USB or PCI-E?

LeeYoh

Hi guys, so recently I've been getting a bad wifi signal with my AE2500 Linksys.  I've read online what is causing the sudden and stable 5.5 mbps and they said it is probably the router, but I HIGHLY doubt it since in my previous pc, I used that usb wifi adapter and I've got perfect signals.  I am planning to upgrade to a PCI-E wifi hoping it would make a huge difference.  Any thoughts on this?  Is PCI-E wifi faster than USB wifi adapter?  Also, PLEASE suggest a good PCI-E wifi item.  Thanks in advance!

Before you buy anything, double check that OTHER devices are performing fine with the same router. Just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean its problem free today.

I don't have much experience with wifi adapters (Ethernet all the way baby!) but have found that generally speaking, usb vs pcie (when they have the same specs) perform about the same. Only difference is that the PCIE ones usually come with better antennas so you might be able to get better range if you are far from your router. and on that note, for far are you from it?

When in doubt, re-format.

6 minutes ago, LeeYoh said:

Hi guys, so recently I've been getting a bad wifi signal with my AE2500 Linksys.  I've read online what is causing the sudden and stable 5.5 mbps and they said it is probably the router, but I HIGHLY doubt it since in my previous pc, I used that usb wifi adapter and I've got perfect signals.  I am planning to upgrade to a PCI-E wifi hoping it would make a huge difference.  Any thoughts on this?  Is PCI-E wifi faster than USB wifi adapter?  Also, PLEASE suggest a good PCI-E wifi item.  Thanks in advance!

Pcie will always be faster than usb, perhaps it would be good for you to look into it. However be careful about the drivers for the products, for example tplink drivers are the worst (i know from experience)

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

Before you buy anything, double check that OTHER devices are performing fine with the same router. Just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean its problem free today.

I don't have much experience with wifi adapters (Ethernet all the way baby!) but have found that generally speaking, usb vs pcie (when they have the same specs) perform about the same. Only difference is that the PCIE ones usually come with better antennas so you might be able to get better range if you are far from your router. and on that note, for far are you from it?

Well, the landlady's room is downstairs, I'm probably about 20-35 feet away from the router.  Also, I've used this USB adapter for a very long time and I got stable signal, my example is when playing league of legends.  I usually get 35-40 ping, but with this new pc and same usb adapter, i get 200-500 ping

1 hour ago, Kurt101 said:

Pcie will always be faster than usb, perhaps it would be good for you to look into it. However be careful about the drivers for the products, for example tplink drivers are the worst (i know from experience)

Hi, so do you still use pcie network card or you upgraded to lan cables? If you are using pcie card, what type is it now?

22 hours ago, LeeYoh said:

Hi, so do you still use pcie network card or you upgraded to lan cables? If you are using pcie card, what type is it now?

I now use ethernet calbes, as my pcie wifi card is not working, because of the bad drivers provided.

It might just be me... but I have never been able to get a PCI-E WiFi card to work anywhere close to reliably. USB on the other hand... has been the most reliable when you compare PCI-E, Powerline, and USB.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus