Survey for mac owners.

mrchow19910319

How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.   

110 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.

• I upgrade whenever Apple comes out with new model. (Cutting edge tech is important to me, also I have the budget, so why not?)
    • Within 3 years. (Mostly I try to use what I have, but sometimes the newer model is hard to resist. I hate impulse purchase but sometimes it feels great to own what you wanna own immediately.)
    • 3-5 years. (Typical electronics life expectancy here.)
    • More than 5 years. (I love my hardware and I treat them with care. My macs can last more than 5 years easily.)
    • No matter how old the machine is, if it works, I will use it. When it dies I throw it away and buy the latest highest end one and make it last as longer as it could. (I am not poor, by any means. But I treat my financial decisions very carefully because every bit counts. )

7 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Let me go one step further.  I still use a PowerBook G4 12"

Uh. Wow. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Uh. Wow. 

Yeah, it's a pretty nice setup.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

35 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Yeah, it's a pretty nice setup.  

I assume that you use it for web browsing and some office work only? 

27 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I assume that you use it for web browsing and some office work only? 

Very light web browsing.  Note taking mostly.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

i'm still rocking my 2011 Macbook Pro.

I've done a few upgrades it's got an i7-2635QM, Radeon 6490M, 16gb DDR3 Corsair Vegence, 500gb 850 Pro SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo for secondary CD drive swap.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

I am still on my first Mac cycle. Got my iMac in 2011 and MBA in 2012. Both are still working great and I don't feel pressured to upgrade anytime soon. The current MacBook pros use USB C ports. I might upgrade in another 2 years time when the USB C peripheral market is more mature. 

That I am also increasingly moving towards an iPad-centric workflow also complicates matters. Currently using a 9.7" iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil, and if iOS continues to improve on iPad productivity, my next "Mac" might be a larger iPad Pro if I feel comfortable transitioning to it altogether. 

So honestly, I don't know. I am envisioning an iMac at home for heavy lifting and an iPad Pro outside for mobility. 

9 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

i'm still rocking my 2011 Macbook Pro.

I've done a few upgrades it's got an i7-2635QM, Radeon 6490M, 16gb DDR3 Corsair Vegence, 500gb 850 Pro SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo for secondary CD drive swap.

That machine is a beast...... xD

My mac LC still runs well , needed a new fan tho

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, abazigal said:

I am still on my first Mac cycle. Got my iMac in 2011 and MBA in 2012. Both are still working great and I don't feel pressured to upgrade anytime soon. The current MacBook pros use USB C ports. I might upgrade in another 2 years time when the USB C peripheral market is more mature. 

That I am also increasingly moving towards an iPad-centric workflow also complicates matters. Currently using a 9.7" iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil, and if iOS continues to improve on iPad productivity, my next "Mac" might be a larger iPad Pro if I feel comfortable transitioning to it altogether. 

So honestly, I don't know. I am envisioning an iMac at home for heavy lifting and an iPad Pro outside for mobility. 

I mean no disrespect, but you are the only person that I've known of saying that ipad pro can one day replace your mac. 

I wonder what kind of work do you do??? Cos for me, even let's say that I can do all my work on an ipad I still wouldn't trade my mac for it. 

If between macOS and iOS I have to choose one, I will always go for MacOS. 

3 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

My mac LC still runs well , needed a new fan tho

Mac LC????

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Mac LC????

Apple_macintosh_lcII.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

13 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

Apple_macintosh_lcII.jpg

Nice!

Here are the one's I've got and they both work. I play games on the Wazz machine all the time. 

14317574_10205503289701273_4955492764647430967_n.jpg

14358651_10205503288701248_1502013244159919767_n.jpg

14358699_10205503289221261_7405732919398911827_n.jpg

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

Nice!

Here are the one's I've got and they both work. I play games on the Wazz machine all the time. 

neat , i still have a 40 meg external HDD for that mac classic , and that pic i posted is from wiki , mine is a tad yellowed and has the color screen but otherwise the same 

PSU Tier list

10 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

neat , i still have a 40 meg external HDD for that mac classic , and that pic i posted is from wiki , mine is a tad yellowed and has the color screen but otherwise the same 

I've got boxes of games and other disks

14333077_10205503287501218_7018939039362925771_n.jpg

14344293_10205503287821226_5216378267060265535_n.jpg

On 10/23/2016 at 10:17 AM, tatte said:

Sounds like there's something wrong with your trackpad. If the physical function still happens (i.e. the trackpad moves when you press it), you might want to try resetting NVRAM/PRAM.

