Axon 7 $600. Pixel XL $1400. What gives???

I know i've seen 2 or 3 posts similar to this but oh well...

Comparing prices to buy my first ever smart phone (yes. get excited)

Upgrading from this:

530201344247PM_635_nokia_c2_01.png

Looking at Australian retail, the Axon 7 launches in Aus next week for $600 at launch. This is comprable to the One Plus 3, which makes sense. Choose what you want to focus on, either sound or ram. pay the same price. Linus said similar in his Axon review. 

Then, pixel launches, and everyone talks awesome about it. I am about to click buy on the ZTE and decide to check out the other team.

The pixel xl sports almost idential hardware to the Axon 7 (according to GSMArena), but retails in australia through JB Hi Fi for a whopping $1400!!!

What the actual and absolute heck! iPhone 7 is $1200, so i could get a really good bluetooth headphones TOO for that cost!

iphone7lineup.jpg

The specs between the axon 7 and pixel xl are really similar. Both are 1440p amoled displays. both are 4gb rams. Both have good cameras (I expect the pixel to have better software and autofocus, but the zte is f1.8 compared to f2.0)

The pixel really delivers through on the camera (trumpeting the "best smartphone camera ever", apparently a weekly prize), while the zte is the only phone since the HTC One m8 to do really good sound, and has "broken the sound test" of some reviewers by being that loud and good! 

I'd rather go for the sound anyway, and this is the ONLY phone doing anything about it. Meanwhile, every single phone now has a very good camera, so i can forego an outstanding camera.

The zte is a snapdragon 820. The pixel is an 821, which by Qualcom's own materal is practically an identical chip, instead "building upon" the 820 and only really improves on "VR performance", which we all know is rubbish on mobile anyway.

post-25-0-26350700-1475074748.jpg

So i know that because the pixel is a first party google phone, the software will be great. And that's what they want you to think. But how polished can something really get?? Google has always subsidised their first party phones, and they're practically the largest company on the planet now. 

ZTE-Axon-7-vs-Honor-8-18-840x560.jpg

Seriously, what gives??? What can make a phone cost $1400??? Apple is the benchmark for overkill price, and they're $200 cheaper!! The zte is the same hardware, maybe better, with less great software, for 40% of the cost.

Please enlighten me!!

you ge the latest and greatest for $1400....

Just go with the axon 7/1+3, even they offer more performance than you need so...

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 hours ago, dannolt said:

Is it 1400 usd for 32gb or 128gb version ?

It's $1400 for 128gb, which is same as what i'd get through the Axon 7.

2 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

you ge the latest and greatest for $1400....

Just go with the axon 7/1+3, even they offer more performance than you need so...

Yeah i know i'm not here for phone advice. I'm here to figure out how something costs that much.

Apple for a decade how has been the benchmark for overcharging for the sake of design and style. I'm honestly shocked that Google one-up'd them. The Pixel XL is $14 more even than an iphone 7 plus from the apple store - the most expensive place. Apple still holds the crown for best design and most polished software, and most people say that it is that good but not that worth it. 

That combined with google always subsidising their first party options to get more into android. It's just reverse bonkers crazy to me.

Yes, clearly the correct answer is value for horses go for one of the chinese. So i will. Easy solution.