Upgrade from a Sony A330- Mirorless vs Camcorder

I want to buy a new camera or camcorder for my GF. She has been doing photography for about 6 years with her sony a330 (parents bought it for her back in HS). She is close to finishing up her undergraduate degree and will be taking a videography class but her sony a330 does not support film. So in anticipation of her needing a a camera/camcorder for her last few classes and use after graduation, I would like to buy her one.

Some of what I have been looking at:

Mirror less dslr:                                                             

• Panasonic Gh4
  • Panasonic gx85
  • Panasonic g85
  • Panasonic g7
  • Panasonic gx8
  • Sony alpha a6300
  • Sony alpha a6500
  • Sony alpha a7
  • Sony alpha a7 II

Camcorders:

• Canon Xf100
  • Sony Ax100
  • Canon g30
  • Canon XA30
  • Canon XC10
  • Canon - VIXIA HF G40 
  • Sony HDR CX900
  • Sony AX53
  • Sony AX33
  • Canon - VIXIA HF G20 
  • Panasonic - HC-VX870K 4K 

So I am not really trying to pick a specific device NOW ( but if you have a recommendation please share :D, will be buying in the next month or so), my main question is: Since her camera is so old would one of the mirror-less dslrs that I listed be drastically better (or slightly better) at stills? If so, then it would make sense to buy one with recording function and forget about camcorders? Or should she stick with the sony A330 and get a camcorder?

I will be getting an aftermarket audio solution for either option

Thanks to anyone reading this!!

The first thing I would suggest is that you discuss with her what sort of camera she wants to get.  Unless you have a clear understanding of what she is looking for in a camera, don't surprise her with any gift.  She might have a better knowledge of cameras and what she wants and you may end up getting her something that's not suitable.

In terms of images produced by a new camera, there are two parts.  The first part is sensor and imaging processor technology.  A more modern camera than her A330 will have a better performance in terms of things like high ISO noise reduction and dynamic range.  The second part is independent of the camera used, it relies on the skill and talent of the camera's user.  The second part is also the more important and more essential part.

Now, the other part of your inquiry.  Using a DSLR/Mirrorless type camera vs camcorder/video camera for video.  There are pros and cons to both systems.  There isn't a clear answer to whether one is better than the other because it always depends on the unique individual need of each user.  A soccer mom wanting to record memories of her children's school events or someone who wants to have fun recording videos is normally better suited with a camcorder because most of what they need will be inside that one package called the camcorder.  Someone who wants to do some artistic or creative stuff might be more suited with a DSLR/Mirrorless but this implies investing in additional accessories, more time spent on learning and practicing.  That doesn't mean that either system cannot be used by a soccer mom or a film student.  I've known film students who produce fantastic work with a camcorder than their classmates who use fancy DSLRs.  Cameras in the end are just tools, tools that enable their user to express creativity.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 10/20/2016 at 1:12 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

The first thing I would suggest is that you discuss with her what sort of camera she wants to get.  Unless you have a clear understanding of what she is looking for in a camera, don't surprise her with any gift.  She might have a better knowledge of cameras and what she wants and you may end up getting her something that's not suitable.

I have spoken with her after your post and she is leaning towards Mirror-less DSLRs. She is skilled with her Sony A330 and feel like it would be an easier learning curve to either the Panasonic or Sony mirror-less cameras.  

1 minute ago, BendingTree said:

I have spoken with her after your post and she is leaning towards Mirror-less DSLRs. She is skilled with her Sony A330 and feel like it would be an easier learning curve to either the Panasonic or Sony mirror-less cameras.  

Alright, then does she need the camera primarily for photography or for video?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Alright, then does she need the camera primarily for photography or for video?

60% for video as she will be taking that class next semester

40% for photography since she still will need a few pieces of photography for her portfolio 

11 minutes ago, BendingTree said:

60% for video as she will be taking that class next semester

40% for photography since she still will need a few pieces of photography for her portfolio 

Well in this case, Sony and Panasonic would be the two options.  Canon and Nikon are pretty much lacking in the mirrorless dept.  Look at the models she likes, compare the specs.  Figure out the accessories she'll need to buy, see how it fits into the budget.  I pretty much doubt much of her A330 accessories will be compatible with the new camera.

Tips:

Make sure the camera has at least a mini jack for connecting an external mic or sound from an external recorder.  Even if she plans to record audio externally, having that jack will be convenient.

If she gets something like a A6300 or GH4 that can record 4K, general rule of thumb is that 4K requires 4 times the resources of FHD.  Storage space, processing power, bigger chances that flaws in filming will be more apparent, etc.