PS4 Pro uses 2 gpus.....console crossfire....that ok for you!

jaggysnake57

Sony has made a big deal about how the PS4 Pro is an iteration not a replacement for current hardware. Things might look prettier, and frame rates might be faster, but otherwise a Pro is still just a PS4. That means it has to play old games and only take advantage of extra features when called upon. 

to cope with this sony added a "second" gpu

We doubled the GPU size by essentially placing it next to a mirrored version of itself. That gives us an extremely clean way to support the existing 700 [PS4] titles. We just turn off half the GPU and run it at something quite close to the original GPU."  stick a Pro game, in and both chips are activated, doubling the GPU’s power while the CPU runs at the same rate - something Cerny says is important to ensure compatibility with older games. 

its an interesting way to handle both sets of games and i wonder how many older games will try to leverage the extra horse power. still though why not just doi it right in the first place

source http://www.gamesradar.com/the-ps4-pro-is-basically-two-ps4-chips-using-one-for-old-games-and-both-for-pro-enhancements/?utm_content=bufferd8c84&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

More like console cross fire I'd say but still, what the kek is dis? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

This could mean really good CF support for console games ported on PC... Or not.

But I am sure it will work better on PS4 than it ever worked on PC.

Or it won't, because now games have to be optimized for two consoles with different power OR choose not to care.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Or it won't, because now games have to be optimized for two consoles with different power OR choose not to care.

Im sure Sony wont just sit around doing nothing to make the support for PS4 good.

BTW.

They can use both GPUs to render each eye separately for their new VR..Or am I wrong?

Just now, WereCat said:

They can use both GPUs to render each eye separately for their new VR..Or am I wrong?

That's the worst way to do it because it doesn't necessarily split the load evenly. If you have 3 gpus and 3 monitors you don't render each monitor with a different card, the area is sectioned in a way that allows all gpus to do about the same amount of work. It's rarely perfect and that is why SLI/CF don't always scale well. The different eyes in the end are basically like two screens, one may be more intense than the other.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Isn't this what AMD wants to do on the PC as well? Instead of one massive GPU die have two smaller ones working together like one GPU so they can keep die sizes and price of the GPU down? A game console like the PS4 pro would be a great guinea pig for that experiment.

Ye ole' train

Unfortunately it's using two Geforce 6600 GT's in SLi.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

14 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Isn't this what AMD wants to do on the PC as well? Instead of one massive GPU die have two smaller ones working together like one GPU so they can keep die sizes and price of the GPU down? A game console like the PS4 pro would be a great guinea pig for that experiment.

It's called crossfire.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It doesn't necessarily have to have 2 GPUs though, right? I mean thereotically if you engineer the GPU in a certain way I'd imagine it's possible to have a single die that can either have half of its resources or all of them being used.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This isn't sli or anything close to it. Sli is a protocol that allows two gpus to talk to each other sharing a mirrored pool of memory.

All he meant was that the pro gpu is built on the same architecture but has more functional units / cores . This means to achieve the old ps4 level of performance you just disable some of those Cores at the driver level giving you effectively the old gpu . 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It doesn't necessarily have to have 2 GPUs though, right? I mean thereotically if you engineer the GPU in a certain way I'd imagine it's possible to have a single die that can either have half of its resources or all of them being used.

Yes. It could in theory have had a Polaris GPU......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes. It could in theory have had a Polaris GPU......

Wait, I thought it was confirmed it had a Polaris GPU?

?

I'm so confused now...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Wait, I thought it was confirmed it had a Polaris GPU?

?

I'm so confused now...

From what I read, it seems that the PS4 Pro uses 2x 16nm PS4 OG GPUs but clocked at 911MHz and in CrossFire

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

From what I read, it seems that the PS4 Pro uses 2x 16nm PS4 OG GPUs but clocked at 911MHz and in CrossFire

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStation/status/773600156356866048?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It seems it uses Polaris in some way. Though I've seen the sites you're talking about and I'm just as confused as you lol. Perhaps it uses two Polaris GPUs with the same amount of shaders and stuff as what the old PS4 used? Or one Polaris GPU double the size of the old GPU?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStation/status/773600156356866048?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It seems it uses Polaris in some way. Though I've seen the sites you're talking about and I'm just as confused as you lol. Perhaps it uses two Polaris GPUs with the same amount of shaders and stuff as what the old PS4 used? Or one Polaris GPU double the size of the old GPU?

I doubt it. Migrating from Bonaire to Polaris would be an absolute pain on Sony's Side. We will just have to wait for Chipworks to determine what GPU config it's using.

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

ACTUALLY NVM.

just read another article and It claims that PS4 Pro's GPU has some features not present in Polaris (so maybe coming to VEGA?) and yet it also contains components from Polaris.

So IDEK anymore.

My understanding, from the initial announcement, wasn't the they had two GPUs, bt that they had doubled the cores on the die of the existing GPU. Remeber that the PS4 and XBox One use APUs, so there is no seperate GPU component. They just asked AMD to devote twice as much die space for GPU than they did before.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

My understanding, from the initial announcement, wasn't the they had two GPUs, bt that they had doubled the cores on the die of the existing GPU. Remeber that the PS4 and XBox One use APUs, so there is no seperate GPU component. They just asked AMD to devote twice as much die space for GPU than they did before.

So basically from 1152 to 2304. Oh wait shit, that's basically an underclocked RX 480 :D. *Facepalm*

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

ACTUALLY NVM.

just read another article and It claims that PS4 Pro's GPU has some features not present in Polaris (so maybe coming to VEGA?) and yet it also contains components from Polaris.

So IDEK anymore.

Lol so strange. 

Shrouded in mystery, this is.

I guess we'll just have to wait for some analysis from a 3rd party.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

this is great. maybe we will get good crossfire support on pc on ports 

4 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

to cope with this sony added a "second" gpu

"Playstation 4 Pro: All of the frametime variance of a multi-GPU PC, with none of the extra graphical fidelity!"

This was a joke. I don't hate consoles, please don't hurt me.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It uses some features also present in Polaris at most. Probably the HDR support.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12