Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wrathoftheturkey

Petition to stop using "triggered" ironically

Posted · Original PosterOP

Goddamnit I need to rant about this, even though it isn't going to do shit (I'm not an idiot) it'll help make my thoughts coherent enough to convince people not to do this instead of just frothing at the mouth when they do.

"Triggers" are legitimate problems. They're when people with PTSD are suddenly thrown back to their darkest memories. They're when people with depression are suddenly reminded of their darkest thoughts. Words can hurt a hell lot, especially when your mind is turned against you. Mocking "triggers" is just making people ashamed to say they aren't comfortable talking about something or don't want something brought up. It's not funny, it's just douchebaggery and delegitimizes people who're trying to avoid the darkest corners of their own minds. Just stop.

I swear, if someone comments #triggered... You are the result of an unbroken chain of people who have successfully found a mate and reproduced. I hope for us all that you're the end of that line

PSU Tier List LTT Gender Survey

LTT's self-appointed memelord

Always up for a game of chess

See @STRMfrmXMN @Energycore or @Starelementpoke for PSU needs

See @deXxterlab97 for blue fetishes (if that's your thing)

See @ShadowTechXTS for cats

@Implosivetech's got you covered for all your graphic design needs

And lastly, never put a CX green series PSU in a high end build https://youtu.be/Oybz5Q-If9M?t=7

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Do you realize that, by definition, everything you say ironically will have an alternative, literal meaning that someone may use seriously in a different context?

Dude... This isn't irony, this is on the verge of satire and just outright mockery. Irony is fine within it's rights, but abused like this and the literal meaning gets lost in the process

And lastly, never put a CX green series PSU in a high end build https://youtu.be/Oybz5Q-If9M?t=7

But isn't the ironic use of ´triggered´ aimed at the people that will claim to be triggered by litteraly everything?

While you could argue that the continued ironic use will lead to a delegitimization of people suffering from PTSD, depression, etc., the people who claims to be triggered by any and all things are hindering discussion and are certainly delegitimizing the experiences of people with actual problems.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Sounds like you're... #triggered

:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

But isn't the ironic use of ´triggered´ aimed at the people that will claim to be triggered by litteraly everything?

While you could argue that the continued ironic use will lead to a delegitimization of people suffering from PTSD, depression, etc., the people who claims to be triggered by any and all things are hindering discussion and are certainly delegitimizing the experiences of people with actual problems.

See now if I actually cared about discussion I could work a paragraph or two this way, but I can't. Because I don't care and think all of these "triggers" frankly deserve to be made fun of.

2 hours ago, Trollbot said:

I'll admit it's an annoying trend.

@Trollbot is triggered by the trigger thread.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

No. The meaning of the word has changed, it lost all meaning years ago when feminists started using it as soon as they got offended. 

- snip-

but ltt uses it in their videos so it must be okay.  Because I'm 14 and can't form my own opinions 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

When I use the word "triggered", I'm mocking SJWs and the like.

HP Envy x360 R5 2500U • GooglPixel 3 XL Clearly White 

You could say I'm pretty keen on Google and AMD.

I'm triggered by the fact that you're triggered by people saying they're triggered.

Please don't kill me :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

6 hours ago, Volbet said:

Just don't say triggered, make it out to be a serious thing, provide evidence and bring a buddy or accomplice to soften up the mood, if you have actual problems and want to see a doctor, they won't make fun of you. And if you are really hurt by words, get off the fucking internet and go see a psychiatrist :P 

And so is "lame" 

or even "dumb"

Sys 1

• CPU: R7 1700 || MOBO: Asrock X370 Taichi || RAM: G.Skil TridentZ RGB 16GB || GPU: Msi GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G Golden Edition r9 280x r9 390x  || CASE: NZXT Phantom 410 || WD Blue M.2 + Samsung 850 Evo + Adata SP900 + Seagate HDD || PSU: SuperFlower Leadex 2 650W || Cooling: AMD Spire 

Sys 2

• CPU: i5 4670K || MOBO: Msi Z87-G43  || RAM: Avexir Core 16GB|| GPU: PowerColor TuboDuo r7 265  || CASE: Deepcool Tesseract W || Crucial M500 240gb SSD + 1TB HDD|| PSU: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 600W || Cooling: Intel Generic

(Don't get a PSU in tier 6)

15 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You are the result of an unbroken chain of people who have successfully found a mate and reproduced.

Isn't that... literally every human who ever existed?

(Not counting test tube bebeh's)

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Isn't that... literally every human who ever existed?

(Not counting test tube bebeh's)

Precisely, and why I hope to whatever deity might have influence over these matters that they don't make any more bebeh's. We don't need that in the gene pool

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Precisely, and why I hope to whatever deity might have influence over these matters that they don't make any more bebeh's. We don't need that in the gene pool

I think you missed the joke - because you're implying that literally everyone should stop reproducing lol.

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I think you missed the joke - because you're implying that literally everyone should stop reproducing lol.

Nah, just the people who comment "triggered" on this thread. 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Nah, just the people who comment "triggered" on this thread. 

Ehhhh you may want to reword that, if you're specifically talking about those people only.

Because if you actually read the full paragraph you wrote in the OP, you're basically saying that them saying "triggered" is the result of "an unbroken chain of people who have successfully found a mate and reproduced".

Do you realize now how that sentence literally makes no sense? In fact, I'd call it nonsense. I'm just pointing out that you're basically saying people who say "triggered" in this thread are the result of... well... nothing special. Nothing different then any other person.

It's... just really not much of an insult (or "burn" for those cool kids) against them.

Not saying anything wrong with the rest of your post (Though I personally strongly disagree with you - people who get "triggered" over the slightest thing do more harm to the "cause" then people who say it ironically, but your post was otherwise well thought out).

Spoiler

@dalekphalm I'm perfectly aware of what I said. Perhaps the conversational tone wasn't implied as heavily as I thought but the "..." wasn't a colon,  it wasn't saying if you _____, THEN you're the result of an unbroken chain, the first part was how you'd naturally address someone in a conversation. Sorry for the confusion.