Survey for mac owners.

mrchow19910319

How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.   

110 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you upgrade your hardware. a.k.a how often do you purchase new macs.

• I upgrade whenever Apple comes out with new model. (Cutting edge tech is important to me, also I have the budget, so why not?)
    • Within 3 years. (Mostly I try to use what I have, but sometimes the newer model is hard to resist. I hate impulse purchase but sometimes it feels great to own what you wanna own immediately.)
    • 3-5 years. (Typical electronics life expectancy here.)
    • More than 5 years. (I love my hardware and I treat them with care. My macs can last more than 5 years easily.)
    • No matter how old the machine is, if it works, I will use it. When it dies I throw it away and buy the latest highest end one and make it last as longer as it could. (I am not poor, by any means. But I treat my financial decisions very carefully because every bit counts. )

How long does your Mac last for you?

It does not matter whether it is a laptop or All in one or desktop.

Also when you upgrade what do you do with your older machine?

Give it away to relatives(children)? Sell it for some cash back? Or throw away the dysfunctional machine and forget about it?

If you do sell your mac, how much money can you get back normally? 20%? 30%??

People said that macs have a higher resell value when compares to PC. Is it true??? 

*This is not a Mac vs PC debate thread. Leave those comment out of this thread. Thanks. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I have one old mac for mac only applications. It won't die, it's like 14.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

When I used to like Apple, I bought the things I could afford because their shit is overpriced, especially for Canadians like me.

3 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I have one old mac for mac only applications. It won't die, it's like 14.

14 years old??? holy....

2 minutes ago, Jed M said:

When I used to like Apple, I bought the things I could afford because their shit is overpriced, especially for Canadians like me.

yeah I heard that a lot of the things (especially electronics) are quite more expensive in Canada. For people like us who are not from the US, we cannot compare our local prices to the original US prices. Just don't do it......

Speaking for my dad here, it would be either the last or the second last option.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I used to own an iMac running Windows, was semi decent for the hardware it had.. a C2D something and some HD 3800 series GPU :P I probably would've upgraded to another Mac if I started trying to play modern games.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

My family has a 2009 iMac and a 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro. Both still work great and we have no reason to replace either of them.

4 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

My family has a 2009 iMac and a 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro. Both still work great and we have no reason to replace either of them.

I am using a 2012 non-retina macbook too,. Installed a SSD in it. Works like a charm.

Generally every three years, but for none of the reasons listed in the poll.

When I get a new one, I sell the old one on Craigslist. 

2 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

Generally every three years, but for none of the reasons listed in the poll.

When I get a new one, I sell the old one on Craigslist. 

How much can you get when selling it???

20-30% of the original price??? Or more? 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

How much can you get when selling it???

20-30% of the original price??? Or more? 

Whatever the market value is for it.  There's no way to establish a baseline percentage like that.  What I do is just search eBay and Craigslist for similar models and compare the condition of mine to the ones I find already for sale, and then I adjust my price accordingly.  My stuff is usually in top cosmetic condition (I take care of my things) and I keep the original box and everything that came with it. That always helps with value, plus it instills a little confidence in the buyer with the idea that since I still have the box in good condition, I must be the kind of person that also takes care of what came in the box. 

NULL

* I deleted this conversational input because LTT doesn't permit discussion of Hackintosh so I won't post any Apple content at all.

I beatbox 

4 hours ago, RypeDub said:

I am about to replace the HDD with an SDD and max the RAM to 8GB, currently it's at 4GB of the best Crucial RAM 2x2GB sticks.

After 1 year of purchasing my macbook (2012 non retina one) I replaced the HDD to a SSD.

Let me tell you, it feels like a new machine. 

