Gaming Headsets vs Regular Headsets

nzpancakes

So I plan on getting some new headphones soon, these are one of the choices I could make : https://www.walmart.com/ip/117075265 or I could go with these gaming headphones :https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G230-Stereo-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00BFOEY4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476046011&sr=8-2&keywords=Logitech+G430 they both have good reviews and are used by reputable people, I want the audio technica ones because they dont have the mic and I could get an external one and use them outside, but on the other hand the g230s have an included mic so I dont have to get a separate one, and another trade off might be that the g230s have surround sound and Im not sure about the audio technicas. My question is : Will the audio technicas still have surround sound that can easily do what the g230s can and help me with gaming so I can tell what direction an enemy is coming from

Basically, can I get the audio technicas and still have pretty much still have the surround sound that I need for gaming?

audio technicas 

=======================Current Build=======================

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz Overclocked

GPU: Gigabyte GTX980 @ 1200 Mhz Oveclocked GPU boost 1400Mhz

Memory: Corsair Dominator 16Gb @ 3200 Mhz

Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

Storage: Corsair Force GS 128Gb + WD2TB + Seagate 1TB

PSU: Corsair HX650

Lighting: NZXT HUE+ with extension

Display: LG 34' Ultrawide 3440x1440

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow x Chroma + Razer Firefly + Razer Mamba Chroma

Headphones: Astro A40 + Miniamp

the audio technicas are stereo are stereo i believe, so that means you wont get the same effect from the surround headset 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

something to note headsets have a build in mic, headphones does not 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

2 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

:/ thats what you commented?

Buy the AudioTechnica headphones and download the Razer Surround software which will enable surround sound for gaming...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Oswin said:

something to note headsets have a build in mic, headphones does not 

I got that, I already had a seperate mic picked out for if I got regular headphones

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Buy the AudioTechnica headphones and download the Razer Surround software which will enable surround sound for gaming...

Is that...actually a thing?....

something from techquickie to help you out 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

1 minute ago, Oswin said:

the audio technicas are stereo are stereo i believe, so that means you wont get the same effect from the surround headset 

Surround is software based 99% of the time, so you can get the same effect with any headphones you want!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, nzpancakes said:

Is that...actually a thing?....

Yup, 

http://www.razerzone.com/surround

If you want surround sound the the audio technicas you'll need to get a USB soundcard (or download razer surround like the others said) that has it.

The Audio Techincas will most likely deliver better sowund (haven't listened to either of them) but the Audio Techinica M series have really poor soundstage so if you are mostly gaming and not listening to music i would go with the Logitech ones.

Just now, Oswin said:

something from techquickie to help you out 

I watched this.. but I didnt understand :(

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Surround is software based 99% of the time, so you can get the same effect with any headphones you want!

keep in mind it is not genuine surround drivers so you will still have some difference with the genuine one  

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, nzpancakes said:

I watched this.. but I didnt understand :(

Gaming headsets: Worse sound quality, have mic and have built in surround

Regular Headsets: Better sound quality, don't have mic and need software for surround

Just now, Oswin said:

keep in mind it is not genuine surround drivers so you will still have some difference with the genuine one  

http://www.razerzone.com/surround

Take a look at this link

Even Razer's 7.1 headphones REQUIRE that software for 7.1 surround (From personal experience)

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Gaming headsets: Worse sound quality, have mic and have built in surround

Regular Headsets: Better sound quality, don't have mic and need software for surround

Audio Technica's M series has piss poor soundstage though. 

Edited by Guest
Fucked up

1 minute ago, HydraGaming said:

Audio Technica's M series has piss poor soundstage though. 

I have heard that Audiotechnica is the best in the business, together with Sennheiser...

