Apple: Almost 90% of Apple Chargers and Cables Sold on Amazon [as official] Are Fake

DiaSin
59 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

People are buying what they think are first party chargers and cables and getting counterfeits. They aren't buying third party chargers and cables in this instance so price isn't a factor.

The price on amazon is cheaper therfor people are actually willing to buy from amazon, and likely the quality is no worse than apples as their accessories as often crap quality, just look how often their non fake cable breaks for people

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

The price on amazon is cheaper therfor people are actually willing to buy from amazon, and likely the quality is no worse than apples as their accessories as often crap quality, just look how often their non fake cable breaks for people

Again price isn't the issue here. People are buying what they think are and are advertised as first party Apple chargers and cables. They are getting knockoffs instead. It's similar to what happened with type-C cables. People bought what they thought were approved cables and instead got crap. A big part of the issue is that it's not third parties selling these on Amazon. These knockoffs are being sold by Amazon themselves.

Apple filed a trademark infringement case against Mobile Star LLC for supplying dangerous goods which impacted on Apple’s reputation. This company is Amazon’s official supplier according to an investigation.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

3 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Apple filed a trademark infringement case against Mobile Star LLC for supplying dangerous goods which impacted on Apple’s reputation.

Except here's the kicker apple makes equally crappy cables, I really don't care about the sellers tbh I'm just expressing that apple can prevent imitators cashing in simply by not over charging since people are buying because of the price

I'm aware apple would see this as a trademark infringement since it is if they claim to be first party products, that is not being disputed by me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

apples biggest sellers are phones tablets and macs....amazon is a retailer first......there not competiters. even if they were WTF has that got to do with amazon selling knock off apple chargers?

Amazon is a cloud computing company first, retail second.

Both Amazon and Apple share market space.

Also, to answer question, Amazon Marketplace (Not Amazon.com), probably is what is creating all the chaos. Amazon Marketplace is what every one freaks out over when anything says that "Amazon" is selling fake ______.

12 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

For a while now I've noticed the quality of Amazon(as a retailer) deteriorate. My theory is that Amazon is growing too big for what they can handle and they are neglecting some of their services to experiment with others.

I could possibly agree to this to an extent. About a month ago I ordered some shit off of Amazon. Two things came fine, but this is where it just gets messy. My second package, one of the CD's showed up with a broken case, and a box set I ordered was missing two discs. I'd have not been so disappointed had the order not been fulfilled by Amazon.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

how is amazon a competitor? amazon are a retailer more than anything and apple are a manufacturer more than anything so........eh?

Apple has retail stores. It seems ill advised that they would say "We want to do direct sales only from now on" but if they want to get fucking retarded like that they could.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Doesn't surprise me... At all. 

Why's that?

Amazon is a reputable company.  I don't have a way to know for sure but it's possible Amazon didn't know it was getting fakes.

Though you'd think Apple would directly sell its products to resellers/retailers and make sure it was the only legitimate source.

Or that Amazon would better check the legitimacy of its suppliers and products those suppliers are selling to Amazon.  

33 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I could possibly agree to this to an extent. About a month ago I ordered some shit off of Amazon. Two things came fine, but this is where it just gets messy. My second package, one of the CD's showed up with a broken case, and a box set I ordered was missing two discs. I'd have not been so disappointed had the order not been fulfilled by Amazon.

Was Amazon the seller too or just fulfilling the order?

If they weren't the seller it's not their fault you got crap items instead of ones in good condition.  For fulfillment by Amazon items my guess is all they do is grab an item off a warehouse shelf, stick it in a box, and ship it to the address you provide.

Otherwise if Amazon was the seller then yes they should've checked the items thoroughly before shipment.

Though to be fair I've got things sold by Amazon itself that had clear damage to the exterior of the packaging or you could hear they were broken inside just by holding an item in your hand and turning it over a few times.

Once I ordered a season of a tv series I think it was that had so much broken plastic inside that it sounded like a baby rattle.  How some moron in an Amazon warehouse missed that when boxing up my order I'll never understand.  ?

