Nintendo to finally shed more details about the NX early tomorrow (Update: this is the Nintendo Switch)

AlexGoesHigh
1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

To people complaining or worrying about the controller(s) being too small... 

Let me remind you of the size of the legendary NES and SNES controllers: 

Image result for nes controller

Image result for snes controller

As long as they don't feel cramped and provide good tactile feel/response, the size shouldn't really matter. 

It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Man that controller in it's normal configuration looks awkward to hold. Will be interesting to see how it performs!

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Nice! Can't wait to see what is coming up.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this won't suck.  But with the disaster that was the Wii and the only slightly better Wii U I'm unsure if it's wise to get my hopes up...

Ditching a bs motion controller or non-retail available gamepad is good but I'm worried that constantly taking the console thing in and out of the dock part and doing the same shuffling of the controller parts between that seperate thing and the screen/console part will put a lot of wear and tear on everything.  That could lead to loose fittings and trouble in the long run.

I'll probably still buy it but it's not what I was hoping for.  I just want a normal console like the GameCube.  Nintendo got that perfect but then started doing drugs ever since the Wii and things just haven't been nearly as good ever since...

9 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean.

Why does that sound dirty?  >_>  lol

I'm pretty sure I'd heard that Nintendo has made controllers in the US slightly larger in the past for at least some of its consoles to account for the typically letter hand size of Americans.  So it's possible the controller we end up getting for this thing won't be as small as it appears to be.

Dont know if this got brought up. I think the dock will be used to give the Switch incremental updates. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

32 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Dont know if this got brought up. I think the dock will be used to give the Switch incremental updates. 

Unlikely since the tegra chip is inside the tablet itself but it's not unfeasible: the daughter board would take over and use the better SoC on the dock however it would be a bit jarring to have worst visuals (not just resolution) on the tablet mode.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well this is disappointing, just release a Nintendo gamestore app on iOS and Android. 

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Unlikely since the tegra chip is inside the tablet itself but it's not unfeasible: the daughter board would take over and use the better SoC on the dock however it would be a bit jarring to have worst visuals (not just resolution) on the tablet mode.

Thats what im thinking. In the video zelda seemed to have some lagginess when in its portable mode. While thats probably because of a lower power operation I dont think most people would care.

It'd open up upgrades at a cost that sony and ms cant offer. Maybe have "dock only" games in the future

42 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Thats what im thinking. In the video zelda seemed to have some lagginess when in its portable mode. While thats probably because of a lower power operation I dont think most people would care.

It'd open up upgrades at a cost that sony and ms cant offer. Maybe have "dock only" games in the future

A trailer 6 months  before release tells nothing about framerates. Stop looking at that, Nintendo isn't Sony or MS and will not sacrifice framerate over resolution

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Skyrim Not Confirmed for Nintendo Switch, Despite Appearing in Video Reveal - GameSpot

"While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future." Bethesda

To be honest, I'm more inclined to believe that even if the switch gets Skyrim, it'll be a bastardized/nerfed build, not to even consider the likely absence of mods.

3 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Skyrim Not Confirmed for Nintendo Switch, Despite Appearing in Video Reveal - GameSpot

To be honest, I'm more inclined to believe that even if the switch gets Skyrim, it'll be a bastardized/nerfed build, not to even consider the likely absence of mods.

They said:

We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video

Looking at the footage carefully, it looks like a small demo was made, a specific scene was played in the game, it didn't change much between each time they showed. I think Bethesda is working on Skyrim for the console... but it won't be a launch title, and it might get canceled is the Switch doesn't sale well. The demo scene was probably the company playing with the hardware to discover it.

Just a sanity reminder that this is a console reveal trailer and all footage of games in the trailer was purely to facilitate that. Given that 90-100% of them were super-imposed actiony/trailer shots. We can't infer docked/undocked performance either.

Sure it was a promotional video so you can't really trust anything in it. But it is Nintendo and it is only 6 months before launch though. When they did the Wii U reveal it was about 18 months before launch. The only thing in that video that didn't end up in a game was the Zelda demo at the end. And they were pretty clear during E3 that it wasn't a real game. If you go back to the Wii trailer at E3 2006? The only thing in that which wasn't a game was the Pilotwings footage. And that was a tech demo which eventually made its way into Wii Sports Resort.

