What to do with old "hp proliant dl120 g6" server, Should I sell it or just get its parts?

I got this "hp proliant dl120 g6" from the old office.
Can someone tell me if what can I do with this kind of server?

Thank's in advance.

14813636_10205834953391471_53760459_n.jpg

Sell it, it's not worth the electricity costs to run it (it would be cheaper after like a year or two to buy something new if you actually want a server running 24/7).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

ill take it.

for free.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Sell it, it's not worth the electricity costs to run it (it would be cheaper after like a year or two to buy something new if you actually want a server running 24/7).

Thank's for the reply.

How much do you think I can sell it?
I am also worrying if they can still retrieve the previous company files if I sold it to someone. 

4 minutes ago, Goodman2265 said:

ill take it.

for free.

I can't I need money so I can upgrade my computer. xD

5 minutes ago, markconan1 said:

Thank's for the reply.

How much do you think I can sell it?
I am also worrying if they can still retrieve the previous company files if I sold it to someone. 

What are the exact specs of it? tbh, you probably won't be able to get much from it...$50~ maybe? 

And yes, I wouldn't sell it with any drives -- it's not worth the risk/liability. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What are the exact specs of it? tbh, you probably won't be able to get much from it...$50~ maybe? 

And yes, I wouldn't sell it with any drives -- it's not worth the risk/liability. 

I never opened its casing since I got it. And it have a password upon turning on. Company gave it so I think there are no important data in there.
But I think I will remove the hardisks before selling.

Here is the page where you can see its specs. This was bought brand new on 2012 I think. 
http://www.ts.avnet.com/fr/images/build_oem_better/hp_documents/ProLiant-DL120G6.pdf

4 minutes ago, markconan1 said:

I never opened its casing since I got it. And it have a password upon turning on. Company gave it so I think there are no important data in there.
But I think I will remove the hardisks before selling.

Here is the page where you can see its specs. This was bought brand new on 2012 I think. 
http://www.ts.avnet.com/fr/images/build_oem_better/hp_documents/ProLiant-DL120G6.pdf

There's probably nothing super sensitive on it, but there is still likely information that the company doesn't want to get out. Consider the company's expectations....I interned at a company one summer and at one point I ended up disposing of a bunch of old drives/servers (they wanted to disks to be physically broken so data retrieval would be impossible, but my boss let me have any drives I wanted. The reason being that he didn't expect me to use the information nor did he expect me to sell it. 

The reason I asked about the specific specs is because most G6s have a Xeon, but yours has a pentium sticker on it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So you had a same scenario before.
But you sold it anyway? >.<

yeah, now I wonder why it have that sticker, maybe they just placed that one there.
Intel Pentium is not very good for server I think.
I will open the case tomorrow and check the processor.

So the best thing to do here is to remove the hard disks and sell it?

I hope there's someone expert that know the real price of this servers.

46 minutes ago, markconan1 said:

yeah, now I wonder why it have that sticker, maybe they just placed that one there.

I didn't take home a server, I just took home a single 80gb drive since I wanted to test something. The drives were useless to me (the electricity costs to run multiple 80gb drives would outweigh the cost of a single larger new drive) -- so I only actually took home one of them and now it's just sitting in a closet on a shelf. 

A simple file server doesn't need much power -- a pentium is more than powerful enough. So it entirely depends on the use case as to whether or not a pentium is good or bad. 

There are DL120 G6s on Ebay for like $100~ (there are also a few listings at $70~) with quad core Xeons, so $50 is about what I'd expect. But again, specific specs can make a difference. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, markconan1 said:

The price depends on the specifications.

Older servers are cheap. About $100-200 for a used Dell R710, and they often come with crazy amounts of RAM (I have seen 128GB in an R710). It can be worth buying some of them on Ebay just for the RAM.

It would run a web server or NAS fine. Pentiums are absolutely brilliant. Just not as good as a Core 2, Xeon or i3/i5/i7.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't take home a server, I just took home a single 80gb drive since I wanted to test something. The drives were useless to me (the electricity costs to run multiple 80gb drives would outweigh the cost of a single larger new drive) -- so I only actually took home one of them and now it's just sitting in a closet on a shelf. 

A simple file server doesn't need much power -- a pentium is more than powerful enough. So it entirely depends on the use case as to whether or not a pentium is good or bad. 

There are DL120 G6s on Ebay for like $100~ (there are also a few listings at $70~) with quad core Xeons, so $50 is about what I'd expect. But again, specific specs can make a difference. 

Yes, I checked the price on ebay and the price range from $50 to $100 without hard drives and low RAM above those price I think are probably over priced.

Thank you for your help, I now have an Idea on what can I do with this drive!:D

11 minutes ago, Emmien said:

The price depends on the specifications.

Older servers are cheap. About $100-200 for a used Dell R710, and they often come with crazy amounts of RAM (I have seen 128GB in an R710). It can be worth buying some of them on Ebay just for the RAM.

It would run a web server or NAS fine. Pentiums are absolutely brilliant. Just not as good as a Core 2, Xeon or i3/i5/i7.

I will keep that in mind.
I will check inside the case and check if how many RAMS are there before deciding about the price.

Thanks! :)