Go do it asap. You will love your macbook more....

i just bought a MacBook air to do some iOS programming and i really like the design. Other manufacturers are bringing out aluminium laptops now so when it gets old ill replace with whatever they have in place of the mac mini; unless they do something super spectacular with future laptops

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i just bought a MacBook air to do some iOS programming and i really like the design. Other manufacturers are bringing out aluminium laptops now so when it gets old ill replace with whatever they have in place of the mac mini; unless they do something super spectacular with future laptops

Mac minis are great too. Just remember to snap a SSD in it...

I can't use a mac that does not have SSD.... 

Ive been using a MacBook pro for about 5 years now. To this day no touchpad on a windows laptop has ever been better...

i have no idea how they do it

7 minutes ago, Harinder said:

Ive been using a MacBook pro for about 5 years now. To this day no touchpad on a windows laptop has ever been better...

i have no idea how they do it

Indeed. Lots of people have been saying the same thing.

17 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Mac minis are great too. Just remember to snap a SSD in it...

I can't use a mac that does not have SSD.... 

i can't use any computer without an SSD. I just can't stand the slowness and the clicking noises of grandad drives. I was considering getting a new mac mini for the desktop coz they're rather cheap and comparable to the intel NUC, but I'm waiting for the product updates at the end of this month. Hopefully a mac mini with display port & HDMI with those new nvidia 1080 mobile GPU's :P

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I think my g5 still works, if it dies I probably wont replace it, haven't powered the thing on in years. It was only ever used as a spare for people who visited, picked it up for free.

and macbook pro touch pads are absolutely fantastic, only other that comes close is my asus zenbook, close but still not as good.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

36 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Hopefully a mac mini with display port & HDMI with those new nvidia 1080 mobile GPU's :P

I... I wouldn't cross my fingers on it...... :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P 

13 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

I think my g5 still works, if it dies I probably wont replace it, haven't powered the thing on in years. It was only ever used as a spare for people who visited, picked it up for free.

and macbook pro touch pads are absolutely fantastic, only other that comes close is my asus zenbook, close but still not as good.

G5 holy shit.... I only knew macbook/macbook pros after 2008 I think.... wasn't that tech savvy before that

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

G5 holy shit.... I only knew macbook/macbook pros after 2008 I think.... wasn't that tech savvy before that

Yea was a freeby from an old job when we upgraded to intel mac pros, if it want nuts hardware advancements, the $30,000 audio accelerator cards we put in those g5's have now been made obsolete by the advancements in host processing power.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I have never gotten a brand new Mac, I buy them used for better value. That might remove me from your target audience, but I'll share a couple of thoughts anyway. Hopefully you'll forgive me. Right now I have a 2006 Mac Pro, a 2009 Mac Mini and a 2010 Macbook Pro.

I credit the retained resell value to two factors: aluminum Macs' design ages really well and the OS X has a great backwards compatibility with older hardware. I'm typing this from a 2006 Mac Pro with El Capitan installed (second newest OS X version). In general Macs age very well. Brand new generic Windows devices can be really cheap, making selling old Windows machines that much harder as well.

There's a site for estimating a Mac's resell value: http://www.mac2sell.net. It's of course only suggestive. There are also companies that give a real estimate of what they'd pay for your particular configuration, providing a more concrete estimate of the actual value.

What comes to me, I'll probably upgrade the Macbook Pro with a little bit newer one if it dies, the Mac Pro I can keep alive by changing parts if necessary and the Mac Mini probably sinks into the history should it fail. With the direction Apple currently has, I won't ever be touching many of their currently newest models. I love their design, but I also require more functionality than a single port on a laptop or a phone.

Fun fact! 53% of my Steam game library currently supports OS X, two years back only one third was available. 

I used to be one that would automatically replace after any of my Mac's died, but now with the decline in Apple I don't know if that will continue. I love the software and will continue to use it through my hackintosh, but not sure if i will buy new hardware. I currently have a 2010 MacBook Pro that is in original condition that acts up a little bit, but completely usable with a 2 hour battery life under full load. My wife has a 21 inch iMac from 2013 that could stand an SSD sometimes but other than that no need to change anything there.