Cleaning my PC

kotvid7

5 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

That converter is more of a power hazard than a dusty PSU lol, imo get some compressed air in an aerosol can. 

I got sick of the cost of the cans and the cold hands so I went and got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500P-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001U899HQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1477150700&sr=1-2&keywords=electronics+duster

@kotvid7 I saw you needed an EU plug, but you could probably find that blower (it's NOT a vacuum cleaner, that's the name of the company) with one.

It's obnoxiously loud, but holy balls does it get the dust out. Definitely use it outside and you'll probably want eye protection and possibly even a face mask depending on your dust level.

I looked but couldnt find it as those are ment for use in cars

The one you linked is too expensive though, as I havent cleaned the PC in a year, but i intend to clean it every 3-4 months...

14 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I got sick of the cost of the cans and the cold hands so I went and got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500P-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001U899HQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1477150700&sr=1-2&keywords=electronics+duster

@kotvid7 I saw you needed an EU plug, but you could probably find that blower (it's NOT a vacuum cleaner, that's the name of the company) with one.

It's obnoxiously loud, but holy balls does it get the dust out. Definitely use it outside and you'll probably want eye protection and possibly even a face mask depending on your dust level.

I have one of these too and they're fantastic. Worth and and super powerful, way better than duster and cheaper over time.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

8 minutes ago, kotvid7 said:

How much cans do you need for 1 cleaning?

The 'normal' size cans, if it hasn't been cleaned for a year, probably 2 or 3, if not more. Honestly, it's worth it to just buy one of those blowers, especially if you want to clean it every 3-4 months or so. I personally have found myself cleaning my PC more now that I have the blower since I don't have to deal with the shit cans. And it's easier to clean when it isn't absolutely clogged with dust. I also got a little static-free duster brush thing for the nooks and crannies (I'm a bit AR when it comes to cleaning the dust).

would a hair dryer with the cold function work?

24 minutes ago, kotvid7 said:

would a hair dryer with the cold function work?

not powerful enough. It's too gentle

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

I guess Ill go with the air cans then. Can I use the sticks for cleaning your ears (not sure how they are called) for cleaning the board?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 8:15 AM, kotvid7 said:

How many cans do I need for one cleaning?

Just one should be sufficient, even if you have dust caked on it should be more than enough for multiple cleanings.

On 10/22/2016 at 10:30 AM, kotvid7 said:

Do yourself a favor and invest in this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7CH6FK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Such a beast...  Canned air will never clean like it does.  And its reusable! And doesn't smell!  And your dickhead friends cant freeze your balls off with it!

Edit: Not sure about international compatibility, but if it will work for you then I personally haven't seen a better alternative.  But I have nothing but hate for canned air, for the reasons you mentioned and it just doesnt really work on "stickier" dust.  Also the brands I buy usually "suck" after 1/3 of can is gone and they aren't cheap!

Update: In the questions on product page says AMAZON EU sells your version.

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

I use my vacuum cleaner. It has adjustable pressure on the nozzle. My computer case wasn't really dusty because of the dust filter built in. The dust was not that thick on my cooler 120mm but it caused my 3570K to run up to the low 80's during heavy game play of BF4. My 970 had little dust on the fan blades but because of the 120MM cooling fans having some dust it ran as high as 74C. After cleaning my CPU only touched 70C on one core while the other cores were high 60's. My 970 GPU hit a max of 66C. 

Bottom line, keep your Computer case clean. 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

32 minutes ago, Columbo said:

I use my vacuum cleaner. It has adjustable pressure on the nozzle.

Sucking dust up is a bad idea.... I seriously hope you mean you're using a blower end type thing on your vacuum 

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

4 minutes ago, poker1059 said:

Sucking dust up is a bad idea.... I seriously hope you mean you're using a blower end type thing on your vacuum 

If I worked for an advertising firm and they asked me to create an add campaign for a vacuum cleaner. If I put your comment in as my slogan, perhaps they would give me the contract. Sucking dust up is a bad idea....

i would hate to see you at Goodyear for an invention of a new design concept. I am serious, we live in a world with fuzzy logic and magical thinking. 

On a side note, I do not have a regular vacuum cleaner. I have what is known as central vac. It sucks all the dust which is a bad idea and puts the crap in a 5 gallon container in my garage. It goes through the walls in my house. 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

10 minutes ago, Columbo said:

I have what is known as central vac

I have a friend who's got that that type of thing, I just saw that you suck with a vacuum and, ya know, static build up plus computers don't usually make a nice bond. 

12 minutes ago, Columbo said:

If I worked for an advertising firm and they asked me to create an add campaign for a vacuum cleaner. If I put your comment in as my slogan, perhaps they would give me the contract. Sucking dust up is a bad idea....

You gotta give me 10% of any profit you make from it then. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, poker1059 said:

I have a friend who's got that that type of thing, I just saw that you suck with a vacuum and, ya know, static build up plus computers don't usually make a nice bond. 

You gotta give me 10% of any profit you make from it then. 

Agreed. 

In all seriousness. I only used the vacuum for the bottom of the metal case and on the heatsink and 120mm fans. I wouldn't put a vacuum anywhere near a motherboard or core components. I used wind power to blow most of the dust off with my limited lung capacity. 

Just now, Columbo said:

Agreed. 

In all seriousness. I only used the vacuum for the bottom of the metal case and on the heatsink and 120mm fans. I wouldn't put a vacuum anywhere near a motherboard or core components. I used wind power to blow most of the dust off with my limited lung capacity. 

Thank God. I was having a bit of a mental breakdown in my chair

Spoiler

On 10/23/2016 at 8:15 AM, kotvid7 said:

How many cans do I need for one cleaning?

look for something similar to this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD3YF8467&cm_re=compressed_air-_-9SIA7RD3YF8467-_-Product. you'll only need 1 can and you can find them at most/all hardware stores. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

56 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

. you'll only need 1 can and you can find them at most/all hardware stores. 

That's an understatement, I use 2-3 of those cans for my PC 

Spoiler