Looking for a good router (under $200)

poop_987

Hello, My modem (Linksys xac1200) range is really bad, and it can't hold a lot of devices

So I decide I should buy I a new router for gaming for under $200

How many devices I have?

-3 PCs (one of them is my gaming pc)

-3 Laptops

-7 Phones

-4 Tablets

-3 Consoles (I only use one at a time, and I use wired connection)

What do I need?

-Excellent for online gaming (I play overwatch a lot..)

-Has an excellent range for a 3 floor house (the walls are made out of concrete, and the house is pretty wide)

-Great for streaming

-Great for watching twitch streams

-Excellent for holding a lot of devices

I'm done with Linksys.

look up drayteck there vigor routers are great.

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

TP-Link Archer C8, or whatever the current model-equivalent to that is.

Mine had an issue with the initial firmware (it would stop accepting new connections until you restarted it), but after updating it (which was easy and only took a minute or two) the only issue I have with it is that it's white.  Between having an apartment with 4 nerds in their mid-20's, and having a bunch of smart home crap (because lightswitches are for peasants), I'd say that I pretty thoroughly tested it.

5GHz range was decent enough to reach everywhere on the second floor of my duplex.  2.4GHz (which was also plenty fast) was usable from a few houses down the street.

Most importantly, I pretty much just set it up and then didn't have to touch it.  Most of the time if I logged into it I was doing it to create guest networks with funny names to mess with people.

Easily handled Simultaneously:

• 1 Desktop/Media server hard wired
  • 2 Desktops (wireless)
  • 4 Laptops (wireless)
  • 2 Tablets (wireless, obv)
  • 6 Smartphones (I'm including Wink Relays as smartphones)
  • 4 smart home hubs (wireless)
  • 2 Philips Hue bridges (wired)
  • 2 Chromecasts (1 dual band)
  • 1 Apple TV
  • 1 Roku
  • 4 or more Quirky Spotter wifi multisensors
  • 2 or 3 Quirky smart power strips
  • 2 wifi-enabled air conditioning units
  • 2 game consoles

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Not surprised that router you have cant do the job. Concrete is not the friend of WiFi. He in the US most houses are wood construction and use drywall. Which is much easier on routers. You might have to consider running multiple access points. Ubiquiti has you covered. My sister has the TP Link Archer C7 so I can say that there routers are not too bad. I myself was looking at the Archer C9 before I fixed my current router with DDWRT. I really dont have a recommendation for a router. As if you house is big and made of Concrete that is whats causing the issue. You might not be able to rely on one AP/router. You might have to consider multiple APs to get the best results. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not surprised that router you have cant do the job. Concrete is not the friend of WiFi. He in the US most houses are wood construction and use drywall. Which is much easier on routers. You might have to consider running multiple access points. Ubiquiti has you covered. My sister has the TP Link Archer C7 so I can say that there routers are not too bad. I myself was looking at the Archer C9 before I fixed my current router with DDWRT. I really dont have a recommendation for a router. As if you house is big and made of Concrete that is whats causing the issue. You might not be able to rely on one AP/router. You might have to consider multiple APs to get the best results. 

actually, I used a wifi extender one... and it was not good, it just slows down the netwok speed

8 hours ago, MSM_15 said:

actually, I used a wifi extender one... and it was not good, it just slows down the netwok speed

"Range Extenders" and "Access Points" two separate devices. AP are hard wired to the network. Range Extenders  retrasmit your wireless signal and provide shit performance.  If you actually used an AP you wouldn't have had any issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

for gaming i suggest either asus or netduma (which is based on mikrotik but with their custom user friendly interface). both of them are geared towards gaming so they have QoS profiles there for games. They both have good wifi too. For the spots they cant cover wire an AP from a good brand (tplink, netgear, asus, ubiquiti, mikrotik) to cover the area.

• 1 month later...
On 23/10/2016 at 11:23 PM, System Error Message said:

for gaming i suggest either asus or netduma (which is based on mikrotik but with their custom user friendly interface). both of them are geared towards gaming so they have QoS profiles there for games. They both have good wifi too. For the spots they cant cover wire an AP from a good brand (tplink, netgear, asus, ubiquiti, mikrotik) to cover the area.

one of my biggest problems, is the ping. it's really high! is there any thing you recommend??

11 hours ago, MSM_15 said:

one of my biggest problems, is the ping. it's really high! is there any thing you recommend??

If by high you mean you're getting bufferbloat than the right QoS management is what you need. Asus with RMerlin's firmware has a choice of fq_codel while netduma has a bunch of predefined profiles for that. If its your ISP or you're far away from the server than theres nothing that you can do.