i5 3570K vs FX-8350 Showdown Part 1 - 1080p & no AA

LinusTech

There seems to be a lot of information out there comparing these two chips so we decided to chuck them on our test benches and see how things go. This is also our first video sponsored by NVIDIA, so while we were planning to use a 660 Ti already for this, it's great to get some awesome gaming companies to step in and sponsor gaming related content as long as it doesn't create a conflict.

The conclusion for this video is pretty simple to me. The 3570K runs away with single threaded performance, but in games that really take advantage of multi-core (and this will become more common in the future) the FX-8350 will take the crown. With that said, the FX-8350 draws more power, kicks out more heat, and DOES perform worse in many modern games. The other thing to consider is that while the FX-8350 may be outperformed by the price-competitive Intel equivalent, it's never to the point where a game is playable on Intel and NOT playable on AMD.

You can see how complicated this gets.

Here are some graphs: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2LKAgEko3SATlBMWjhqVUlZWlk/edit?usp=sharing

Sweet vid, i decided to go intel for my rig even though i was upgrading from a 990 fx system. just because intel. i haven't regretted it, even though i could have saved money on not buying a new motherboard and getting the 8350 which ran similarly ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

"We saw very very similar performance on Far Cry 3" They were the same number Linus :P

Those results weren't what I was expecting..

Great Review man :D

Windows 8 and a more powerful card next :cool:

• AMD 7850 - 2GB GDDR5 256bits
  • gBANDWIDTH = 170.2 GB/s
  • gSHADERS = 1024 unified
  • gCPUoc = 1050 mhz
  • gMEMoc = 1330 mhz (x4)
  • gPIXELfillrate = 33.6 GP/s
  • gTEXTUREfillrate = 67.2 GT/s

I am going to get an Intel CPU just because they have the most powerful CPUs currently.

should do stock clocks... not everyone overclock... alot of gamers dont know anything about computers, so overclocking it doesnt show how im sure 70% of gamers would use

Could you also do benchmark using multitask/threaded applications? (non-gaming)

Looks like an upgrade this year upto a 3570k from my FX 4170 :P

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

While the FX 8350 @ 190$ doesn't appear to be a much better value than the 3570k @ 220$ , the FX 8320 @ 170$ definitely does, because the 50 dollar difference equates to the difference between an HD 7870 and an HD 7950 which will have a bigger impact on FPS where it counts, and that is in very GPU intensive games like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3.

& let's not forget that the FX 8320 is also unlocked, so achieving great overclocks is still possible.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club

You have to look at it from a couple of angles to realize that when budget constraints are applied, which lets face it, they almost always are, the AMD CPU offerings become very competitive and extremely attractive .

My 2 cents.

So lets break this down... AMD 8350 is 200$ and 3570k is 230 which is 15% more in price. So with the exception for SC2 and Skyrim. Both silly titles but w/e The 8350 Wins in price to performance ratio. if the 3570k doesn't beat it by 15% more its a win. So in concluding you cant go wrong with the 8350 for its current price and more optimizations coming in future games. This doesn't even mention the average price on high end boards is also lower for AMD.

Linus, you have got to re-do these tests.

We all know you have a Titan, don't ruin the test because the 660ti is "...very, very, very popular."

No way 95% of people are only overclocking their 3570K's to 4.2GHz... The clock for the 8350 seems OK-ish... Should of gone further.

Dislike for charity :[ ....

Same opinion as wats; I saw the vid and immediately thought; 4.2GHz this is such a low overclock.

I have never seen people take the middle ground to gain a performance boost out of their CPU.

Would love to see these tests again at stock and at all you can push out of the chips with a H100i because tbf that will be achievable by anyone +/- 200MHz.

Like you said the FX produces more heat so you can overclock it far less if you are temperature limited.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I just saw the 8320 for $140 this past weekend at Microcenter...couldn't believe my eyes. They also had the 8350 a few weeks ago for $170. If you get it at those prices, especially the 8320, then definitely AMD no questions asked.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Same opinion as wats; I saw the vid and immediately thought; 4.2GHz this is such a low overclock.

I have never seen people take the middle ground to gain a performance boost out of their CPU.

Would love to see these tests again at stock and at all you can push out of the chips with a H100i because tbf that will be achievable by anyone +/- 200MHz.

Like you said the FX produces more heat so you can overclock it far less if you are temperature limited.

This is a common misconception , the FX 8350 actually runs cooler than the 3570K not hotter.

The 3570K runs especially hotter than the AMD 8 core and the 2500K because of it's larger GPU die size.

WTB benchmarks like Logan did where he streamed in HD while gaming ....

and ...

Linus what memory was used with each cpu ? Doesn't an AMD cpu benefit from faster ram ?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

"We saw very very similar performance on Far Cry 3" They were the same number Linus :P

Those results weren't what I was expecting..

he meant similar as in similar in terms of the minimum maximum as well as average.

and yes the average (what we saw) was the same,but the min and max were probably as he said very very similar (not the same)

and performance is dependent on minimum AND average fps.

so yes he probably "saw very very similar performance on Far Cry 3"

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I just saw the 8320 for $140 this past weekend at Microcenter...couldn't believe my eyes. They also had the 8350 a few weeks ago for $170. If you get it at those prices, especially the 8320, then definitely AMD no questions asked.
they also had a 2500K for $99 on christmas (or black friday idk which) + the always $40-50 off on the motherboard

isn't microcenter boss?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

what do you think, 3570k will have the same performance even when the games will be ported from a 8 core-amd playstation 4, or the fx 8350 will be favored?