Dust Filters

Donut417

Today I cleaned my computer. It needed a good once over. Any way, my filters were kinda clogged bad. I used air to get them as clean as I could. Whats the best technique? Can I wash them with dish soap and let them dry? I just wanted to get them extra clean. Probably didnt help my computer has been sitting on carpet for the past few months. I moved it to the top of of desk. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You can certainly rinse them. Water should be sufficient in removing all the dust - just make sure the water is flowing opposite of the direction the dust was coming in through.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Moist, soft paper towels are really useful. Not too much water and you can easily collect all dust at once.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Im going to try these suggestions next time I clean my filters. I think because of my neglect one of my fans is going. Not sure though. It makes sort of a jet engine sound periodically. Like its spinning up, but having some issues. Im hoping that it just one of my case fans. I dont think its the PSU or CPU fans as they were not caked with that much dust. The filters worked. Im thinking maybe my front fan might be going. It was caked pretty hard core.

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Im going to try these suggestions next time I clean my filters. I think because of my neglect one of my fans is going. Not sure though. It makes sort of a jet engine sound periodically. Like its spinning up, but having some issues. Im hoping that it just one of my case fans. I dont think its the PSU or CPU fans as they were not caked with that much dust. The filters worked. Im thinking maybe my front fan might be going. It was caked pretty hard core.

You should first identify which fan is causing the noise. It sounds like it's responding to an aggressive fan setting. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You should first identify which fan is causing the noise. It sounds like it's responding to an aggressive fan setting. 

Or it could be that the wired to the built in fan controller was unplugged? I dont have any fan settings. Everything just runs at default. 

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Or it could be that the wired to the built in fan controller was unplugged? I dont have any fan settings. Everything just runs at default. 

What do you mean by default? Fans have to be powered from some sort of header. Headers on the motherboard will usually respond to an automatic fan curve or manual setting and other types of headers from the psu or fan controller might run the fan at a static speed.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What do you mean by default? Fans have to be powered from some sort of header. Headers on the motherboard will usually respond to an automatic fan curve or manual setting and other types of headers from the psu or fan controller might run the fan at a static speed.

All my case fans are connected to the built in fan controller on my Fractal Design R4  set to the quiet setting, my CPU Fans, yes with an S. Are connected to the CPU header, however I have an ultra low noise adapter connected to my Noctua NH D-14. When I tested the CPU last max temps over 24 Hours of prime 95 on my i5 3570k stock clock was 70 degrees C. According to Speed fan, my GPU fans run at about 40%. Ive even increased that when I hear the nose and it doesn't seem to be the CPU fan.  The PSU fan had little to no dust, most of it was caught in the filter. 

Now I did notice when I cleaned my case out, that the front panel was loose. I also noticed my fan controller cable was partially unplugged from the switch. I fixed that and I also took my computer from the carpet floor to the top of the desk. So far I haven't heard a peep. So Im wondering if the partially unplugged cable and maybe the metric shit tones of dust on the from filter and fan was causing the issues. 

Im going to continue monitoring the issue. If I hear the noise again. Im going to open my machine up and unplug the front fan from the controller. If it stops, then I know that fan is bad. Ill go ahead and replace it. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

So Im wondering if the partially unplugged cable and maybe the metric shit tones of dust on the from filter and fan was causing the issues. 

A loose connector could result in a fan running at full speed if it gets bumped. 

The psu fan can still be loud even without dust since the speed is usually determined by the load or temps.