My PS4 is only outputting 5.1 sound when I have a 2.1 setup while watching bluray, how do I fix this?

Profoundsoup

My PS4 is only outputting 5.1 sound when I have a 2.1 setup while watching bluray, how do I fix this? If I open the information tab while watching a bluray it shows 5.1 but having 5.1 sound on a 2.1 setup makes the voices and effects sound bad. 

1 minute ago, Profoundsoup said:

My PS4 is only outputting 5.1 sound when I have a 2.1 setup while watching blueray, how do I fix this?

Check the audio settings in ps4. What are you suing to connect your sound system to your PS4?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

6 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Check the audio settings in ps4. What are you suing to connect your sound system to your PS4?

Optical from my receiver and I have went through the settings, doesnt allow me to change any surround or sterio settings....

What do you mean "when you have a 2.1 setup" ?

What setting are you changing to turn your 5.1 into a 2.1 system?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What do you mean "when you have a 2.1 setup" ?

What setting are you changing to turn your 5.1 into a 2.1 system?

I dont even have a 5.1 setup only stereo...On Netflix on PC I can change my audio from 5.1 to stereo and it sounds so much better since I dont have the other speakers for the specific sounds. I dont know why my PS4 is playing 5.1 audio when I dont have a 5.1 setup...

2 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

I dont even have a 5.1 setup only stereo...

Oh I misunderstood, it should output stereo by default. How do you know it's outputting 5.1?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

6 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Oh I misunderstood, it should output stereo by default. How do you know it's outputting 5.1?

When I press triangle it displays the information. Shows it is 5.1, 48khz. I thought it would default to stereo by default as well but it doesnt...

11 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

I dont even have a 5.1 setup only stereo...On Netflix on PC I can change my audio from 5.1 to stereo and it sounds so much better since I dont have the other speakers for the specific sounds. I dont know why my PS4 is playing 5.1 audio when I dont have a 5.1 setup...

So how exactly does it sound worse...?

5.1 is literally the exact same as 2.1 just with 3 added speakers.

If you don't have the 3 extra speakers of 5.1, then you can't hear anything from them..............

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

So how exactly does it sound worse...?

5.1 is literally the exact same as 2.1 just with 3 added speakers.

If you don't have the 3 extra speakers of 5.1, then you can't hear anything from them..............

Im sorry but that is false. Movies and shows have sounds for 5.1 setups like extra effects that get trimmed down into a stereo setup and it also assumes the "voice" should come out of the central channel .If it is set to 5.1 and you have a stereo setup it gets mushed together. Yeah it sounds fine but voices dont sound good at all. If like on Netflix I get it to 2.1 vs 5.1 it sounds much louder, clear and I can hear the voices over the background vs if I have it on 5.1 where it all kinda sounds meshed together. Thats why they have those options then lol. You put the sound mix to match your speaker setup.

3 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

Im sorry but that is false. Movies and shows have sounds for 5.1 setups like extra effects that get trimmed down into a stereo setup and it also assumes the "voice" should come out of the central channel .If it is set to 5.1 and you have a stereo setup it gets mushed together. Yeah it sounds fine but voices dont sound good at all. If like on Netflix I get it to 2.1 vs 5.1 it sounds much louder, clear and I can hear the voices over the background vs if I have it on 5.1 where it all kinda sounds meshed together. 

That depends what device he is using.

If it is an AV receiver it should automatically combine any audio input to 2.1 when the output is set to 2.1.

Spoiler

Try changing the audio setting on the PS4 from HDMI to Digital Out (OPTICAL) and disable DDS5.1, DTS5.1 and ACC (with Linear PCM checked). This should force the PS4 to output 2.1 audio.

34 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

Try changing the audio setting on the PS4 from HDMI to Digital Out (OPTICAL) and disable DDS5.1, DTS5.1 and ACC (with Linear PCM checked). This should force the PS4 to output 2.1 audio.

I just tried this and it still says 5.1.....could it be the bluray that does this by chance?

3 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

I just tried this and it still says 5.1.....could it be the bluray that does this by chance?

Do you mean that particular blu ray or blu rays in general?  If you mean that specific one, I would say I doubt it. That just seems to me like something that they would all do.. or none of them.  But I'm no expert.  In fact, I pulled that off a Reddit thread. Ha. Some one had the same issue you described and it worked for him after some one else posted it. 

Are you using a receiver? It should have a selection of sound fields. 

Just now, TheBestUserName said:

Do you mean that particular blu ray or blu rays in general?  If you mean that specific one, I would say I doubt it. That just seems to me like something that they would all do.. or none of them.  But I'm no expert.  In fact, I pulled that off a Reddit thread. Ha. Some one had the same issue you described and it worked for him after some one else posted it. 

Are you using a receiver? It should have a selection of sound fields. 

Yeah its all setup fine. Maybe its just something with the PS4, because with Netflix on PC I can just select if I want 5.1 sound or the 2.1 mix so I assume its just that because In the PS4 settings it doesnt look like 5.1 is enabled but when Im on the bluray is shows 5.1 as the audio mix. So its just odd