Nintendo Switch

I'll take it.  Looks great... even with the potential for horrific issues.  Not sure how durable the controller detachable thingies are gonna be, or battery life for that matter, but it looks legit cool.  After all the crap renders by people, this is a very nice looking device imo...

Also puts it in perspective... Skyrim on a portable device.  I'm guessing lower resolutions... but still... damn. 

At least this time they have an excuse for not being as powerful as the competitors. the xbone and ps4 ain't mobile consoles. also who else thinks the dock probably holds extra processing hardware to help with bigger resolutions?

Error 404 humor not found.

4 minutes ago, n00bmlg said:

I hated all of the rumors, but I must say I'm pretty hyped for this

Man... the rumors and those renders really did put forth a worst case scenario.  Granted we did get an excellent trolling with the oval controller hoax.  Overall I'm pleased with the design and idea behind the Switch.  And the name is less of a bummer than the Wii was coming in from the Revolution.  

1 hour ago, Monte_Carlo said:

Man... the rumors and those renders really did put forth a worst case scenario.  Granted we did get an excellent trolling with the oval controller hoax.  Overall I'm pleased with the design and idea behind the Switch.  And the name is less of a bummer than the Wii was coming in from the Revolution.  

im not the biggest fan of the name but atleast the name is better than wii u

Error 404 humor not found.

I won't be buying a Nintendo Switch for the portability gimmick. But, hey, if I can play Nintendo exclusives away from home at a proper gaming framerate with acceptable visuals and controls, so much the better. I won't struggle to find uses for that.

2 hours ago, typographie said:

I won't be buying a Nintendo Switch for the portability gimmick. But, hey, if I can play Nintendo exclusives away from home at a proper gaming framerate with acceptable visuals and controls, so much the better. I won't struggle to find uses for that.

I'm curious why you refer to it as a gimmick and not a feature. 

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

One man's feature is another man's gimmick.

That's hardly an explanation. 

"Gimmick" is typically used in a condescending/negative tone. I'm simply inquiring as to why you view it that way. 

Edit // Oops. I got you and the other person mixed up. 

2 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

I'm curious why you refer to it as a gimmick and not a feature. 

Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply the portability feature had no value. I suppose I chose that word because I don't see the portability as something that will directly improve the core gaming experience most players will have with it on a day-to-day basis. Superficially, it looks like another case of tech executives deciding what "the future of gaming" is, and designing a product to suit that instead of addressing the demand that currently exists. I'd wager a lot of people who want an ordinary living room console experience will wish they had focused more on console-specific features.

On the other hand, if they can deliver first-party games to the same technical standards they have been for a reasonable price and do it in an optionally portable device, I'll find that hard to complain about. So I'm cautiously optimistic. It's the first Nintendo console in a long time I am seriously considering purchasing.

Can we all just take a moment of silence to the finality of the Wii U... R.I.P

Smash and Splatoon were hours of fun on the Wii U, but I'm definitely SWITCHing to the NS real quick.. I am really set at ease seeing all the 3rd party support the NS is getting, and it seems to be shedding that "child's console" stigma that surrounds Nintendo in general.

Side note: It also looked like they subtly announced a new Mario, Mario Kart, and possibly Splatoon game/update coming along with Zelda BoTW? I've never really been that big on the Mario franchise specifically (I wouldn't buy the NS if they only had Mario games) but that new Mario game looks beautiful and definitely on my wishlist. Now if we could just get a new Metroid/F-Zero game...

I'm excited, I wasn't as excited for the Wii U OTHER than the fact that Nintendo would finally offer games in HD. Assuming the Switch will offer a MINIMUM of a SOLID 30fps I'll be okay with that BUT 60fps being more common would be ideal of course.The switch looks awesome, now I can take Zelda Breath of the Wild with me when I'm not home. I bought the Wii U expecting Zelda and now I will be buying the Switch JUST for Zelda. Nintendo has potentially hit it out of the park and my faith has been restored.

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I'm really confused on how they plan to do this. Will the console stand part contain half the horsepower? And how do they plan on running modern games on such a skinny tablet like controller without capping it at 10 fps. 

i5-4690k | GALAX HoF 980Ti | MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | 2xHyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz | 2x240GB Kingston SSD in RAID-0 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | NZXT H440 | Corsair H75 | Corsair RM750

Do not go gentle, into that good night.

3 hours ago, AlexisWiiu said:

I'm really confused on how they plan to do this. Will the console stand part contain half the horsepower? And how do they plan on running modern games on such a skinny tablet like controller without capping it at 10 fps. 