Normally, regular hedphones focus on sound quality instead of "gamer" oriented features

1 minute ago, acheahead said:

The G230s doesn't have "surround sound", from what I can tell.
I haven't tried any Logitech headsets, so I can't tell you anything about their sound signature.
An example is how bass-heavy old steelseries headset have been (I don't know about the newer versions), even when using no EQ settings when listening to music.
It works perfect with some music genres, and heavy sounds from games will have some "extra weight behind it" because of this.

While I don't know how Logitech headsets sound (I only own some Logitech speakers...), I also don't know the how well Audio Technica sounds just yet - They're on my top3 of headsets to buy 'n try :P
I'm sure the Audio Technicas will have a more neutral approach to the sounds (if comparing them to my old Siberia V2), but I'm also unsure about how much of an improvement you'd be getting in terms of audio quality (Again, I haven't tried them :/).

... Without having searched for reviews or anything, and simply judging the headsets by price (which is a bad idea 90% of the time) I'm thinking the Audio Technicas here are... Good? But not "great great" (like their upper tier cousins).
... I hope I'm making sense (I'm probably not xD).

If you want audio quality, and aren't concerned with a Microphone (which you aren't); I'm more than sure the Audio Technicas will have a more subtle approach to the listening experience, if comparing them with other gaming-headsets.
For others I'd recommend the Logitech headset, since it has a microphone and the price seems right for a product like that - My thoughts on this is:
If you game 80% of the time while wearing the headset, and you don't have a microphone beforehand: The Logitech would be the solid choice, since it offers more solutions.
The Logitech headset also doesn't have surround sound nor RGB lights (which I like NOT paying for).

Also please listen to this video, with the worst pair of in-ears you have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILYM4hdfAVs (Virtual barbershop for those that already knows it).

There's no need for emulated surround sound ^^

First off, nice touch at the end there, but ive already seen it, secondly I actually thought it had surround sound, thirdly I think you just convinced me to get the audio technicas

Just now, acheahead said:

You did also notice I haven't tried Logitech headsets, so I don't know how they are in the sound department?
Thanks for your kinds words - Also, please check the edit I did at the end. I'd recommend you listening to @HydraGaming more than me.
He mentions the M series having a bad sound stage (probably compared to other higher end headphones), but also that the sound quality should be better in these, compared to the Logitech.

In any case, I'm happy I could help.
I just hope you noticed some of the great input from the others ^^

Yes I did notice you said you didnt try logitech headsets, also thank you for making the sound quality part simpler to understand, and I am noticing all of it, its just alot to take in and kinda complicated to me to be honest

What kind of budget are we looking at?

And do you have a private room were you wont be disturbed/disturb others? (Open headphones leak sound but have larger soundstage)

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I have heard that Audiotechnica is the best in the business, together with Sennheiser...

Normally, regular hedphones focus on sound quality instead of "gamer" oriented features

Sennheiser HD (those who are open, some are closed in that series) series and Audio Technica AD series are some of the better choices when it comes to gaming headphones due to their open soundstage. Then you can look within those series to find the sound signature that best suits you. 

On 10/23/2016 at 6:21 AM, HydraGaming said:

What kind of budget are we looking at?

And do you have a private room were you wont be disturbed/disturb others? (Open headphones leak sound but have larger soundstage)

Sorry for taking so long to respond, probably around $35-$45 range ($55 Max). And I do have a private room.

18 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Sorry for taking so long to respond, probably around $35-$45 range ($55 Max). And I do have a private room.

These headphones from Superlux get a lot of praise over their soundstage, low price and decent sound (but treble is too high, so if you have sensitive ears i would either go with the Koss Porta Pro or the Logitech G230 instead).

HD681 (more bass than the 668): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHIPYI/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2

HD668: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JOETX8/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

52 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

These headphones from Superlux get a lot of praise over their soundstage, low price and decent sound (but treble is too high, so if you have sensitive ears i would either go with the Koss Porta Pro or the Logitech G230 instead).

HD681 (more bass than the 668): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHIPYI/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2

HD668: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JOETX8/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Cool! thanks for the suggestions!