Why can I ping other hosts on different subnet but cannot ping back?

I setup a very simple network using the internet from main router (10.10.96.1/19) connecting to WAN port on my own router (10.10.104.135/19).

Inside my network, the router has IP 192.168.0.1/24 and my laptop has IP 192.168.0.2/24 (default gateway 192.168.0.1).

What makes me confused is that I can ping from my laptop to an IP (let's say) 10.10.98.20/19(same subnet with the router). But I cannot ping from 10.10.98.20/19 to my laptop.

I understand that I have to create a static route on big router (10.10.96.1/19) to make that host communicate with my laptop. But why can it reply the ping request from my laptop if it does not know the route?

The firewall on your laptop may be blocking ICMP echo-replies. Try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if it solves the issue, if it does create a firewall rule to allow ICMP.

4 hours ago, Travo97 said:

The firewall on your laptop may be blocking ICMP echo-replies. Try temporarily disabling the firewall and see if it solves the issue, if it does create a firewall rule to allow ICMP.

Pretty much.

If one host can ping the other and the static routes in both directions are made, generally it's a firewall issue. Natively I think for public network types, Windows will block ICMPv4 and ICMPv6 ping requests so add a firewall rule to enable that service.

Ensure though as I mentioned that the static routes for both networks have been made.