Case fan help!

Chaos_Sorcerer

After lowering my CPU fan speeds in the BIOS, my CPU seems to be very quiet, even under load (BTW, thanks again, @WoodenMarker). But my graphics card is pretty loud, I've noticed. I've tried lowering fan speeds in Afterburner, and that settles the noise issue, but it makes my temps go up a whole lot. So I've been considering adding some case fans lately. And I'm really not sure what I should do.

Are there specific case fan models that are better for intake, and some that are better for exhaust? Should I really replace my exhaust fan (there's only one slot, and my Fractal fan seems to be doing OK)? What are some good, affordable case fans (please no no-names)? I've been looking at the SP lineup from Corsair, the Silent Wings lineup from Be Quiet!, and the Venturi stuff from Fractal. 

Any suggestions? Do I even need more case fans? You might think that more case fans will increase the noise, but I'm planning on having lots of fans running at low speeds. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

If you want quiet fans, I would recommend a noctua fan, or something like corsair's newly released magnet-levitation bearing fan series.

5 minutes ago, TheProfessionalAmateurs said:

If you want quiet fans, I would recommend a noctua fan, or something like corsair's newly released magnet-levitation bearing fan series.

Are the Noctua fans worth it at that price? I want two more case fans, and I don't wanna have to drop $60 CAD for them. I also can't stand the look...are they really that great?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Dont get too many fans in the case like i did. Now i have to keep one of my outtake fans at a low rpm to keep a positive pressure but the led is good

=======================Current Build=======================

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz Overclocked

GPU: Gigabyte GTX980 @ 1200 Mhz Oveclocked GPU boost 1400Mhz

Memory: Corsair Dominator 16Gb @ 3200 Mhz

Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

Storage: Corsair Force GS 128Gb + WD2TB + Seagate 1TB

PSU: Corsair HX650

Lighting: NZXT HUE+ with extension

Display: LG 34' Ultrawide 3440x1440

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow x Chroma + Razer Firefly + Razer Mamba Chroma

Headphones: Astro A40 + Miniamp

is your case the r5 with or without the window? a side mounted fan would be optimal to increase airflow to the gpu,

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

16 minutes ago, DrM said:

is your case the r5 with or without the window? a side mounted fan would be optimal to increase airflow to the gpu,

It's a solid side panel. Are there certain requirements for the side-mounted fan? 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

But my graphics card is pretty loud, I've noticed. I've tried lowering fan speeds in Afterburner, and that settles the noise issue, but it makes my temps go up a whole lot. So I've been considering adding some case fans lately. And I'm really not sure what I should do.

Honestly, all you can do is move a degree up or down here and there. The only true escape from the noise-temperature trade-off you currently face is by replacing the GPU cooler. Think of it by analogy to CPU cooling: while a fan here or there can make some difference, the only way around stock cooler noise and stock cooler temps is replacing the cooler altogether.

44 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Any suggestions? Do I even need more case fans? You might think that more case fans will increase the noise, but I'm planning on having lots of fans running at low speeds. 

That would mean they serve mainly for decoration :P 

2 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

It's a solid side panel. Are there certain requirements for the side-mounted fan? 

no, as long as your gpu isnt too wide that it blocks the fan. just adding a single fan on the side should drop gpu temps significantly.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Honestly, all you can do is move a degree up or down here and there. The only true escape from the noise-temperature trade-off you currently face is by replacing the GPU cooler. Think of it by analogy to CPU cooling: while a fan here or there can make some difference, the only way around stock cooler noise and stock cooler temps is replacing the cooler altogether.

That would mean they serve mainly for decoration :P 

I can't replace the cooler, really. It's a Windforce card, so it's got a custom PCB. I guess you're right. But I can definitely add some more case fans for the GPU cooler that I can't add. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

What fans curve are you using for the graphics card and what are your load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fans curve are you using for the graphics card and what are your load temps?

Fans curve? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term.

My load temps are like 80 degrees, when I have the fan speeds on auto. When I have the speeds turned down, I reach pretty dangerous temperatures, so I can only lower the speeds so much. 

Remember, it's an AMD card :P

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Fans curve? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term.

My load temps are like 80 degrees, when I have the fan speeds on auto. When I have the speeds turned down, I reach pretty dangerous temperatures, so I can only lower the speeds so much. 

Remember, it's an AMD card :P

In the Msi Afterburner settings > Fan, you can set a custom fan curve that has the speed respond to the temps instead of just a static fan speed. 

ba756e3f12e660f684d45d2c2ccb8f6e.png

Have you tried undervolting or lowering the power limit? Doing so can lower temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

In the Msi Afterburner settings > Fan, you can set a custom fan curve that has the speed respond to the temps instead of just a static fan speed. 

ba756e3f12e660f684d45d2c2ccb8f6e.png

Have you tried undervolting or lowering the power limit? Doing so can lower temps. 

Thank you so much! I'll try that right now.

By the way, if you're wondering why your post was marked "funny", it's because I hit that button by accident. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler