EA's BF 1 rental server program info released. PC pays premium price.

On October 18th EA released official pricing for their Rental Server Program (RSP for short), this list showed that PC edition servers would cost quite a bit more than their console equivalent. They released info about RSP earlier on October 1st to explain the outlines of what this program would be, here they already stated that PC would pay more, but not yet by how much. For people who don't know what EA's Rental Server Program is, here is the explanation from their blog post:

Post from October the 1st giving general description of RSP for BF1

What is the Rent a Server Program for Battlefield 1?

This will let you set up your own private and public Battlefield 1 servers, with control of different gameplay options to map rotations. Thanks to these customization options, you’ll be able to create games that suit the play style for you and your friends.

How do I rent a server?

You will be able to rent a server through the in-game store of Battlefield 1.
In the past, servers were handled by third-party companies – now, EA is providing them directly. We think this will benefit you in several ways. First off, we will be able to secure the quality of the actual hardware. Since the servers come from the same provider, it will give everyone the same uniform experience. Furthermore, if you have questions or need help, you will be able to reach out to EA Support directly instead of third party support.

But as I said, until the October the 18th, the exact features, prices and starting date for RSP where not released. They seem to have implemented some customization features, but nothing beyond basics sadly. There is no wording about what management options the owner of the server will have, and how bots/hacks will be reported and processed. they posted that the exact release date for RSP is November 1st.

Post from October the 18th about features

What types of features can I expect?

Among many other settings, players renting servers will be able to adjust:

• ticket count
  • bullet damage
  • modes
  • weapons
  • maps

Post from October the 19th about features

What types of features can I expect?

The biggest question, of course. We will update this thread tomorrow with some of the features you will have in the RSP.
Note: One of the top requested features if the Kick/Ban feature. We hear you and are working on rolling that out after the launch of the RSP.

Most interesting however (in my opinion at least) is the price difference for hosting servers for PC versus the hosting price for PS4 and Xbox One. with the PC's 180 days tier costing 150% of the console's 180 days tier, and the 90 days tier for PC costing as much as the 180 days tier for console, the highest difference is for 30 days where PC pays a 59.3% premium over console. Personally I kinda understand why they make this difference(possibly to do with hackers etc.) but am not really educated enough on the subject to make a valuable contribution to that discussion. However what I will say is that this price difference seems really steep and will be pretty hard to justify toward the end consumers. But without further do here is the complete price list with the difference calculated:

|    PC:    | PLAYSTATION® 4 / XBOX ONE: |  Difference: |  Price increase for pc:

1. 1 day:          |   $2.99   |                   $1.99                       |        $1.00     |               50.3%
  2. 7 days:         |  $11.99  |                   $7.99                       |        $4.00     |               50.1%
  3. 30 days:       |  $42.99  |                  $26.99                      |        $16.00   |               59.3%
  4. 90 days:       |  $99.99  |                  $64.99                      |        $35.00   |               53.9%
  5. 180 days:     |  $149.99 |                  $99.99                      |       $50.00    |               50%

Post from October 18th with raw price data

How much will it cost?

PC

• 1 day: $2.99
  • 7 days: $11.99
  • 30 days: $42.99
  • 90 days: $99.99
  • 180 days: $149.99

PLAYSTATION® 4 / XBOX ONE

• 1 day: $1.99
  • 7 days: $7.99
  • 30 days: $26.99
  • 90 days: $64.99
  • 180 days: $99.99

Source

Console players already get hosed by paying for xbox live and that crap. So they can't charge them the same amount we'd pay as a PC player when we just buy the game and then thats it.

Sure PC players get hosed. Console players get hosed every time they pay for xbox live and whatever Playstation calls their version of it. 

Yeah I saw this earlier and just facepalmed. This is why they keep trying to garden fence game servers in FPS games lately, so they can charge high prices themselves instead of allowing for a competitive market of server providers.

Thats not even expensive. Its always been around $40 a month for BF servers. EA was smart. They've been letting company's run the rental servers losing out on huge profits.PC will use a lot more bandwidth so not surprising it cost more.

7 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Console players already get hosed by paying for xbox live and that crap. So they can't charge them the same amount we'd pay as a PC player when we just buy the game and then thats it.

Sure PC players get hosed. Console players get hosed every time they pay for xbox live and whatever Playstation calls their version of it. 

yes but at least that comes with additional features and rewards. i just hope that they don't stop people from setting up their own server but they probably will since $$$.

