We're out of ideas (Pre-production Job Announcement)

Hi, sorry to bother but I recently re-watched the moving vlogs just for laughs and had the idea that maybe a dedicated vlog series could be fun, maybe once a week/month we could get a peek at the office shenanigans at LMG

Thoughts?

(I just joined the forum and have no idea what I should do) 

1 hour ago, Doc.Tor said:

Hi, sorry to bother but I recently re-watched the moving vlogs just for laughs and had the idea that maybe a dedicated vlog series could be fun, maybe once a week/month we could get a peek at the office shenanigans at LMG

Thoughts?

(I just joined the forum and have no idea what I should do)  

No bother, that might be a fun idea if there's anything that could be considered interesting enough to vlog about. Maybe behind-the-scenes work?

That said, this topic in particular is about their recruitment video, so you might not get the right sets of eyeballs for it if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, nastys said:

Even if it were the case, I'd still expect a reply. If by "eligible" he also meant currently having a working permit, then the staff could still change my answer from "No" to "Other" (instead of "Yes"), but they just ignored me.

Anyway, I do not want to apply anymore. I'm just too disappointed. Maybe next time.

Yeah, I get the feeling that they'd pass on you...

1 minute ago, NavXIII said:

Did anyone else also get an email? =D

Yup. Working on my script now. :D 

... I wonder how many people made it past round 1?

1 hour ago, Runefox said:

Yup. Working on my script now. :D 

... I wonder how many people made it past round 1?

Probably a lot, but I think their first look through of all the submissions would eliminate the majority of them. I think they see hiring only 2-3 correct? Also the email doesn't seem to suggest a deadline as far as I know

32 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

Probably a lot, but I think their first look through of all the submissions would eliminate the majority of them. I think they see hiring only 2-3 correct? Also the email doesn't seem to suggest a deadline as far as I know

I noticed that as well. My inclination is to do up a few different scripts on different topics and pick the best of them to send along, and since I've got a rough script done already, I don't imagine it will take very long to do. But with no deadline, I'm not sure how much time I should take to polish it.

5 hours ago, Runefox said:

I noticed that as well. My inclination is to do up a few different scripts on different topics and pick the best of them to send along, and since I've got a rough script done already, I don't imagine it will take very long to do. But with no deadline, I'm not sure how much time I should take to polish it.

Well, good luck to you! I got a couple different ideas, I even like two of the suggested. This is gunna be hard to pick lol.

On 11/1/2016 at 11:04 AM, nastys said:

So @Slick ignored my PM (even though he DID read it).

Even though I said (in this thread, not in the PM) that I would use another Google account and try to apply again, I'm not sure I want to do it anymore. I'm very, very disappointed by the lack of interest of the staff which I would NEVER have contacted directly if it wasn't for necessity.

I'm still waiting for a reply of any kind by the staff. I do not want to apply anymore.

And by the way, yes, I'm eligile to work in Canada. I meet all the criteria and according to the "official" survey, I may be eligible to work in Canada. In the video, @LinusTech stated that a work permit is no longer necessary to apply (as long as the applicant is eligible to work in Canada).

That's unfortunate, but the best you can do is learn from this and move on. If anyone looks at this objectively, you have clearly eliminated yourself for not being able to follow directions (a valuable skill in every job market) and your attitude is certainly incompatible with their culture. 

1 minute ago, spartanvi said:

That's unfortunate, but the best you can do is learn from this an move on. If anyone looks at this objectively, you have clearly eliminated yourself for not being able to follow directions (a valuable skill in every job market) and your attitude is certainly incompatible with their culture. 

It's not my fault the video was unclear. At first I thought that by "currently eligible" they meant "in posses of a work permit". I only found out it meant "eligible to get a work permit" after reading a post in this thread.

Mistakes such as this can usually be fixed by contacting the person or people who created the form, and that's what I tried to do but they just ignored me.

Whatever the case, the situation has resolved itself for better or worse, and the best we can do is learn and move on. Let's not keep poking the bear on this one.

I have a lot of ideas for you which i will gladly give you for free. I cannot move to Canada but am willing to help in any way. I will not write your stories for you or anything, but i will give you as many ideas as you want. Just watched this video and would love to help, but i love my job.. and i'm not the best writer either lol. Let me know if you would like to hear my ideas. some stuff i haven't seen people do yet.

20 hours ago, Runefox said:

Whatever the case, the situation has resolved itself for better or worse, and the best we can do is learn and move on. Let's not keep poking the bear on this one.

