Macs are 3x cheaper than Windows based PCs says IBM

Belgarathian
6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The person who brought up the NTFS issue was though. 

Not that I know of, but it's really easy to add NTFS drivers. 

Notice how he specifically said eGPUs. Also, the 5k iMac thermal throttles and the regular rMBPs aren't silent (or cool) under heavy load. 

It's also a 5k iMac xD... You'd probably struggle to drive that with SLI Titan X(p) @ 60fps constant. 

Just now, Belgarathian said:

It's also a 5k iMac xD... You'd probably struggle to drive that with SLI Titan X(p) @ 60fps constant. 

Regardless of that, it still doesn't have proper cooling considering the internals. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Thunderpup said:

This partially surprises me but also partially doesn't. 

The after purchase cost being lower is what surprises me considering how much Apple loves to nickle and dime it's consumer base; both in terms of software and hardware. But i hadn't considered how much Microsoft financially rapes companies for using their products.  

But given how Apple will support their operating system(s) long after they are done using them, plus locking down the OS to prevent people from breaking it from within.  I do see how there would be reduced support cost in the long term.  

That all being said i respect Windows more than OS X simply because of what it is expected to do, and accomplishes.

OS X is expected to perform well within a set pre-defined ecosystem and be compatible with a specific set of hardware.

Windows on the other hand is expected to play ball with basically anything and everything, and for the most part it does that pretty well. 

So from a business stance i support IBM in this, but as a enthusiast consumer i won't be following suit. 

Apple stings you on the hardware and provides all the basic software (office, photos, message application, etc) + OS free of charge...

3 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Apple stings you on the hardware and provides all the basic software (office, photos, message application, etc) + OS free of charge...

The OS and basic software is all in the control of the manufacturer-Windows comes free with OEM machines and so can the software (its been the same for a Compaq Presario R3000 & CQ60, HP Touchsmart TM2 & Pavilion DV6 3010AX/3030TX & Elitebook 2760p, Asus A3H & U38N, Toshiba Tecra M5)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

The hardware isn't even that much more than comparable laptops (if you pretend that they're all running Skylake anyway, which they will be shortly).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The hardware isn't even that much more than comparable laptops (if you pretend that they're all running Skylake anyway, which they will be shortly).

Look at the cost of storage+memory upgrades on Apple's iMac+Macbook lines....

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Yes, upgrades are overpriced. But what percentage of users buy something more than the base config? I can only think of three people who didn't just get a base model of whatever laptop they have -- obviously, I'm ignoring people like those on this forum and instead focusing on the average consumer.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes, upgrades are overpriced. But what percentage of users buy something more than the base config? (I can only think of three people who didn't just get a base model of whatever laptop they have).

Yeah, tend to agree that upgrades are overprices for the parts - that said, if you're upgrading the machine think about the logistics.

If they make the machine one-off, it has it's own completely dedicated assembly process (no benefits of batch-process) and has costs associated with creating a unique machine.

If they batch process (which I'm going to assume they do) then there is inventory holding costs etc for non-standard configurations (although relatively minor)... Still over priced upgrades, but there is some cost incurred. 

I believe the article because it matches my own experience. About 13 years ago I gave my sister her 1st macbook to replace a Dell laptop that she kept infecting with viruses and needing me to clean up. I have never had a computer support call from her EVER again. If I take the frequency at which she used to call up about her windows laptop and multiply that out by the years and the time at my hour rate of my job... $$$$, that laptop I gave her paid for itself and the upgrade I gave her 5 years ago as a gift.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ahh yes, because you need so much more storage and memory when it comes to a work related system.

Yes, upgrades are overpriced. But what percentage of users buy something more than the base config? I can only think of three people who didn't just get a base model of whatever laptop they have -- obviously, I'm ignoring people like those on this forum and instead focusing on the average consumer.

make that 4, I admit that I got some upgrades, but now I noticed that there wasn't really any need for them.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Just now, Bsmith said:

Ahh yes, because you need so much more storage and memory when it comes to a work related system.

make that 4, I admit that I got some upgrades, but now I noticed that there wasn't really any need for them.

I was going to get the 15" rMBP and upgrade the SSD and RAM, then realised it was the same price as the top rMBP with the 750m. 

8 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Yeah, tend to agree that upgrades are overprices for the parts - that said, if you're upgrading the machine think about the logistics.

