Does age on a used graphics card matter much?

Buying a used graphics card so I can SLI, the seller says its about 4 years old, I was told the general lifespan of a GPU is about 3-5 years, is that a problem? ( I bought my current graphics card, a GTX 660 brand new 2-3 years ago.) 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

also, this is a EVGA card, it will SLI fine with an existing gigabyte card correct? (their clock speeds are slightly different, with the EVGA card being higher) 

Think linus did a vid on this where he got a ''fresh'' and an used gtx400 series gpu and they performed both the same

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Its old after 3 years as in its performance is considered obsolete. The GPU itself doesn't slow down over time, its that new applications require more horsepower.

So you are looking to buy a second 660? don't do it unless its practically free because you will not see a big improvement In performance. Getting a new 1060 would give you faaaaaar better results.

When in doubt, re-format.

Don't waste your money on SLI especially on such old card, get a single stronger gpu if possible.

How much are you spending on this used 660 anyway?

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

Its old after 3 years as in its performance is considered obsolete. The GPU itself doesn't slow down over time, its that new applications require more horsepower.

So you are looking to buy a second 660? don't do it unless its practically free because you will not see a big improvement In performance. Getting a new 1060 would give you faaaaaar better results.

I'm getting the second 660 for 100$, a new 1060 (3gb) is 295$-320$. Believe me, I'd love a 1060. 

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

also, this is a EVGA card, it will SLI fine with an existing gigabyte card correct? (their clock speeds are slightly different, with the EVGA card being higher) 

5 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Buying a used graphics card so I can SLI, the seller says its about 4 years old, I was told the general lifespan of a GPU is about 3-5 years, is that a problem? ( I bought my current graphics card, a GTX 660 brand new 2-3 years ago.) 

It took me like 10 minutes just to find this

age dosent matter, condition does, also i have an EVGA 660 and a Gigabyte one and they work fine together, it was other problems that made me stop using that SLI config

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I'm getting the second 660 for 100$, a new 1060 (3gb) is 295$-320$. Believe me, I'd love a 1060. 

why not save some money to buy something in the middle ground like a 1050ti

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Well for a single benji, that may be worth it to help you out until you can afford a proper upgrade. I run SLI 670's and they perform fine, but are definitely showing their age now.

When in doubt, re-format.

9 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I was told the general lifespan of a GPU is about 3-5 years, is that a problem? ( I bought my current graphics card, a GTX 660 brand new 2-3 years ago.) 

Maybe 3-5 years of use before the person upgrades or abandons it. ICs, under normal conditions, last quite a while.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

why not save some money to buy something in the middle ground like a 1050ti

Because I am saving up for a XX60/XX70, graphics card from nvidia and I just need a push in performance for the time being.

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

Because I am saving up for a XX60/XX70, graphics card from nvidia and I just need a push in performance for the time being.

then why not keep the 100 and get the 1060 faster?

For about $25-$45 more you could pick up a gtx 780 on ebay. That would more than likely out perform 2 660s in sli by alot.