Or how last summer (this was two separate orders on different days) I ordered a GTX 1070 in one order and a HEPA filter for my air purifier in the other.  The 1070 got shipped in a plastic bag like you'd normally see clothing shipped in.  Zero protection, the bag looked beat up and had holes in it when I got it and the 1070 box had slight damage to it.  

The HEPA filter came in a medium size cardboard box with a bunch of air pillows.

Notice a difference in how the orders were packaged and the difference in fragility/cost?  >_>

It's like my orders were packaged by someone with the logic of The Joker.  ?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Was Amazon the seller too or just fulfilling the order?

If they weren't the seller it's not their fault you got crap items instead of ones in good condition.  For fulfillment by Amazon items my guess is all they do is grab an item off a warehouse shelf, stick it in a box, and ship it to the address you provide.

Otherwise if Amazon was the seller then yes they should've checked the items thoroughly before shipment.

Though to be fair I've got things sold by Amazon itself that had clear damage to the exterior of the packaging or you could hear they were broken inside just by holding an item in your hand and turning it over a few times.

Once I ordered a season of a tv series I think it was that had so much broken plastic inside that it sounded like a baby rattle.  How some moron in an Amazon warehouse missed that when boxing up my order I'll never understand.  ?

Or how last summer (this was two separate orders on different days) I ordered a GTX 1070 in one order and a HEPA filter for my air purifier in the other.  The 1070 got shipped in a plastic bag like you'd normally see clothing shipped in.  Zero protection, the bag looked beat up and had holes in it when I got it and the 1070 box had slight damage to it.  

The HEPA filter came in a medium size cardboard box with a bunch of air pillows.

Notice a difference in how the orders were packaged and the difference in fragility/cost?  >_>

It's like my orders were packaged by someone with the logic of The Joker.  ?

For the box set, Amazon fulfilled the seller. For the CD that came in a shit case, that was actually sold by Amazon.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

For the box set, Amazon fulfilled the seller. For the CD that came in a shit case, that was actually sold by Amazon.

Ok.  So box set the seller's fault.  The CD Amazon's for not packaging it better would be my assessment.

Thankfully most of my orders come just fine. 

32 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why's that?

Amazon is a reputable company.  I don't have a way to know for sure but it's possible Amazon didn't know it was getting fakes.

Though you'd think Apple would directly sell its products to resellers/retailers and make sure it was the only legitimate source.

Or that Amazon would better check the legitimacy of its suppliers and products those suppliers are selling to Amazon.  

Because Amazon is a re-seller of millions of SKUs and doesn't have the resources to diligently QC everything that goes out the door. 

I buy my charging cords directly from apple, they always end up getting torn apart and changing color to greenish blue within a few months. I don't get why that happens to their chargers and not to other that I've bought from at&t

On 10/20/2016 at 11:05 AM, AresKrieger said:

Except here's the kicker apple makes equally crappy cables, I really don't care about the sellers tbh I'm just expressing that apple can prevent imitators cashing in simply by not over charging since people are buying because of the price

I've never had an Apple cable break or any cable for that matter. Treat them poorly and they won't last long. However that was never the point of the article. 

I'm aware apple would see this as a trademark infringement since it is if they claim to be first party products, that is not being disputed by me.

And that was. I don't see why you brought up price when you do in fact seem to understand why Apple wasn't happy when Amazon themselves was selling third party chargers and cables as official ones. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

As much as I'd like to call this a ploy to get people to spend money on Apple products, this is legitimately a problem.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

On 20/10/2016 at 2:53 PM, AresKrieger said:

The simple solution is stop charging so much for your god damn cables and people will buy the first party ones, also even if they are "fake" I'd bet quite a few work just fine.

shut up cheap fag, go buy original lightning cable for 25$ and after 2 months rebuy it because it's already broken 

Can't really trust amazon with their product descriptions. Want the original, then go to the actual store and grab one. Not only for Apple chargers, but for others too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Amazon sells FAKE storage also. Like fake USB drives. All these sellers on eBay that were successful wanted to flood the amazon market also. It's no surprise.

There are also fake listings on amazon. Fake batteries mAH, 1080p projectors (anything 50 dollars or less), and anything a average consumer wouldn't test or hard to test.