Abysmal thermals from 212 Evo?

RadiatingLight

My thermals have been mostly fine at stock speeds on my 4770K with a Hyper 212 Evo, around 70C or so at full load. however, I recently switched motherboards, and noticed that my new one had an auto-overclock feature. sure, why not?? it turns out that the motherboard did a stellar job at bringing my CPU up from 3.5Ghz to around 4.1Ghz with no user intervention, but when I decided to stress test that overclock, my temps soared up to 100 Frickin Degrees! I instantly shut off my computer and lowered the overclock, but it got me wondering: Is the 212 EVO simply not good enough to handle the heat, or did I do something wrong.

Note: CPU voltage was about 1.18V, and it was consuming a total of about 95 Watts, so it really shouldn't be this hot.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

well the reason the 4790K came out is because the 4770K had internal thermal paste problems, so it might be possible that you got a chip with a more pronounced problem. 212 Evos aren't meant to cool that much CPU really either so it pronounces the problem even more

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

well the reason the 4790K came out is because the 4770K had internal thermal paste problems, so it might be possible that you got a chip with a more pronounced problem. 212 Evos aren't meant to cool that much CPU really either so it pronounces the problem even more

But with heat dissipation, more heat at the CPU should mean more rapid dissipation, should it not? how does this ever get close to 100C

Also, do you think that de-lidding my 4770K is worth the risk?

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

more heat at the CPU should mean more rapid dissipation

i dont quit understand. You mean that the higher the temps the better your cooler should dissipate it? no, the cooler fans would have to work harder and the fans can only do so much

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I've never delidded a CPU and I won't pretend to know much about it, but the short answer is no

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

I've tried to tell people to stop using the 212EVO on OC CPUs for quite a while now

people don't listen

the 212EVO was good on older gen CPUs, not on the new behemoths that have 80-90W+ TDW at stock settings

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I've tried to tell people to stop using the 212EVO on OC CPUs for quite a while now

people don't listen

the 212EVO was good on older gen CPUs, not on the new behemoths that have 80-90W+ TDW at stock settings

So what's a better alternative?

Desktop:

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

if you want to stick with air cooling, look for beefier ones; or go liquid cooling with at least 240mm rad

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

But with heat dissipation, more heat at the CPU should mean more rapid dissipation, should it not? how does this ever get close to 100C

Delidding and using CLU as your paste instead of the intel stock stuff will drop ~10-20c or so off your load temps, it's totally worth it.  It's really not hard, just watch a few tutorials or spend like $30 on a 3D printed delid tool

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Try reseating the cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

... noticed that my new one had an auto-overclock feature. sure, why not?? it turns out that the motherboard did a stellar job at bringing my CPU up from 3.5Ghz to around 4.1Ghz with no user intervention, but when I decided to stress test that overclock, my temps soared up to 100 Frickin Degrees! I instantly shut off my computer and lowered the overclock, but it got me wondering: Is the 212 EVO simply not good enough to handle the heat, or did I do something wrong.

Note: CPU voltage was about 1.18V, and it was consuming a total of about 95 Watts, so it really shouldn't be this hot.

what application did you use to 'stress' the CPU? p95, aida, intel XTU?

yes, you prolly have done something wrong. more than likely the canned tune by the motherboard uses an adaptive voltage mode. you are not supposed to stress the CPU with synthetic stress tools. what does the temperatures do during normal use (game play, productivity, etc..).

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No brainer.

Doesn't take much to get the seat wrong on a 212.

18 hours ago, zMeul said:

people don't listen

Some of the Older gen cpus are 130w TDP see i7-950 Here

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

at stock clock, not OCed

when you OC a 80-90W CPU you will end will end up will well above 130W

yep, and my overclocked 2500k runs great with my non evo hyper 212.

I'm assuming that you are using something other than Prime95 for stress testing. Use the trial version of Aida64 if you can get it.

Re-seat the CPU cooler with new thermal paste first.

Check the CPU voltage to make sure it is less than 1.4 in the BIOS. If necessary manually set it so that it does not reach any higher than that for verification.

Invest in a much more substantial cooler to help dissipate the heat (see below).

If none of this works, then and only then should you consider deliding the CPU. It is a last resort scenario, not a first resort. Even still I would not suggest it.

Possible CPU coolers.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

18 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Reseat the cooler with new thermal paste, Perform a manual overclock yourself and steadily increase the overclock while watching the temperatures. The self overclocking features seem to be very aggressive with core voltage (I'm thinking there is a possibility it could be much higher than what you quickly observed).

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

at stock clock, not OCed

when you OC a 80-90W CPU you will end will end up will well above 130W

---

an example, couple of i7-5960X at stock and OCed: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/september/haswell_e_overclocking_and_power

Yes overclocking causes power draw to increase significantly, that is known.

What my attempt to point out was:

that it is not the 212 evo that is the issue, it's a fine cooler that can work well with basic overclocks and it was working very well for him before the Mobo switch

and

That older processors tend to have higher power consumption because of the larger production node and higher voltages, so newer processors are not TDP behemoths but tend to draw less power.

I7-975 130w TDP can run 1.5v or higher when overclocked

i7-3770k 77w TDP tends to run under 1.4v when overclocked

Just now, Maxxtraxx said:

Yes overclocking causes power draw to increase significantly, that is known.

What my attempt to point out was:

that it is not the 212 evo that is the issue, it's a fine cooler that can work well with basic overclocks and it was working very well for him before the Mobo switch

and

That older processors tend to have higher power consumption because of the larger production node and higher voltages, so newer processors are not TDP behemoths but tend to draw less power.

I7-975 130w TDP can run 1.5v or higher when overclocked

i7-3770k 77w TDP tends to run under 1.4v when overclocked

notice the temps with the 212EVO: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Core_Frozr_L/6.html

temp_oc_wprime.png

that's a i7-6700K - at stock it's 91W TDP

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, zMeul said:

notice the temps with the 212EVO: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Core_Frozr_L/6.html

temp_oc_wprime.png

that's a i7-6700K - at stock it's 91W TDP

Sorry, but that graph specifically says OC(Overclocked) so it is not at its stock 91W TDP.

Even overclocked it has not thermal throttled the CPU and is still in Intel's safe operating range, and that is using an synthetic processor load that does not reflect normal use situations but reflects a worse case scenario.

You'll notice in the graph at Stock 91W TDP the 212evo shows a max temp of 63C.

temp_stock_wprime.png

3 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Sorry, but that graph specifically says OC(Overclocked) so it is not at its stock 91W TDP.

Even overclocked it has not thermal throttled the CPU and is still in Intel's safe operating range, and that is using an synthetic processor load that does not reflect normal use situations but reflects a worse case scenario.

You'll notice in the graph at Stock 91W TDP the 212evo shows a max temp of 63C.

temp_stock_wprime.png

This is exactly why I was asking. with 91Watt TDP, why does my CPU get so much hotter than that graph, because not overclocked, it gets to 75C, and with only a 200Mhz increase in turbo boost clocks, it jumps to 100C (Never using more than 100W of power)

why??

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

This is exactly why I was asking. with 91Watt TDP, why does my CPU get so much hotter than that graph, because not overclocked, it gets to 75C, and with only a 200Mhz increase in turbo boost clocks, it jumps to 100C (Never using more than 100W of power)

why??

Have you checked your core voltage yet. If you are at stock your voltage should be no higher than 1.2V.

It sounds to me like there is poor contact between the CPU and the cooler or there is more voltage being pushed through the processor than there should be.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, WoodenMarker said:

2 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Have you checked your core voltage yet. If you are at stock your voltage should be no higher than 1.2V.

It sounds to me like there is poor contact between the CPU and the cooler or there is more voltage being pushed through the processor than there should be.

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

why??

With the problem that you are seeing, That being that your temps jumped drastically after only a motherboard swap.

I believe the best course of action is to:

Remove any overclock (which it seems that you have done already)

Reinstall the cooler:

1. remove cooler

2. clean off all old thermal paste from the cpu and cooler bottom using cotton balls and rubbing alcohol

3: apply a small pea sized dot of thermal paste on top of the CPU(about the size of the top of a capacitor on the motherboard)

4: install the cooler and tighten the cooler using a X shape pattern

5: Be sure to plug the Cooler fan into the CPU fan header on the motherboard

6: rerun your tests to see what happens

9 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

1. why would you put a 212 EVO on a stock CPU; other than K series don't come with a cooler
  2. the scenario is about OCing, the OP OCed his CPU and had bad thermals
  3. if it didn't thermal throttle it's OK?! safe?! absolutely not! running CPUs hot for extended periods of time will damage the CPU

1 minute ago, zMeul said:
  1. why would you put a 212 EVO on a stock CPU; other than K series don't come with a cooler
  2. the scenario is about OCing, the OP OCed his CPU and had bad thermals
  3. if it didn't thermal throttle it's OK?! safe?! absolutely not! running CPUs hot for extended periods of time will damage the CPU

1: Why not? Better thermals and quieter operation are always preferable.

2: The scenario is primarily about bad thermals not OCing, his thermals are off even when not overclocked. He before the swap had is system running perfectly, with an OC and thermals were fine. He changed ONLY the motherboard and thermals went very bad. Therefore, the 212 he is using was working perfectly before the Motherboard change therefore it should work for the same processor after a Motherboard swap. It's not the cooler that is at fault and not the OC that is at fault since even at stock it has poor thermals.

3: Correct, If it didn't thermal throttle that doesn't mean that the temps are preferable but are acceptable. How many Server farm CPU's with tiny heat sinks and low air flow, Clogged home computer heat sinks and terrible laptop thermal solutions lead to thermal throttling but those processors continue to work for years in the worst case scenarios. The processor thermal throttles itself in order to keep the thermals within Intel's safe operating range and thusly avoids CPU damage. Electromigration will have a greater effect upon Silicon with higher temps and more voltage but how many overclocked/overtaxed/clogged home pc CPU's are still running 5+ years down the road with little impact. I know my 2500k overclocked since got it and cooled with a 212 is still maintaining it's OC and working great 4 years later.

3 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

How many Server farm CPU's with tiny heat sinks and low air flow, Clogged home computer heat sinks and terrible laptop thermal solutions lead to thermal throttling but those processors continue to work for years in the worst case scenarios. The processor thermal throttles itself in order to keep the thermals within Intel's safe operating range and thusly avoids CPU damage. Electromigration will have a greater effect upon Silicon with higher temps and more voltage but how many overclocked/overtaxed/clogged home pc CPU's are still running 5+ years down the road with little impact. I know my 2500k overclocked since got it and cooled with a 212 is still maintaining it's OC and working great 4 years later.

BS

server farms actually go for liquid cooling if the thermals demand it

do you know how many mobos and PSUs I saw damaged because of dust accumulation in the CPU's heatsink? a lot