Fs700 + Sigma MC11 AF Curiosities

Up until now, I've been manually pulling focus on an Fs700 with sigma art series lenses (specifically 35mm f1.4). Recently, however, I've been using the camera on a Dji ronin, and without a wireless follow focus and focus puller, I'm stuck relying on auto. This works reliably and flawlessly on my Zeiss Batis and Sony/Zeiss native lenses, but I need the wider angle and fast aperture of my 35mm.

The issue is: 

- AF does not engage with the sigma 35mm and mc11 (works on a6300 b cam)

- AF motor engages to try to keep focus if it's manually set before shooting. 

-AF works flawlessly on other lenses

-MF is impossible because the camera is on a gimbal.

-AF did reliably track faces before with this setup, albeit slowly. 

Does anyone else have any experience with the mc11 and the Fs? Is this normal for adapted glass or is this an issue that can be resolved? 

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

2 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

Up until now, I've been manually pulling focus on an Fs700 with sigma art series lenses (specifically 35mm f1.4). Recently, however, I've been using the camera on a Dji ronin, and without a wireless follow focus and focus puller, I'm stuck relying on auto. This works reliably and flawlessly on my Zeiss Batis and Sony/Zeiss native lenses, but I need the wider angle and fast aperture of my 35mm.

The issue is: 

- AF does not engage with the sigma 35mm and mc11 (works on a6300 b cam)

- AF motor engages to try to keep focus if it's manually set before shooting. 

-AF works flawlessly on other lenses

-MF is impossible because the camera is on a gimbal.

-AF did reliably track faces before with this setup, albeit slowly. 

Does anyone else have any experience with the mc11 and the Fs? Is this normal for adapted glass or is this an issue that can be resolved? 

I would contact Sigma, a while back I got a loaner adapter and a lens to test it out.  The adapter is optimized to work with photo cameras like the A6#00, A7 type of cameras but on video cameras like the FS5 and FS7 it isn't fully compatible.  I don't know if they have changed anything since then, but from the issues you're facing I am guessing not.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I would check on their website and see if the FS7 is supported and also that the 35 1.4 is so. If I remember right when I was looking at the MC11 adapter a few lenses was not supported yet. But if all these things are supposed to work I would contact Sigma or go to a camera store (Most stores are probably nice enough to let you do this and will be glad to help. That have been my experience though with my local one) and try out with a different adapter and lens to be able to figure out if there is anything wrong with either the lens or adapter. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

I think this would solve your problem: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140725-REG/aputure_dec_e_dec_wireless_focus.html/mode/edu

Wireless follow focus with a handle you can put on the ronin. I'd say its definitely better than using auto focus which has screwed me over countless times.

Just keep in mind it's not a smart adapter so autofocus won't work at all with the adapter.

54 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

I think this would solve your problem: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140725-REG/aputure_dec_e_dec_wireless_focus.html/mode/edu

Wireless follow focus with a handle you can put on the ronin. I'd say its definitely better than using auto focus which has screwed me over countless times.

Just keep in mind it's not a smart adapter so autofocus won't work at all with the adapter.

Operating a steadicam or gimbal already requires concentration and focus, don't add having to operate a follow focus into the mix.  If any manual focus pulling has to be done, it should be done by a second person.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

54 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

Operating a steadicam or gimbal already requires concentration and focus, don't add having to operate a follow focus into the mix.  If any manual focus pulling has to be done, it should be done by a second person.

14 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I understand that, I'd obviously have a focus puller with me, but at the moment I don't have that option available so I'm relying on autofocus. I would like to try to solve the issue with the Sigma adapter if possible to not have to have a follow focus and a focus puller on set as well.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

15 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I would check on their website and see if the FS7 is supported and also that the 35 1.4 is so. If I remember right when I was looking at the MC11 adapter a few lenses was not supported yet. But if all these things are supposed to work I would contact Sigma or go to a camera store (Most stores are probably nice enough to let you do this and will be glad to help. That have been my experience though with my local one) and try out with a different adapter and lens to be able to figure out if there is anything wrong with either the lens or adapter. 

The adapter and lens are fully supported by sigma, and are supposed to work on any E-mount camera (as with any adapter, slow but working AF except on the a6300 and a7rii with their faster AF systems allowing quick AF). It works flawlessly on my a6300 and native lenses work fine on the Fs. My hypothesis is that some of the AF settings on the FS don't play nicely with the adapter. I used this setup a while back and I recall AF working fine adapting the same lens. 

15 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

I'll definitely look into it, thanks. $250 is not bad at all compared to having a focus puller on set for every gimbal shot (would still be necessary for more complex shots, but no adapter can solve that) and a definitely more costly wireless follow focus. As for the concentration issue, I'll have to see but I'm used to pulling focus while shooting shoulder mounted, and if the controls are well placed I don't think I'd have many issues on simpler shots. 

2 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

The adapter and lens are fully supported by sigma, and are supposed to work on any E-mount camera (as with any adapter, slow but working AF except on the a6300 and a7rii with their faster AF systems allowing quick AF). It works flawlessly on my a6300 and native lenses work fine on the Fs. My hypothesis is that some of the AF settings on the FS don't play nicely with the adapter. I used this setup a while back and I recall AF working fine adapting the same lens. 

Then as I said I would try a different unit of the same lens and adapter and see if that changes anything. And as you said that it have worked before, try reseting everything to factory settings. Sure this can be a pain when you have to go back and change everything on how you want it to be but if that fixes the problem I would consider it being worth it. 

3 hours ago, Infernal Burrito said:

I understand that, I'd obviously have a focus puller with me, but at the moment I don't have that option available so I'm relying on autofocus. I would like to try to solve the issue with the Sigma adapter if possible to not have to have a follow focus and a focus puller on set as well.

That comment wasn't meant for you.

But what I am saying next is.  That Aputure follow focus system, just know you are getting what you pay.  If you want a wireless follow focus system because you need it, get a better solution that uses gears to turn the lens instead of an adapter that turns the focus motor inside the lens.

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

That comment wasn't meant for you.

But what I am saying next is.  That Aputure follow focus system, just know you are getting what you pay.  If you want a wireless follow focus system because you need it, get a better solution that uses gears to turn the lens instead of an adapter that turns the focus motor inside the lens.

I'm willing to try the cheap solution to see if it works for me. I don't need insane precision as I shoot mostly stopped down and wider angles on the gimbal and have a conventional follow focus for non-gimbal shots. Thanks for the input though.

On 10/22/2016 at 5:11 PM, Infernal Burrito said:

I'm willing to try the cheap solution to see if it works for me. I don't need insane precision as I shoot mostly stopped down and wider angles on the gimbal and have a conventional follow focus for non-gimbal shots. Thanks for the input though.

I love the aputure adapter, I've used it several times on 1 man gimbal setups. Of course it's ideal to have a focus puller but I don't think I've ever had a shoot that was ideal and the wireless focus can solve a lot of problems. Having focus in your other hand and make smooth micro adjustments can make all the difference in the world.

The problem with autofocus on gimbals in my experience is that it isnt smooth. It will jump from 1m to infinity after loosing focus making the shot unuasable. I usually just close the aperture as much as I can, shoot wide, pre-focus, and try to keep the same distance from the subject with my feet.

I am still looking for a good adapter to use my sigma 18-35 f1.8 EF mount on a sony a6300 with decent autofocus for pictures and I'm struggling to find something good.

23 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

I love the aputure adapter, I've used it several times on 1 man gimbal setups. Of course it's ideal to have a focus puller but I don't think I've ever had a shoot that was ideal and the wireless focus can solve a lot of problems. Having focus in your other hand and make smooth micro adjustments can make all the difference in the world.

The problem with autofocus on gimbals in my experience is that it isnt smooth. It will jump from 1m to infinity after loosing focus making the shot unuasable. I usually just close the aperture as much as I can, shoot wide, pre-focus, and try to keep the same distance from the subject with my feet.

I am still looking for a good adapter to use my sigma 18-35 f1.8 EF mount on a sony a6300 with decent autofocus for pictures and I'm struggling to find something good.

The metabones and the sigma adapter for ef lenses are said to be decent on the A6300. Well kinda sad Op here have been having trouble with the sigma adapter though. 

On 10/25/2016 at 1:05 PM, xQubeZx said:

The metabones and the sigma adapter for ef lenses are said to be decent on the A6300. Well kinda sad Op here have been having trouble with the sigma adapter though. 

I wish there was an adapter that just worked! I want to be able to shoot sports with the 11 fps on the a6300 but I'm not about to drop $2,200 on a sony 70-200 when I have Canon L glass that wont focus.

1 hour ago, mama_fluxus said:

I wish there was an adapter that just worked! I want to be able to shoot sports with the 11 fps on the a6300 but I'm not about to drop $2,200 on a sony 70-200 when I have Canon L glass that wont focus.

Completley agrees. I wish there was a good adapter that I could feel it was justifable to drop 200+us, in other words, one that would make it work like native kind of like how the Sony A to E mount adapter seems to work.

57 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Completley agrees. I wish there was a good adapter that I could feel it was justifable to drop 200+us, in other words, one that would make it work like native kind of like how the Sony A to E mount adapter seems to work.

I'd be willing to pay quite a bit of money to make my thousands of dollars in canon glass work. It just makes me sad :(

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

The Sigma adapter (mainly for Sigma lenses only), the adapters from Metabones and the adapters from Commlite are pretty nicely regarded by E-mount camera operators.  We all know they aren't 100% perfect and there can be moments where it may stop working due to some bug and you have to reset something.  I personally chose not to use any electronic adapter because I find MF much better to use for video and because I prefer using cine glass rather than photo glass.  If I need AF, I have native glass.

EF is Canon's system and E mount is Sony's system, I doubt they will ever make their systems perfectly compatible with each other.

17 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The Sigma adapter (mainly for Sigma lenses only), the adapters from Metabones and the adapters from Commlite are pretty nicely regarded by E-mount camera operators.  We all know they aren't 100% perfect and there can be moments where it may stop working due to some bug and you have to reset something.  I personally chose not to use any electronic adapter because I find MF much better to use for video and because I prefer using cine glass rather than photo glass.  If I need AF, I have native glass.

EF is Canon's system and E mount is Sony's system, I doubt they will ever make their systems perfectly compatible with each other.

Yes. I do really doubt it will ever happen and the adapters existing are pretty decent for most types of photography. I mostly want to be able to use some of my friends EF glass for action photography where you will greatly benefit from the AF being fast. This is however not a major problem really but sometimes I wish there was just a little better way than there already is. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2016 at 1:08 PM, mama_fluxus said:

I'd be willing to pay quite a bit of money to make my thousands of dollars in canon glass work. It just makes me sad :(

On 10/26/2016 at 0:11 PM, xQubeZx said:

On 10/27/2016 at 9:53 AM, xQubeZx said:

Yes. I do really doubt it will ever happen and the adapters existing are pretty decent for most types of photography. I mostly want to be able to use some of my friends EF glass for action photography where you will greatly benefit from the AF being fast. This is however not a major problem really but sometimes I wish there was just a little better way than there already is. 

For photography (granted I do mostly portraiture and landscapes so tracking I wouldn't have any say on), MC11 AF is as good as native (Zeiss Batis) for me, albeit with noticeable deterioration in low light. The a6300 + mc11 combo is good for video too mostly. Only issues I have are on the fs700.

On 11/8/2016 at 1:06 PM, Infernal Burrito said:

For photography (granted I do mostly portraiture and landscapes so tracking I wouldn't have any say on), MC11 AF is as good as native (Zeiss Batis) for me, albeit with noticeable deterioration in low light. The a6300 + mc11 combo is good for video too mostly. Only issues I have are on the fs700.

As good as native on what lens? I know it's supposed to be ok with my sigma 18-35 f1.8 but it is manual focus only with my Canon 70-200 f4 L. Lens makes a big difference.

6 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

As good as native on what lens? I know it's supposed to be ok with my sigma 18-35 f1.8 but it is manual focus only with my Canon 70-200 f4 L. Lens makes a big difference.

It says right on the adapter it's only for sigma lenses. I don't have any regular non sigma EF lenses to test with, but with supported sigma lenses I would expect it to perform excellently. 

As good as native on the Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, and any other recent sigma lenses I'd imagine.

I've briefly used Canon L glass on a Metabones MKIV adapter and a7rii and they performed very well,  but that was in a very well lit studio with a simple scene. The Metabones is probably what you'd want for that 70-200mm.