We can be critical about Nintendo for a whole lot of things. But being tricky about what content is shown in a promotional video? I don't think that's something they'd do so blatantly. Especially this close to launch. I don't trust quite Skyrim as being a game for the Switch. But Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon? I don't see any reason to doubt that those will be on the Switch within the first year if not at launch. But I guess we'll find out more soon enough.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I'm curios do people actually know that they are not going to be playing anything graphically demanding?

Or are they just that stupid that they will just blindly follow that idiotic commercial showing how amazing this crap is.

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

I'm curios do people actually know that they are not going to be playing anything graphically demanding?

Or are they just that stupid that they will just blindly follow that idiotic commercial showing how amazing this crap is.

I'm hyped about it but not because of the graphics. If all I ever wanted was graphics I'd only ever play games on my PC. What's exciting about this is that it's promising stuff that I can't do on my PC. And I'm pretty sure that's what everyone else is also getting hyped about. It's not unlike how people can get excited about a new phone or something.

On my PC I'm going to be able to play pretty much all of the big AAA games from third parties. I don't have an amazing PC but I have enough power that I can basically crank the settings up for most games and still get 1080p 60fps. But there are things I can't do on it. I can't play console exclusive titles, specifically Nintendo's content because they do make the best stuff. I also can't really play my PC games when and where I want to. I could take my laptop but frankly a laptop is a bit bulky. I could take a tablet but mobile games aren't that great.

So in comes this device from Nintendo. Will it be a graphical powerhouse? Well no. But on its presumably 720p I reckon games will look fine enough. And at 1080p on the TV? Well it's not going to be close to what I can do on my PC. But it will have Nintendo games and for Zelda? Who cares about the quality of the pixels. Especially if at any time I can pick the device up and play it in another room. It's the same reason I like the Wii U.... except a bit less clunky in its execution

15 minutes ago, skywake said:

And at 1080p on the TV?

You know there are games that run on the Wii U at 1080p right? And it's a triple A...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

53 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

You know there are games that run on the Wii U at 1080p right? And it's a triple A...

You took me out of context. I didn't say games wouldn't run at 1080p or say that the Wii U doesn't run some games at 1080p. I said that at 1080p when docked it's not going to be able to come close to what I can do on my PC. But that it doesn't matter because there will be games on it that aren't on PC and at any point I can undock the thing and continue playing away from the TV

3 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Who in the past 10 years has thought that nintendo consoles focused on graphical fidelity?

if bethesda could just port fallout 4 and skyrim over r* put rdr2 on it please thanks. then i can play on the bus on the way to work 

edit: also if you could add final fantasy 14 as well that would be great 

I lurk a lot

15 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

To people complaining or worrying about the controller(s) being too small... 

Let me remind you of the size of the legendary NES and SNES controllers: 

As long as they don't feel cramped and provide good tactile feel/response, the size shouldn't really matter. 

15 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Agreed, but wrong controller for the NES.

video-controller-orig.jpg

Hold on, since the controllers removable now maybe Nintendo can release custom controllers. Think about it, maybe we can get a NES/SNES themed ones that can attach to the Switch. I haven't used either of these consoles, but I still think it will pretty cool.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

8 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Pretty sure everyone knows that. It's Nintendo after all, people know what to expect from them since the Wii, less attention to graphics and more attention to gameplay.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Take everything with a grain of salt until we have solid evidence about supposed claims made in the promo. 

Think before you set foot on the hype train... ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

9 hours ago, skywake said:

You took me out of context. I didn't say games wouldn't run at 1080p or say that the Wii U doesn't run some games at 1080p. I said that at 1080p when docked it's not going to be able to come close to what I can do on my PC. But that it doesn't matter because there will be games on it that aren't on PC and at any point I can undock the thing and continue playing away from the TV

Well the same exact argument can be used against the PS4 and Xbone (including the new more powerful versions of em) as yes, you can build a more powerful PC for similar money but the point still remains, nobody cares that the visuals of a console isn't able to compete against your PC when it would have costed roughly twice as much :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

@Mr.Meerkat

I think you think you're disagreeing with me..... you're not....

Any word on a Switch XL? Ars said something about possibly being 6.5" seems kind of dainty.