Would you buy the Nintendo NX

Thunder_Ruler0

So as a PC gamer, the new Nintendo NX (or switch) actually seems like a very convincing platform that would interest me. Although it may not have the graphics, the general concept and idea of it sounds awesome, and i'd be more then willing to try it out and buy one. 

Here is a Video if you guys don't know what it is.

Does anyone see any issues with this sort of design? Or any limitations it may have?

Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ ThinkPad T430

As long as it works smoothly and actually has games this time I would love to have this

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Knowing Nintendo, I bet they could make some beautiful looking games for the Switch. Super Mario 3D World was a fantastic looking game on the Wii U (and same with Mario Kart 8 despite both ran at 720p and with no anti aliasing), and even when you go back to the Wii and GameCube, they've always had some standout looking games that look really nice.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Will wait for some solid reviews first and then decide.

If it works as well as advertised and has a good library of exclusives, then yes, I would buy one. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I think we can stop calling it the NX now. And I can't wait to get one.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

It looks pretty awesome, although I definitely feel like it's very gimmicky. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

two things I always consider price and selection.

I'm optimistic but lets see what happens

I am all for a game console to deliver a unique experience over the PC.. I mean else.. what's the point? I can plug my PC to my TV.. but my computer monitor is way better than my TV in any case. The console needs to justify the higher priced games, and other downsides from PCs.

To me, this deliver on this.

• Nintendo Games. This isn't just 1 or 2 exclusive games. The company has a collection of games.
  • Gaming anywhere at home and on the go, where you can continue your game where you left it. Even if battery life is..say 3-4h which is probably the case.. this is pretty good. I mean if you use it to go to school or work, you can charge it once there. I am sure there will be a charging cable.
  • No installation of games (if cartridges used), bringing the old console of plug-in and play feel.
  • Local multiplayer gaming.. Nintendo's forte. Something that is difficult to find on the PC (and other consoles).

As for other console:
  • Most likely free multiplayer online... yes.. it will probably continue to lack behind XBox One and PS4 networks, and probably still lack voice chat while gaming... but it is free. Already on PC, I use Skype, as all other solutions (that I tried) has shitty audio quality. And, I am used to Skype with friend and family even when playing on a console... we all have phones or a laptop we can use for that. So to me, it is like PCs (in terms of free), but it is a console. The lower price point (rumor of $299, makes up for it in my book... I mean it doesn't try to be a $500 underpowered PC... ).

Nintendo are the only ones out of the big three who's products I actually give a damn about and as a long time gameboy user I'd be happy with the added mobile functionality as gaming on a phone sucks imo, they just have to pump out some good first party titles and get 3rd party support and they'll be golden

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Still not quite sold on it, I liked what I saw of it in the trailer, but it remains to be seen if they will actually have good third party support this time around. And though I personally don't care for the portable mode, I sure hope that screen is touchscreen and can let you do more than just play games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Still not quite sold on it, I liked what I saw of it in the trailer, but it remains to be seen if they will actually have good third party support this time around. And though I personally don't care for the portable mode, I sure hope that screen is touchscreen and can let you do more than just play games.

You are most likely going to have the same apps as on WiiU in terms of multimedia functionality, but don't expect to put an SD card in with movies and play them. I doubt Nintendo is interested in paying for a video player and codec licensing. It was never the case before, I doubt they'll change.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You are most likely going to have the same apps as on WiiU in terms of multimedia functionality, but don't expect to put an SD card in with movies and play them. I doubt Nintendo is interested in paying for a video player and codec licensing. It was never the case before, I doubt they'll change.

Yeaaaah, that's unfortunate that they aren't doing so. As long as it get netflix and a web browser I guess it would be "good enough". Until someone hack the console to allow video playback like they did with the Wii.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Am I the only one whose answer is a flat "no"?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Am I the only one whose answer is a flat "no"?

There's at leas two of us :P 

So, no. But then again, I'm not part of their target market.

Mobile Skyrim, sign me up! 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I am really intrigued. I have moved to playing most games on PC however I still really like the Nintendo exclusives. I won't be buying at launch but maybe for christmas in a few years.

I'll need to see what it is capable of - for me, as good as Skyrim is... a five year old game as your flagship advertising title? No thanks. 

Owning my phone/tablet and Xbone, I'm not sure I could go all in on a dedicated gaming device anymore - my Xbone can do tv, play blurays, streaming and other smart things in addition to gaming - even when not being used as a gaming device, it still gets used more than any other device in the house because it can do some much more. 

I'll always have a soft spot for Nintendo, I've owned every major device they've made, but I sold my Wii U as I didn't use it enough, and my New 3DS doesn't get anywhere near as much use as it should, but I'll wait and see and will probably get one, not at launch though.

It looks cool, but if the library is underwhelming like the Wii U was (there were a few hidden gems), than no. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

From what I've seen so far, yes, I'd be interested. If the price is right I may buy one, although I'll probably still wait for it to drop a bit. It doesn't try to be a bad pc and offers something new, which is exactly what a console should do in my opinion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

From what I've seen so far, yes, I'd be interested. If the price is right I may buy one, although I'll probably still wait for it to drop a bit. It doesn't try to be a bad pc and offers something new, which is exactly what a console should do in my opinion.

I don't think the WiiU has dropped in price.