PS4 Pro uses 2 gpus.....console crossfire....that ok for you!

jaggysnake57
4 hours ago, brwainer said:

My understanding, from the initial announcement, wasn't the they had two GPUs, bt that they had doubled the cores on the die of the existing GPU. Remeber that the PS4 and XBox One use APUs, so there is no seperate GPU component. They just asked AMD to devote twice as much die space for GPU than they did before.

I think they can still go with an APU though since you can take an a-10 7850k and crossfire it with an r7 250.

to cope with this sony added a "second" gpu

sega-saturn.png?w=620&h=343&crop=1

That sounds familar.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Urm what is this?

Though I wonder what will Scorpio be. But MS should seriously just make XB branded PC in console form factor with desktop non-custom hardware and eliminate multi-platform shit and just focus on PC specially cause of them owning Windows and want to support it more for gaming, also with UWA too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's going to be another thing for non-techies to think they have on PC users.

"My PC's way more powerful than your PS4 Pro, look at my GPU! GTX 1070!

"Right, but my PS4 Pro has TWO GPUs huehuehuehuehuehuehue"

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

41 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Urm what is this?

Though I wonder what will Scorpio be. But MS should seriously just make XB branded PC in console form factor with desktop non-custom hardware and eliminate multi-platform shit and just focus on PC specially cause of them owning Windows and want to support it more for gaming, also with UWA too.

But if they can make money from both then why not?

15 minutes ago, Orangeduck said:

But if they can make money from both then why not?

Well, as in both they don't have one of those as in XB branded PC just Windows for PCs as environment. I mean they would gain way more if they did so what I mentioned. Would just needed to be executed well. There wouldn't be need for games to be made for more than 1 platform aka PC and that would be a big deal for everyone.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

CPU runs at the same rate - something Cerny says is important to ensure compatibility with older games. 

Because God forbid we increase the CPU speed. It's not like devs would tie the physics to framerate or anything. They surely wouldn't do something like that.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

9 hours ago, FloRolf said:

More like console cross fire I'd say but still, what the kek is dis? 

its standard x86 architecture. If it has two GPUs, it is either MCM (Multi Chip Module) "single GPU" or XDMA Crossfire like on PC.

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

"Playstation 4 Pro: All of the frametime variance of a multi-GPU PC, with none of the extra graphical fidelity!"

This was a joke. I don't hate consoles, please don't hurt me.

surpisingly, if it really IS crossfire, then Digital Foundrys tests show zero of the frame timing issues that normal crossfire and SLI appears to have

8 hours ago, WereCat said:

This could mean really good CF support for console games ported on PC... Or not.

But I am sure it will work better on PS4 than it ever worked on PC.

Or worse CFX support on PC.

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

its standard x86 architecture. If it has two GPUs, it is either MCM (Multi Chip Module) "single GPU" or XDMA Crossfire like on PC.

surpisingly, if it really IS crossfire, then Digital Foundrys tests show zero of the frame timing issues that normal crossfire and SLI appears to have

Probably using an entirely different technique. Would be easier to design something that doesn't have to pool both hardware resources across a bus. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

Probably using an entirely different technique. Would be easier to design something that doesn't have to pool both hardware resources across a bus. 

either they just increased the silicone size, OR, its a MCM design on a interposer, which would have massive bandwidth and given how short distance the signals travel, it would have essentially zero latency

2 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It's going to be another thing for non-techies to think they have on PC users.

"My PC's way more powerful than your PS4 Pro, look at my GPU! GTX 1070!

"Right, but my PS4 Pro has TWO GPUs huehuehuehuehuehuehue"

meh, still better than the guy who says that the human eye can't see past 60 fps in low light conditions (30 fps per eye)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Prysin said:

either they just increased the silicone size, OR, its a MCM design on a interposer, which would have massive bandwidth and given how short distance the signals travel, it would have essentially zero latency

It's not like frametime variance would matter much on consoles anyways, given their refresh rates. Most of the time, we see 30fps. Even at 60, as long as they are not exceeding 16ms, they are in the clear. Still, it's pretty impressive to see them take this type of design. A modular approach would be pretty great from a scaling standpoint. Who knows, we might see titles release with actual options for people to tinker with depending on the type of PS4 they have. Though, at that point, simplicity starts to fade, and the appeal of a console over a PC starts to diminish, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

This isn't sli or anything close to it. Sli is a protocol that allows two gpus to talk to each other sharing a mirrored pool of memory.

SLI is NVIDIA's protocol, and with the exception of Pascal(although that has ways of getting around it apparently), SLI supports more than two GPUs at one time, but it's not just any two GPUs. It supports only NVIDIA GPUs. AMD uses their own protocol, aka Crossfire.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

It's not like frametime variance would matter much on consoles anyways, given their refresh rates. Most of the time, we see 30fps. Even at 60, as long as they are not exceeding 16ms, they are in the clear. Still, it's pretty impressive to see them take this type of design. A modular approach would be pretty great from a scaling standpoint. Who knows, we might see titles release with actual options for people to tinker with depending on the type of PS4 they have. Though, at that point, simplicity starts to fade, and the appeal of a console over a PC starts to diminish, lol. 

there is already games that has "settings" on consoles.

Im fine with settings, aslong as there isnt 50 sliders for consoles. simply a toggle box for "PS4 Pro mode: 4k or 1080p SSAA unlocked or 1080p 60"

Vega will have a dual gpu workstation card but after that I think it's going to become mainstream

That key word under Navi 

Roadmap-640x360.jpg

Crossfire. Since you know, it runs AMD hardware.

Uses AMD GPU, calls it SLI. :/ 

I'll just leave this here...

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 hours ago, Vode said:

It uses some features also present in Polaris at most. Probably the HDR support.

original ps4 supports HDR as well

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

I really like this, If only I liked their controller. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's not multi GPU its just someone simplifying the doubling of resources by calling it a second GPU

It's a die shrink and double the GPU power on a single die.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

having doubled up chipsets isnt new, look at ps2 having a ps1 in it, or the ps3 having a ps2 in it. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."