Well it is running a Tegra chip, either an X1 or an X2. Basically it's going to be sitting about half-way between the Wii U and XBOne. Possibly a little bit closer to the XBOne if it's using NVidia's newest Tegra Chip. And on a 6" 720p screen? That's not bad at all. And I don't think the console stand will control any extra horsepower. But what it will have is mains power. And when you give your GPU a little bit of extra power? It can be pushed a little bit more.

Anyways, I don't see this as a console that's trying to beat Microsoft and Sony at their own game. It's a console that's being something other than a PC with a closed ecosystem. It's trying to do to consoles what tablets did to laptops. They're betting on the idea that a lot of people are going to give up a bit of horsepower for convenience. They're betting that you don't care about 4K as much as you care about being able to play a AAA game while on a plane, at the park or in bed. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Tegra chip means 0 backwards compatibility with 3ds titles and shuns them from console ports for another generation because no company will want to work with it either. It's underpowered, again, when this could have easily just been a generation where they go with some standard AMD hardware like the competition, plus just like how Nvidia burned other companies like Microsoft and Apple I hope they don't burn Nintendo this time.

The handheld is too big, I can't realistically take this anywhere without a bag, so this isn't even an upgrade to my 3ds. Plus I'll guarantee that it'll be too expensive to be comfortable taking this on travel anyways.

They show some old Wii U titles running on it but I'm almost certain these are re-releases, I hope to god that you don't have to rebuy these titles but knowing Nintendo you most likely have to.

Not gonna buy, looks like shit, massive disappointment.

Some further details from the people who were on the money about what this thing would be:

Source: http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

1. That second button is a share button

Which would only make sense given that's what the extra button on the PS4 is used for. This is the one that seems to have the least amount of sources backing it. So if anything in this post is wrong it'd be this one. Not to mention Nintendo can change what that button does pretty easily.

2. It's going to be region free unlike the 3DS and Wii U

This one isn't at all confirmed by Nintendo themselves. They've been asked about it elsewhere and have chosen not to comment. But the people who managed to be on the money about what the Switch would be? They've got multiple sources saying that it's region free. Which would be great for a system that lends itself to use on planes. Personally I don't care but it's certainly not something to complain about

3. Detachable controllers have rumble and motion controls

Again multiple sources on this one. But the idea is that those side sections would end up replacing the old Wii Remotes. But in the mean time Nintendo's older controllers will be supported and Ubisoft are apparently supporting them for Just Dance. Which would make what @LinusTech said on the WAN show wrong. Thankfully. Why wasn't any of this in the trailer? Well their Nintendo source claims that after the confusion with the Wii U reveal they wanted to make the messaging as clear and focused as possible. Which is why the trailer is literally just people playing on the TV, picking up the unit, getting on a plane or something and then playing some more

4. Beyond Good and Evil 2 as a Nintendo funded exclusive

This one apparently has only one source but things have happened since which go a long way to verifying it. The source from Ubisoft said that Nintendo and Ubisoft were in talks about Nintendo funding it as an exclusive title. Now whether those discussions were successful or not they don't say. It's also unclear whether they meant a timed exclusive like Zombi U was or more of a Red Steel type proper exclusive. However Ubisoft have done deals like this with Nintendo in the past and since they leaked this the game has been announced. So it could definitely be a thing on NX.

5. That screen is a multi-touch Touchscreen

I don't know why it wouldn't be TBH. But their sources also confirm that one. I reckon the reason they didn't show this was the same reason they didn't show the motion control functionality. The last thing they want is for people to be thinking of this as a Wii U lite or something.

6. When docked it'll perform better

The writer of the article goes on to speculate about what this means. Concluding that there might be some kind of second GPU in the dock or something. They have not been able to confirm any of that speculation. I honestly don't see how the dock is much more than just an AV and power pass-through. I personally think the thing will just apply a more aggressive cooling profile and turn off a bunch of power saving features.

7. Average Battery Life

3 hours of gameplay is the claim. Which suprisingly lines up pretty neatly with some battery stress tests anandtech did of the Shield Tablet

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8329/revisiting-shield-tablet-gaming-ux-and-battery-life

edit: Things Nintendo have officially confirmed:

1. They have nothing else to say about it this year, more details closer to launch

2. 3DS cartridges and Wii U disks won't work in it

3. It's designed to be a single screen experience

4. It will support Amiibo

5. The main function of the dock is to provide video output to the TV and charge the system itself

Edited by skywake

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing