Would you buy the Nintendo NX

Thunder_Ruler0
Just now, GoodBytes said:

I don't think the WiiU has dropped in price.

It definitely has, at least where I live it used to be 400€ whereas now it's 240, and it dropped the most early on.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

35 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It definitely has, at least where I live it used to be 400€ whereas now it's 240, and it dropped the most early on.

Here it was 350... and remained 350... so yes.. an XBox One is cheaper than the WiiU. Now the WiiU is not sold anywhere, so I can't check if since the XBox One S the WiiU dropped in price or not.. but regardless.. it would have at most 300$.. 50$ off after its entire life span and poor sales. The only time I saw Nintendo drop the price of the console beside towards its end of life, it is the GameCube, and that didn't really help.. at least in North America market. (Well the Wii did, but that was mostly stores jacking up the price due to demand).

I'm a Nintendo fan so obviously I'm all over. But if I'm being honest if NVidia released something like this with an intel CPU and Windows 10 on it? Kinda like a cheaper and smaller version of the Surface with actual controls attached to it. I'd be just as hyped about it.  And I know that sort of idea kinda exists already. But whenever it has appeared it has either been super bulky or completely unsupported. At the very least this won't have those two issues. It already has more interesting games in development for it than the NVidia Shield had......

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

My concern is battery, however I don't know the cost but I feel like rather invest my money towards VR.

To me, WiiU was a very hard sell... I still have the original gamecube and Wii but since I don't play them often, they aren't plug in TV and are in storage now. Wii U did nothing really that wowed me except Splatoon.

I could see myself buying this for gaming on the go but since I'm getting back my gameboy advance sp that I lent to my friend and the guy went off radar for 5 years, I'm saving the cash for a PC.

Plus, the switch have a custom Nvidia Tegra chip. I could see 3rd party developers take advantage of that horsepower. 

To everyone who say "you can play games on your phone", I'm still using my Iphone 4 which Apple have stop supporting. I'm just using it as a glorified cellphone+ music player.

I was convinced the leaks were accurate, I was not surprised seeing how it turned out. Although, once I saw the PRO controllers and how large the screen is, they sold me on it. Who cares about 3rd party unless they plan on releasing unique and interesting games. I bought the components for and assembled a PC for a reason. I would hope that they release Pokemon Sun and Moon or the 3rd (Diamond, Pear, Platinum/Red, Blue, Yellow) for the NS. HYPE TRAIN. I would only want a Nintendo for Nintendo games. Had I wanted a dumbed down and inferior PC I would purchase a PS4 or Xbox One.

Not at all. It's going to be too expensive for what it is. 

Both the console and handheld experiences are going to be held back because they foolishly put them in one system. The handheld is too big and the device/games will be far too expensive if this was the main reason you bought it, and the console will be under powered compared to the rest of the competition. They'd really have to sell me on some amazing exclusives or I'm just gonna stick with the Wii U.

I also just hope for their sake that they don't intend for this to be a DS line replacement, because that would kill them.

Oh and people hoping for 3ds backwards compatibility on this thing, don't. It's a Tegra chip, there's no way this thing will run 3DS games unless they also shove in an Arm processor just for that, increasing the cost even further.

Definitely. I think it's going to be a great value device

Instead of having to get both a portable and a home console to play all the Nintendo games? You only have to get one because they wisely put them both in one. The device itself is a fairly reasonable size for what it is. Kinda like a Wii U GamePad if it went on a diet. It also lacks the glossy finish which is nice. And despite obviously being not a powerhouse it has a key point of difference which puts it ahead of the other consoles in my mind. And with the great exclusives Nintendo will always make I'm more than ready to move on from the Wii U.

I also hope that for our sake that they also make this a replacement for the DS line. What's the point of making system that could unify their library if they keep a second system alive and kicking.

