Smartphone benchmarks vs real world? Same as PC benchmarks?

EternalSeeker

Dear LTT,

So in lew of a new phone, I have been checking out store retail models and running benchmarks to make my buying decision better. I ran Antutu on Pixel XL and it got 139000+ and I was amazed (my note only did 138000 before thermal throttling).

So how indicative are these benchmarks to real world scenarios? Like for PC, they are useful for gauging pure compute power and have some accuracy to real world case. So for android, how do benchmarks such as Antutu, geekbench, 3dmark, etc. translate to performance for my use case's:

-Used the phone for calling,texting,social media, etc. 
-Media consumption using a 1440p screen for youtube, netflix, and some native HDR contant, music using lossless files with poweramp and music streaming with spotify 
-Heavy 3D games, emulators, and pokemon Go, etc. 
-Using hpc applications, loading compute payloads using otg, gnuroot to run workstation applications (programming, scripts, sensor data, machine vision, etc.); Use for on the go work but mostly a side/independant work 
-Using drafting application on native andriod and linux (part of the previous point) 
-Used fingerprint and iris scanner, SD card encryption, phone encryption during start up, secure folder, etc. 
-Listen to music using a 3.5mm jack at home and bt headphones on the go/gym 
-Taking pictures, videos, using slow mo and video/picture editing
-etc.
Edited by Glenwing
fixed formatting

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

It basically tests all of those things (memory performance, graphics performance, SD card read/write, etc) and gives you an overall score for the whole package.

So, it's slightly useful, however a phone can completely fail in other areas and make for a horrible experience.

When I look for phones I read multiple reviews and those have always been far better judges of how a phone acts.

The Pixel is supposed to be great though! Other than the bland looks I'd say it's a killer.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 1:45 AM, dizmo said:

It basically tests all of those things (memory performance, graphics performance, SD card read/write, etc) and gives you an overall score for the whole package.

So, it's slightly useful, however a phone can completely fail in other areas and make for a horrible experience.

When I look for phones I read multiple reviews and those have always been far better judges of how a phone acts.

The Pixel is supposed to be great though! Other than the bland looks I'd say it's a killer.

I agree the benchmarks arent the end all for deciding on a phone. My note 7 at full charge got a Antutu score of 141000 now. This would mean the pixel might get a higer Mark. I am only asking so i can decide on the soc poweress for my use scenario. I agree the pixel xl is getting good reviews. I haven't been able to try daydream but the s7e gear VR was amazing to try at the Samsung store. Screenshot_20161022-191908.png

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

2 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

I agree the benchmarks arent the end all for deciding on a phone. My note 7 at full charge got a Antutu score of 141000 now. This would mean the pixel might get a higer Mark. I am only asking so i can decide on the soc poweress for my use scenario. I agree the pixel xl is getting good reviews. I haven't been able to try daydream but the s7e gear VR was amazing to try at the Samsung store.

I almost bought a Gear VR for my Note5, however that phone is now gone and I'm waiting for something better to come along.

Unfortunately nothing has really caught my eye.

I really don't think benchmarks really help you with many, if any of the things you listed.

The Snapdragon 821 is slightly higher in clock, but it's mostly a better performer in the battery category. I don't think it's really meant to be that much better than the 820.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I almost bought a Gear VR for my Note5, however that phone is now gone and I'm waiting for something better to come along.

Unfortunately nothing has really caught my eye.

I really don't think benchmarks really help you with many, if any of the things you listed.

The Snapdragon 821 is slightly higher in clock, but it's mostly a better performer in the battery category. I don't think it's really meant to be that much better than the 820.

Well the clock boost should give some difference. I feel the same about the the benchmarks but i assume the higher scored devices can give better peak performance? I wouldn't mind the exynos on the s7e but idk if it being 6 month old means a thing?

Also the demo was mostly videos of activities. The quality was good and i didn't feel any lag so thats good. Idk about gaming in vr. I dont know how good or comparable daydream VR is to gear vr

4 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

Well the clock boost should give some difference. I feel the same about the the benchmarks but i assume the higher scored devices can give better peak performance? I wouldn't mind the exynos on the s7e but idk if it being 6 month old means a thing?

Also the demo was mostly videos of activities. The quality was good and i didn't feel any lag so thats good. Idk about gaming in vr. I dont know how good or comparable daydream VR is to gear vr

IIRC the graphics processing isn't as strong on the Exynos chip, but it does get considerably better battery life.

Which I'd personally rather have anyway. More power's pointless if the phone isn't charged to use it.

The additional clock, from what I've seen in 821 devices so far, hasn't made a huge impact at all.

It depends. You'd have to look at each benchmark, as they all test in different ways.

I don't think we'll see another Exynos chip until the new year, a few months away. The 821 isn't that different from the 820, so we'll call them par. Thus it's still top dog vs top dog.

I think the most useful part of the VR headset would be video. Complete immersion for flights and other long distance travel. That's why I was considering buying one.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

IIRC the graphics processing isn't as strong on the Exynos chip, but it does get considerably better battery life.

Which I'd personally rather have anyway. More power's pointless if the phone isn't charged to use it.

The additional clock, from what I've seen in 821 devices so far, hasn't made a huge impact at all.

It depends. You'd have to look at each benchmark, as they all test in different ways.

I don't think we'll see another Exynos chip until the new year, a few months away. The 821 isn't that different from the 820, so we'll call them par. Thus it's still top dog vs top dog.

I think the most useful part of the VR headset would be video. Complete immersion for flights and other long distance travel. That's why I was considering buying one.

Yeah video for mobile vr is where it is useful now, Haven't tried any vr games so I cant really judge it yet (I tried the vive and loved it!!).

So would most flagship give equal performance for my use scenario? Also in terms of efficiency for battery. I would want something to last a day and some with heavy use. I am accustomed to 5 to 6 hour sot anyway. Also needs to have great standby time =D

7 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

Yeah video for mobile vr is where it is useful now, Haven't tried any vr games so I cant really judge it yet (I tried the vive and loved it!!).

So would most flagship give equal performance for my use scenario? Also in terms of efficiency for battery. I would want something to last a day and some with heavy use. I am accustomed to 5 to 6 hour sot anyway. Also needs to have great standby time =D

I don't think the VR games for the Gear are supposed to be very good at all. Though at the rate that RAM and such is improving it won't be long before it could be a real contender.

One of my buddies has a Vive, it's pretty great! I wouldn't buy one yet though. He's selling his. Simply not enough out for it yet, and by the time there is, they'll have a refreshed version of it out.

So-so. I don't think many phones will get that kind of screen on time. Samsung definitely has the best screen on time I've seen. I can only imagine what their phones with 7.0 on it will do! My Nexus 5x saw pretty significant gains in stand by when I updated it.

The Kirin processors are a bit hit and miss, but the SD and Exynos are both overall great performers.

Battery life though, is hugely dependent on software and only slightly on hardware.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't think the VR games for the Gear are supposed to be very good at all. Though at the rate that RAM and such is improving it won't be long before it could be a real contender.

One of my buddies has a Vive, it's pretty great! I wouldn't buy one yet though. He's selling his. Simply not enough out for it yet, and by the time there is, they'll have a refreshed version of it out.

So-so. I don't think many phones will get that kind of screen on time. Samsung definitely has the best screen on time I've seen. I can only imagine what their phones with 7.0 on it will do! My Nexus 5x saw pretty significant gains in stand by when I updated it.

The Kirin processors are a bit hit and miss, but the SD and Exynos are both overall great performers.

Battery life though, is hugely dependent on software and only slightly on hardware.

Well before my note 7 was nerfed, it would last two days with medium use. I wonder how good the pixels battery management is !

This is what I get for now!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/bfYCO