It nearly sounded like you'd be having overheating issues, but since it runs CS:GO that's probably not the case. I guess it's just slow then. Bummer.

If its over heating get a fan control app

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

9 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

@Icuw1pc @Space Reptile 

I only knew Mac after 2007. Lol. 

I've always been a fan, they were an into into computers for me. I'm not really a big fan anymore, the company pretty much lost it's way since Jobs died.

6 hours ago, Icuw1pc said:

I've always been a fan, they were an into into computers for me. I'm not really a big fan anymore, the company pretty much lost it's way since Jobs died.

Most of the decisions they made/ are making currently are questionable. 

For me I really want them to give mac mini a bump. 

Look at how many video/photo editing pros are fed up cos their current mac/mac pro/macbook pro are way too underpowered for them pros. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Most of the decisions they made/ are making currently are questionable. 

For me I really want them to give mac mini a bump. 

Look at how many video/photo editing pros are fed up cos their current mac/mac pro/macbook pro are way too underpowered for them pros. 

Yea that's for sure, this is when companies like Lenovo with rise up. Their Thinkpad series T,X,Y are awesome, and in my opinion the T's are legendary. IBM made an awesome machine, they are sleek powerhouses. 

2 minutes ago, Icuw1pc said:

Yea that's for sure, this is when companies like Lenovo with rise up. Their Thinkpad series T,X,Y are awesome, and in my opinion the T's are legendary. IBM made an awesome machine, they are sleek powerhouses. 

Well. My next laptop is still gonna be a macbook though... :P 

Yeah I heard a lot of people gave praises to thinkpad.

I have a MBPR from mid 2012. The battery is due for a replacement. But it will probable be used for another 6 years.

For work I have a MBA from 2011, which also has a battery issue. My old MB white from 2006 is used daily by my wife, updated with a SSD and a new battery. My 2003 MB is used by my son, who uses it to do basic (he's 7) school work. I still connect my G5, G4 and Mac mini from time to time, but they don't do anything on a daily basis. Mac's can be used for a long time!

However the new Macbook are really expensive, especially when you also need to buy all sorts of adaptors to use any of the connectors and hardware I own. Plus I would really like to go for a 13 inch, but that only has a duo core and onboard graphics. 

So, now I have decided to build my first desktop pc. Which will cost me a lot less.

11 minutes ago, rnlddbr said:

I have a MBPR from mid 2012. The battery is due for a replacement. But it will probable be used for another 6 years.

For work I have a MBA from 2011, which also has a battery issue. My old MB white from 2006 is used daily by my wife, updated with a SSD and a new battery. My 2003 MB is used by my son, who uses it to do basic (he's 7) school work. I still connect my G5, G4 and Mac mini from time to time, but they don't do anything on a daily basis. Mac's can be used for a long time!

However the new Macbook are really expensive, especially when you also need to buy all sorts of adaptors to use any of the connectors and hardware I own. Plus I would really like to go for a 13 inch, but that only has a duo core and onboard graphics. 

So, now I have decided to build my first desktop pc. Which will cost me a lot less.

I don't plan on replacing my MBP, if it ever dies I've got a collection of Thinkpads. I'm willing to bet it still remains a beast for at least 5 more years.

32 minutes ago, rnlddbr said:

Ah...... Apple is losing its fanbase...

Even core user like you consider pc as a good alternative....

It's kind of sad... 

I only got myself familiar with mac after the 1st iphone came out.

Mind if I ask you that through out the history of mac, do they cost as much as today??? 

What I mean is that when you buy your 2003 macbook, the mac g4&g5 do they cos as much as today's machine? where windows pc can cost half of the price tag??

Does apple always make their customer pay this much of extra??? Or it is a recent year phenomenon, because of iphone become more and more popular so apple decided to charge more extra when it comes to mac cos apple knows that the consumers will be lured into their eco system.

Hope I made myself clear. 

Edit:typo.

Edited by mrchow19910319