Oh, and the people hoping for 3DS backwards compatibility on this thing? It might not be native support but I wouldn't worry too much. It's a Tegra chip. The thing has way more power than the 3DS. I'm sure those games will appear on the VC probably alongside Wii and GC releases. Increasing the versatility of it even further. Fingers crossed for cross-buy on digital purchases

8 minutes ago, skywake said:

Definitely. I think it's going to be a great value device

Instead of having to get both a portable and a home console to play all the Nintendo games? You only have to get one because they wisely put them both in one. The device itself is a fairly reasonable size for what it is. Kinda like a Wii U GamePad if it went on a diet. It also lacks the glossy finish which is nice. And despite obviously being not a powerhouse it has a key point of difference which puts it ahead of the other consoles in my mind. And with the great exclusives Nintendo will always make I'm more than ready to move on from the Wii U.

I also hope that for our sake that they also make this a replacement for the DS line. What's the point of making system that could unify their library if they keep a second system alive and kicking.

Oh, and the people hoping for 3DS backwards compatibility on this thing? It might not be native support but I wouldn't worry too much. It's a Tegra chip. The thing has way more power than the 3DS. I'm sure those games will appear on the VC probably alongside Wii and GC releases. Increasing the versatility of it even further. Fingers crossed for cross-buy on digital purchases

Nice mocking post, why don't you actually respond and not be a smartass? 

Like do you even consider what would happen if this were a true replacement for the DS line? The DS line represents value, something this will not. The DS systems are cheap, the games are cheap and aren't something you worry about a lot when you travel with it. This thing on the other hand would be a complete nightmare. Would you let your little sibling or cousin hold your new 400 dollar toy that'll likely break at the lightest of drops?

@Brian McKee

I don't agree, I think you're making a whole lot of assumptions.

Just now, skywake said:

@Brian McKee

I don't agree, I think you're making a whole lot of assumptions.

Then quote me and argue your points like a normal person, not mock me like a child.

@Brian McKee

You don't know how much this thing will cost and yet you're talking about its value. I think your post is one that deserves mockery

2 minutes ago, skywake said:

@Brian McKee

You don't know how much this thing will cost and yet you're talking about its value. I think your post is one that deserves mockery

No you're right this will be some miracle system released at 250 dollars, silly me. Historically Nintendo is a company who hates releasing systems on a loss, I don't expect this thing to be value.

@Brian McKee

The Shield Tablet launched about two years ago with what was then the best Tegra chip. $299US. It had a better screen than the Switch is rumoured to have both in terms of size and resolution. It had far more sensors than I think we can expect from the Switch. For example it had front and rear 5MP cameras and GPS. And really other than the way the controller attach (which is all just plastic) this is no different to that. Except with a less impressive screen. And with a company like Nintendo heavily backing it with software.

So yeah. I think you pulling $400 out of nowhere and then saying it's a horrible product on the back of that? It's a bit rich.

5 minutes ago, skywake said:

@Brian McKee

The Shield Tablet launched about two years ago with what was then the best Tegra chip. $299US. It had a better screen than the Switch is rumoured to have both in terms of size and resolution. It had far more sensors than I think we can expect from the Switch. For example it had front and rear 5MP cameras and GPS. And really other than the way the controller attach (which is all just plastic) this is no different to that. Except with a less impressive screen. And with a company like Nintendo heavily backing it with software.

So yeah. I think you pulling $400 out of nowhere and then saying it's a horrible product on the back of that? It's a bit rich.

So even assuming that it is 300 dollars the original 3ds shortly after launch was 170 dollars, that on top of much cheaper games you can see why this is not an effective mobile system nor will it be an acceptable replacement to the DS line.

The success of the mobile line for Nintendo has always been resilience, cost of hardware and cost of software. I don't suspect the Switch will have any of those.

@Brian McKee

The 3DS was $250US at launch, the Wii U was $299US at launch or $350US if you got the premium SKU. This does both and is probably going to cost about $300US. And again, where are you pulling the "much cheaper games" crap from?

4 minutes ago, skywake said:

@Brian McKee

The 3DS was $250US at launch, the Wii U was $299US at launch or $350US if you got the premium SKU. This does both and is probably going to cost about $300US. And again, where are you pulling the "much cheaper games" crap from?

And the 3ds was considered DOA at that price, they had to slash it down to 170 and compensate everyone who bought it at original value.