2 minutes ago, Notree said:

Thats not even expensive. Its always been around $40 a month for BF servers. EA was smart. They've been letting company's run the rental servers losing out on huge profits.PC will use a lot more bandwidth so not surprising it cost more.

This was my guess as well. Console servers can be built to a rigid spec which will never change. PC servers may have to be upgraded.

Wait, does that mean this game doesn't have cross platform play? (No PC vs PS4/XB1 players?)

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

This was my guess as well. Console servers can be built to a rigid spec which will never change. PC servers may have to be upgraded.

Wait, does that mean this game doesn't have cross platform play? (No PC vs PS4/XB1 players?)

Lol, why would it have crossplatform play?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Why WOULDN'T it have crossplatform play? I thought that was already something that's been done? Why are we going backward? I thought that was already normal.

(Note: I never play online games... too many 10 year olds.)

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

because it removes barriers between people that want to play together. my friends don't like pc gaming, I don't like console gaming. with cross platform we can still game together. i mean, there probably is very little economic incentive to do so but it's a really great feature imo.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Why WOULDN'T it have crossplatform play? I thought that was already something that's been done? Why are we going backward? I thought that was already normal.

Because PC players well shit on everyone else, 144hz monitors, mouse and keyboard ???!!!!

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

6 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

That would be great! All online games should be cross platform, there is no reason not to.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, 3DOSH said:

Because PC players well shit on everyone else, 144hz monitors, mouse and keyboard ???!!!!

Exactly, it will show the console players how inept they really are.

11 minutes ago, Notree said:

Thats not even expensive. Its always been around $40 a month for BF servers. EA was smart. They've been letting company's run the rental servers losing out on huge profits. PC will use a lot more bandwidth so not surprising it cost more.

could you explain why? never heard of it before.

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

They'd never have cross platform. There be a ton of raging console players.

6 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

I bet they won't even be higher tickrate than the console offering.

I dont see why they'd change that from bf4. Unless they sell higher hz servers at a premium. Which by the pricing is not the case.

12 minutes ago, Notree said:

They'd never have cross platform. There be a ton of raging console players.

Haha, all the more reason PC gamers should wish they implement cross-platform. 

1 hour ago, tlink said:

oi, smarties. you know WHY its more expensive?

@GSTARR@Orangeator@tlink@Notree

BECAUSE PC GETS THE ABILITY TO RUN HIGHER TICK RATE SERVERS. AKA MORE TICKS = MORE SYNCS = HIGHER REFRESH MONITORS ACTUALLY MATTER!!!! PC CAN ACTUALLY RUN UP TO 120Hz SERVERS. PS/XBOX CANNOT

PS/XBOX WILL BE LIMITED TO 30-45Hz SERVERS -> AS USUAL!!

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
fixed obnoxious font

19 minutes ago, Prysin said:

*snip*

thanks now im blind, worst of it is that you used comic sans.

but on a serious note, okay that explains it, it wasn't mentioned anywhere so i had no clue.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Curious as to why you tagged me in this and called me smartie? I never once made a comment regarding the price of renting a server...

30 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

28 minutes ago, tlink said:

because it removes barriers between people that want to play together. my friends don't like pc gaming, I don't like console gaming. with cross platform we can still game together. i mean, there probably is very little economic incentive to do so but it's a really great feature imo.

Are you both serious? Do you actually think it would be an equal playing field or are you both trolling?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

28 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

That would be great! All online games should be cross platform, there is no reason not to.

Controllers cant compete with mouse and keyboard

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Are you both serious? Do you actually think it would be an equal playing field or are you both trolling?

nobody is saying anything about an equal playing field. i don't play games like these to be highly competitive. i play them for fun. why can't we just get all? cross platform servers, console servers, and pc servers. viola problem solved.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

nobody is saying anything about an equal playing field. i don't play games like these to be highly competitive. i play them for fun. why can't we just get all? cross platform servers, console servers, and pc servers. viola problem solved.

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It's not about an equal playing field... Console players chose to use a controller, we chose to use a keyboard and mouse. It's up to them to be capable of competing with us. If two men know they have to fight each other and one brings a knife and the other brings a gun... Yeah it's not fair, but he chose to bring the knife to the gun fight. 

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Controllers cant compete with mouse and keyboard

Read what I said above.