Does a DVI to HDMI cable reduce quality?

MValuableP
Go to solution Solved by Curious Pineapple,

The video component of the HDMI standard is essentially DVI. Passive cables and adaptors work both ways and give no quality problems. The biggest issue will be getting audio out of the console :)

Hello fellow geeks.

I was wondering if I was to buy a DVI to HDMI cable for a monitor that only has DVI to put into my PS4 which only runs HDMI, would it completely ruin the quality of some sort or would I be fine. Does it make the response time longer? Not as many fps? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance :)

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

1 minute ago, MValuableP said:

Hello fellow geeks.

I was wondering if I was to buy a DVI to HDMI cable for a monitor that only has DVI to put into my PS4 which only runs HDMI, would it completely ruin the quality of some sort or would I be fine. Does it make the response time longer? Not as many fps? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance :)

No, it's the same as a native DVI connection, which is the same image as an HDMI. The only difference is there will be no sound carried through to the monitor.

The video component of the HDMI standard is essentially DVI. Passive cables and adaptors work both ways and give no quality problems. The biggest issue will be getting audio out of the console :)

Both DVI and HDMI are digital and will carry the same signal when using an adaptor, so it makes no difference to anything, really. It won't carry audio, but that's about it. 

Response times are completely dependant on the monitor, the cable makes no difference. For input delay, a change in cable (or cable length and adaptors) it could theoretically increase it, but by a matter of nano seconds. 

Just now, Glenwing said:

No, it's the same as a native DVI connection, which is the same image as an HDMI. The only difference is there will be no sound carried through to the monitor.

But if I have a headset connected to my PS4 I'm good, right? I don't really need it other than if I want to listen to anything from the speakers of the monitor?

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

That's right.

Thank you!

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Both DVI and HDMI are digital and will carry the same signal when using an adaptor, so it makes no difference to anything, really. It won't carry audio, but that's about it. 

Response times are completely dependant on the monitor, the cable makes no difference. For input delay, a change in cable (or cable length and adaptors) it could theoretically increase it, but by a matter of nano seconds. 

Nice, thanks!

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler