Would this Loop Work

post-17311-0-76975500-1382433228_thumb.p

What i want to know is if this loop would work effectively, desk will be about 1.5m wide for a bit of reference with the image

Components i will be using are (open to change)

- Ek Res X3 400,  http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=18145

- Ek Coolstream RAD XTX480, http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=18798

- Ek D5 Vario X-Top, http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=20140

- 2x GTX 780

Things being cooled - CPU, GPU's, Crosschill

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I think it would work fine. I'm not really sure if you need 2 res and 2 pumps, but if it's for aesthetics then i can see why. I'm a bit worried about the pump running dry, since the res and the pump is horizontally alligned, and the res is on its side. This wouldn't really be a problem if the res is positioned a bit higher than the pump. Hope it helps :)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

No problem,this loop will work ok as long as the first pump in the flow from the res is switched on first and the last pump is switched on when the loop is full.

The pumps would be better together in series tho.

As for the res being on its side aligned with the pump....well,i have done that many times.

Example:

4KE8NJC.jpg

S8S9L1U.jpg

One of my early builds,less than a foot of tube in the whole loop too.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Just to be completely safe, I too would do something to raise the reservoirs a bit above the pumps. But I guess it will be fine anyway.

I am also a bit worried that your second pump intakes from the radiator to the right. It is always better to have the pumps intake directly from the res, even if it might not look as good. Other than that it looks great.

Btw, have you thought about how you are going to drain the system?

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I see no problems other than it's gonna be the thickest desk mankind has ever seen.

The image is just the back section of the desk, it lowers down to a keyboard/mouse tray at the front

I think it would work fine. I'm not really sure if you need 2 res and 2 pumps, but if it's for aesthetics then i can see why. I'm a bit worried about the pump running dry, since the res and the pump is horizontally alligned, and the res is on its side. This wouldn't really be a problem if the res is positioned a bit higher than the pump. Hope it helps :)

Looking at raising the res' up a bit

No problem,this loop will work ok as long as the first pump in the flow from the res is switched on first and the last pump is switched on when the loop is full.

As for the res being on its side aligned with the pump....well,i have done that many times.

One of my early builds,less than a foot of tube in the whole loop too.

will be putting the pumps in series now, just have to figure out where to put them, also nice build

Just to be completely safe, I too would do something to raise the reservoirs a bit above the pumps. But I guess it will be fine anyway.

I am also a bit worried that your second pump intakes from the radiator to the right. It is always better to have the pumps intake directly from the res, even if it might not look as good. Other than that it looks great.

same as above

couldn't there be a risk of your pumps running dry if you ever get a little low on coolant?

yup

thanks for all the help, i will replan it quickly and come back with another version hopefully tomorrow

Btw, have you thought about how you are going to drain the system?

Yeah, its kind of complicated but it will essentially be a bitspower valve that leads under the desk

would work fine but you would have to around your pumps or it wont flow the way you want it to

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

That picture is series :o

One pump is pushing into the the other.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

That picture is series :o

One pump is pushing into the the other.

No,they are not in series,they have components between them.

Series is directly one after then other.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

What he means it that it is series in flow rather than being bridged between reservoirs and pumps simlutaneously. It would def be better as you stated to "daisy chain" the pumps.  Essentially what you could do is parallel the reservoirs to the two pumps in series.  If that makes sense at all in how I described it?  Normally putting anything in parallel, besides the internal flow of an SLI bridge or block, would cause more restriction but in terms of you using two pumps I think the pressure in your loop will cancel that out if your reservoirs are in a parallel set up.  I'm at work right now so a design if what I mean is impossible.  Basicly just T-in to the res's and T-out, will make for a bit of a complicated fill.  Fill both res' as much as possible and leave one pump unplugged (the second one in series).  Rather than raising both res' entirely perhaps you could just raise the side with the fill port?  Leaving the res' at an angle to give it a bit of a gravity feed to the pumps.  Just food for thought ;)  great lookin loop bro!

What he means it that it is series in flow rather than being bridged between reservoirs and pumps simlutaneously. It would def be better as you stated to "daisy chain" the pumps.  Essentially what you could do is parallel the reservoirs to the two pumps in series.  If that makes sense at all in how I described it?  Normally putting anything in parallel, besides the internal flow of an SLI bridge or block, would cause more restriction but in terms of you using two pumps I think the pressure in your loop will cancel that out if your reservoirs are in a parallel set up.  I'm at work right now so a design if what I mean is impossible.  Basicly just T-in to the res's and T-out, will make for a bit of a complicated fill.  Fill both res' as much as possible and leave one pump unplugged (the second one in series).  Rather than raising both res' entirely perhaps you could just raise the side with the fill port?  Leaving the res' at an angle to give it a bit of a gravity feed to the pumps.  Just food for thought ;)  great lookin loop bro!

Parallel reduces restriction,not increases it.

Parallel reduces restriction,not increases it.

I'll have to find the thread on guru3d, but in terms of a pump set up parallel vs series, it was found that a parallel set up was less beneficial in terms of flow and pressure vs series.  What I probably should have stated was that when it came to your set up for both res' I'm not sure if it would negatively effect you, and that with two pumps it prob wouldn't matter anyhow.

I love the idea of the set up your doing, might seem quirky but something about dual res horizontally mounted has always intrigued me.  It just looks bad ass! :D

I'll have to find the thread on guru3d, but in terms of a pump set up parallel vs series, it was found that a parallel set up was less beneficial in terms of flow and pressure vs series.  What I probably should have stated was that when it came to your set up for both res' I'm not sure if it would negatively effect you, and that with two pumps it prob wouldn't matter anyhow.

I love the idea of the set up your doing, might seem quirky but something about dual res horizontally mounted has always intrigued me.  It just looks bad ass! :D

Parallel for pumps doesnt work,series is the only real method of doing it.

seriesparallelconclusion2.png?w=614

If one pump stops in parallel then you lose 80% of the total pump power as there is a high bypass situation.

Maybe it wasn't guru3d, thats the exact same graph I had in mind ;)

a direct quote from Linus himself

"I can't recommend a parallel configuration in many situations these days with head pressure being so much more important than max rate"

a direct quote from Linus himself

"I can't recommend a parallel configuration in many situations these days with head pressure being so much more important than max rate"

Pressure is nothing without flow rate,flow rate is what determines temps..not pressure.

I dont recommend parallel GPUs for the same reason,each block only gets half the flow in sli,a 3rd in tri sli and only a quarter in Quad sli......pointless exercise.

For a highly restrictive loop,AMS rads and the like then a 35X/24v D5 will net greater temp advantages due to its better pressure rating because it increases flow. 

Flow is king,Pressure just gets you more flow for the resistance.