Top GPU Fan's spin at 100% all the time

obvi123

I have 2 GTX 970's in SLI by Gigabyte in my computer. For some reason, the top GPU's fans run at 100 percent speed as if it has a mind of its own. It doesn't respond to MSI Afterburner or any other programs I have tried. I have even switched my 2 GPU's places to see if anything happened, but the same problem occurred. This has happened to me a couple times since I built my computer about 2 years ago, and usually it just goes away. But, I would like to end this problem once and for all. Any suggestions?

Sell them and get a 1080

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Cereal5 said:

Sell them and get a 1080

lol how much you think I can sell them for?

Just now, obvi123 said:

lol how much you think I can sell them for?

$200 a piece, maybe more

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Cereal5 said:

$200 a piece, maybe more

Any other suggestions besides getting rid of them?

Just now, obvi123 said:

Maybe try your drivers? DDU to uninstall, then reinstall the lastest. make sure they're seated properly in the PCIe slot and the power cables are plugged in all the way. I ran SLI 970s for a while. Nothing special, only had one game that even supported SLI anyways lol

[Under Construction]

Just now, obvi123 said:

are the temps on the top GPU good?

when you switched them, was the top GPU still at 100%? was it a GPU problem or a position problem

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

On 10/21/2016 at 8:33 PM, RadiatingLight said:

when you switched them, was the top GPU still at 100%? was it a GPU problem or a position problem

Temps are ok, about 30 C for both of them when idle

On 10/21/2016 at 8:33 PM, RadiatingLight said:

Oh and it seems to be a position problem, when switched top GPU still at 100

Make sure the fan connector on the graphics card isn't loose.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure the fan connector on the graphics card isn't loose.

Ok I figuered out the problem. Turns out the third fan on my GPU isn't working properly. It looks like its stuck because when I took it out it did not spin freely like the other two. This seems to be putting the other two fans in overdrive because of the failure of one. What do you think I should do?

3 hours ago, obvi123 said:

Ok I figuered out the problem. Turns out the third fan on my GPU isn't working properly. It looks like its stuck because when I took it out it did not spin freely like the other two. This seems to be putting the other two fans in overdrive because of the failure of one. What do you think I should do?

Try contacting Gigabyte for a replacement.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 10/23/2016 at 10:17 AM, obvi123 said:

If you can't free the fan yourself I would replace the card.

Sounds likr the GPU is detecting that the fan isn't spinning so it ramps up speed to tyy and get it started. You mentioned that this doesn't happen all the time so it may only be getting stuck some of the time.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 10/24/2016 at 5:25 PM, DragonTamer1 said:

If you can't free the fan yourself I would replace the card.

Sounds likr the GPU is detecting that the fan isn't spinning so it ramps up speed to tyy and get it started. You mentioned that this doesn't happen all the time so it may only be getting stuck some of the time.

Well, warranty is probably out of question since I took it apart and took the fan out. I ordered a cheap replacement fan for $5 so If that doesn't work I will  give up on it. Another thing if this would give you any ideas on my problem - the fans only start spinning up when I boot up windows. It doesn't happen in the bios or when the computer is initially turned on. I don't know if this would provide any insight in the problem but I am willing to hear anything. 

29 minutes ago, obvi123 said:

Well, warranty is probably out of question since I took it apart and took the fan out. I ordered a cheap replacement fan for $5 so If that doesn't work I will  give up on it. Another thing if this would give you any ideas on my problem - the fans only start spinning up when I boot up windows. It doesn't happen in the bios or when the computer is initially turned on. I don't know if this would provide any insight in the problem but I am willing to hear anything. 

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to imagine the problem happening. Would there be any way to record the problem?

If you are ordering a new fan then that might be the end of the problem. We'll have to wait and see.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

17 hours ago, obvi123 said:

You can still try to contact Gigabyte for help. They'll probably just send you replacement fans. It's also very likely that your warranty is perfectly fine provided the card itself asides from the heatsink works.