And I say much cheaper games because games for the 3ds were cheaper to produce than full fledged triple A titles. An average game on 3ds new is about 30-45 dollars as opposed to the 60 on console releases. It's why the Vita flopped, the increased power before its time made game development more expensive, and people would rather have a weaker more affordable platform.

I'm just extrapolating this from history.

@Brian McKee

You do realise that there are 3DS SKUs out now that are $199US RRP right?

3 minutes ago, skywake said:

@Brian McKee

You do realise that there are 3DS SKUs out now that are $199US RRP right?

Sure, but there are also systems available new for $100, so your point is moot. 

Also 100 dollar difference is still huge, especially when you need to purchase one for multiple kids.

@Brian McKee

My only point was that you're being hasty to judge this thing on value when we don't know the price. You're comparing its value on a purely cost of the system basis to a system that's now five years old. You're also talking about it as if it's purely a replacement for Nintendo's portable line when it's also Nintendo's next home console. I just think you're being unreasonable. If this is the reason you don't like the Switch? I don't think you'd be happy with anything Nintendo could have done.

And from my perspective? I have a Wii U and a 3DS. The 3DS is really showing its age and the Wii U was a commercial failure. This is something that replaces both and is probably going to launch at about the price that the Wii U launched at. Really, the switch is a mature version of what Linus was dreaming about here but with Nintendo supporting it rather than relying on the Google Play store. And that's cool. I'm in.

12 minutes ago, skywake said:

@Brian McKeeMy only point was that you're being hasty to judge this thing on value when we don't know the price. You're comparing its value on a purely cost of the system basis to a system that's now five years old.

I was comparing prices very shortly after release, not current. You were doing current.

You're also talking about it as if it's purely a replacement for Nintendo's portable line when it's also Nintendo's next home console. I just think you're being unreasonable. If this is the reason you don't like the Switch? I don't think you'd be happy with anything Nintendo could have done.

Maybe because not everyone wants a home console. I'm happy with what I have now, I'd rather have a system that's a dedicated handheld since it fits my needs better. Is this a baffling stance for you?

Tbh I was expecting the NX to be 2 systems with games being interchangeable between them. 

And from my perspective? I have a Wii U and a 3DS. The 3DS is really showing its age and the Wii U was a commercial failure. This is something that replaces both and is probably going to launch at about the price that the Wii U launched at. I don't see what the issue with that is.

I too own a Wii U and 3ds (or will once I get the Wii U from my family since they needed it for the young ones), and I use my 3ds way more than any of my other consoles because of convenience.

This thing is just straight up too huge to be a dedicated handheld, and I think people will see that more and more once the initial hype wears off.

34 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

This thing is just straight up too huge to be a dedicated handheld, and I think people will see that more and more once the initial hype wears off.

Approximately how big the thing actually is vs a 3DS XL based on the rumours as they are currently. It's actually very small for a tablet and you can see that in the trailer once you get over the "it's a tablet" filters. It's actually about as big as the 3DS XL if you don't include the attachments on the side. Don't get me wrong, it's probably too big to pocket but... it's not "huge" by any stretch

switchv3_DS.png

4 minutes ago, skywake said:

Approximately how big the thing actually is vs a 3DS XL based on the rumours as they are currently

switchv3_DS.png

Even if they were the same size (they're not) the folding nature of the xl means it has a much smaller footprint.

a37e5522a4.jpg

2783782-1805720950-maxre.jpg

In your honest opinion, if you don't have a bag with you at ALL TIMES which one of these devices looks better to lug around with you everywhere?

I'll pass on my third straight Nintendo Console in a row! it's gimmicy, underpowered, and relying on old games like skyrim to sell it! I'll just stay with my pc, ps4, and xb1 for now!

@Brian McKee

I didn't say it was the same size, I showed a comparison of the size. Your image doesn't counter it it only confirms it. It's wider but it's not that much bigger and it's certainly not "huge". Closing the XL doesn't change that fact at all. Again, I think you just want to have a go at this thing regardless because for some reason you think you're being screwed over by a new product existing.