If they make the machine one-off, it has it's own completely dedicated assembly process (no benefits of batch-process) and has costs associated with creating a unique machine.

If they batch process (which I'm going to assume they do) then there is inventory holding costs etc for non-standard configurations (although relatively minor)... Still over priced upgrades, but there is some cost incurred. 

In all fairness though, there aren't that many possible combinations of configs, and even if there were, prices are still steep ($200 to go from 8 to 16gb of RAM, or $600 to go from 8gb to 32gb in the 5k iMac).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

i always use heaphones cause i can't stand the sond quality of the speakers, what's get noticeable (with smc still on default) is my lap burning when in bed, and wrist rest getting uncorfortably hot on the desk, and even then MacOS still leaves the fan at it's default 2000rpm

I think that has more to do with the aluminum body being a good conductor of heat. So you are sure to feel even the slightest bit of heat produced. 

2 minutes ago, abazigal said:

I think that has more to do with the aluminum body being a good conductor of heat. So you are sure to feel even the slightest bit of heat produced. 

Even then, its a sign of a poorly designed cooler. My Asus U38N and HP Pavilion DV6 3010AX both have the same problem-and the HP is a plastic laptop.

PMSL

On 21/10/2016 at 3:23 AM, bgibbz said:

You know, the ops article is very true. Regardless of whether or not you agree, almost everyone I know finds macs more intuitive. I'm the go to IT guy in my family, and about half of my family has Macs and half has pcs. I can't even remember the last time I've been called to help with a mac. Bottom line, there is no reason to pretend that macs are a joke, as they are far from it. Try to post something that actually contributes to the discussion ;)

Yeah well for gaming they are a joke but everything else they are good.

On 21/10/2016 at 2:09 AM, Nicholatian said:

Brace yourselves, an ignorant shitstorm of Apple hate comments is coming…

Anyway, this really is the truth. Way back in the day, PCs were sold for a fortune with all of this software included, believe it or not. But they stopped doing that to make things appear more affordable – whenever I tally up something on Lenovo’s website, for example, a decent computer runs me about $2,500 all things considered. It hasn’t changed. Not really.

That is actually very true and very well put. Basically, you get what you pay for. I run a lenovo W510 as my work laptop and in 9 years I had to change hard drive twice... It still runs, it still does everything I want work related. It was expensive when new.

I can even take it out to the field and it performs without missing a beat (or a bit as the case may be XD).

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

2 hours ago, fklegit said:

Yeah well for gaming they are a joke but everything else they are good.

The article was referring to enterprise use, definitely not gaming use. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

You can only set GPOs using a 3rd party software in MacOS. If the support for this software ends you are SCREWED. IBM has lost touch with how IT works I think. Macs are NOT suitable for enterprise use under any circumstances.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

On 10/21/2016 at 7:47 AM, Munteanu said:

You mean working on a locked down OS is safer and cheaper in a corporate environment? You don't say.

you aren't really correct on this one... you can lock down windows computers FAR MORE than Macs with only a few clicks if they are joined to a domain. Joining a Mac to an enterprise just lets you use your domain creds and thats about it... with a windows machine joined, the possibilities are endless... you can go so far as to make the computer only able to run paint...or nothing at all if you wanted...

the problem is that troubleshooting windows and dealing with broken-ass hardware and terrible drivers is a pain in the neck that keeps people like me employed. if everybody used macs, the drivers, hardware, firmware, and software would all work seamlessly and people like me would be bums.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

On 2016-10-25 at 8:19 AM, MSWindowsinside said:

You can only set GPOs using a 3rd party software in MacOS. If the support for this software ends you are SCREWED. IBM has lost touch with how IT works I think. Macs are NOT suitable for enterprise use under any circumstances.

Any circumstance?  Really?  Because the very basis of this thread is IBM's proof that they are.

They're not as universally suited as Windows, but that doesn't mean they're impractical in every case.  Besides, one of Microsoft's biggest problems in recent years has been a willingness to almost go too far to court the enterprise with endless gestures of backward compatibility.  Windows 7 had a Windows XP mode simply so that companies running 15-year-old database software would move on to an OS released after 2001... and now those companies will probably hold on to Windows 7 for the next 10 years.

There has to be a middle ground between Apple's mostly home-oriented strategy and Microsoft's "legacy enterprise support at all costs" strategy.  Court the business crowd, but refuse to bend over backwards to excuse poor software policies.  You're too cheap to update your backend software?  Too bad.