I'll forgive the staff this time, but they better not disappoint me again.

I still would like to know why they didn't reply, though.

4 hours ago, nastys said:

I'll forgive the staff this time, but they better not disappoint me again.

I still would like to know why they didn't reply, though.

Ah ha ha ha.  So is your goal to ensure LTT never considered you hireable or do you have no clue how badly you're acting?

50 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ah ha ha ha.  So is your goal to ensure LTT never considered you hireable or do you have no clue how badly you're acting?

Even if they thought I was some random kid or whatever, they should've fixed my application anyway. All the relevant information is in the résumé and they should only look at that before deciding.

Prejudging is wrong.

2 hours ago, nastys said:

Even if they thought I was some random kid or whatever, they should've fixed my application anyway. All the relevant information is in the résumé and they should only look at that before deciding.

Prejudging is wrong.

There is nothing 'pre' about judging your current jerkish and entitled behaviour on this forum.  Good luck with that application because you've made every effort to ensure no one takes a second glance at you.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

There is nothing 'pre' about judging your current jerkish and entitled behaviour on this forum.  Good luck with that application because you've made every effort to ensure no one takes a second glance at you.

I asked nicely (even formally via email), so I don't really think I had a "jerkish" behaviour. What would have you done if you were my situation?

Also, as I stated before, I don't want to apply anymore so what's even the point of your post?

When I said that I'd still like to know why they didn't reply, I meant the actual truth from one of the three people I tried to contact.

If you'd like to share your theory, please be more specific, at least.

@nicklmg

quick question, 

Do I reply to the email i got with the instructions, or is there a different place to submit the application?

thanks.

15 hours ago, amintha1992 said:

@nicklmg

quick question, 

Do I reply to the email i got with the instructions, or is there a different place to submit the application?

thanks.

Pending an official response, I would assume so, since the LMG job vacancies page says to send your resume, cover letter, etc via e-mail to info@linusmediagroup.com - The same e-mail address that sent our instructions and sample files.

On 11/5/2016 at 1:24 PM, Runefox said:

Pending an official response, I would assume so, since the LMG job vacancies page says to send your resume, cover letter, etc via e-mail to info@linusmediagroup.com - The same e-mail address that sent our instructions and sample files.

I'm still wondering about the deadline. =/

Linus, think you could do a segment on gaming without a home internet connection on your gaming desktop (as blasphemous as that sounds)? This would be a fun topic that would also include those of mere mortal income.

rules: Only the desktop is capable of gaming. Any laptop used is a basic one.

Portable hotspots may be used if desired, though be watchful of the data limit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Jeez. 2 threads this is perfect for.  Double posting, sorry admins/mods.

So I watched the video, and signed up just to make this post. (Compensator 2.0)

We already knew the outcome was going to be less than great for gaming when we saw the 4 NVIDIA cards. I don't think rigs like this should only be tested with games, and LTT is missing out on a huge opportunity to put these machines through the fires of something far more demanding than videogames, being creative software.  
Where are the Adobe AE benchmarks?  What about Octane render in Cinema 4D?

You don't understand how flaccid I get as a 3D motion graphics guy to see these machines being built with batshit crazy amounts of CUDA tech, only to see it be tested in Witcher 3 or Tomb Raider, only to run like garbage, only to see the video end, and know how much potential there WAS inside of that batshit crazy machine.

Can Linus start doing content geared towards creatives?  An AE benchmark?  Or a GPU rendering benchmark?  Something that will really put these machines through their paces?

I know that LTT is looking for video content ideas.. There you have it. You'd be attracting creatives to the channel with new content, expanding your audience.  We'd REALLY be able to see what these machines can do.  It's a Win Win Win for everyone and everything.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:02 PM, NavXIII said:

@LinusTech @nicklmg Just wondering if there is a set deadline for applications. Email doesn't seem to suggest any sort of deadline.

I don't believe there is an official deadline, but I'd recommend submitting by 11/20 for best results :)

I can't guarantee that that means we will be reviewing all applications soon after that date, but I think that would comfortably place you in the "considered" pile!

On 11/4/2016 at 10:04 PM, amintha1992 said:

@nicklmg

quick question, 

thanks.

Replying to that email or submitting a properly labeled email in a new thread to info@linusmediagroup.com would both be considered "acceptable."

Thanks for the info, @nicklmg, that makes things a lot clearer for us. Seems like I didn't need to hurry as much to submit my application, but I'd already had as many eyes on it as I was going to anyway, and edited it as much as I felt was necessary. As long as it's not rushed, right?