Limit wireless speeds

_SNOWMAN_

I pretty much know nothing about routes. I'm trying to limit an SSID. I have people using my wireless and slowing me down. I cant cut them off but want to limit them. I set up an SSID for myself and made it hidden and has a password. I set up a guest SSID also with a password and also Isolate Clients is ticked. How do I actually limit the speed though? I have 15/1 and would like guest to be something like 4/.05...... if its even possible. Any help appreciated.    The route is a Comtrend, NexusLink 3112u  if it helps

me

23 minutes ago, _SNOWMAN_ said:

I pretty much know nothing about routes. I'm trying to limit an SSID. I have people using my wireless and slowing me down. I cant cut them off but want to limit them. I set up an SSID for myself and made it hidden and has a password. I set up a guest SSID also with a password and also Isolate Clients is ticked. How do I actually limit the speed though? I have 15/1 and would like guest to be something like 4/.05...... if its even possible. Any help appreciated.    The route is a Comtrend, NexusLink 3112u  if it helps

That is the worst router ever, but you'll need to use a QoS metod

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

set that network to "wireless B/G only" and your own "special" network to N or AC if you can set that for each SSID seperately with your router - in theory that should limit speeds to 54mbit/s for guest clients - but why would you want to do that ?

21 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

QoS metod

I see QoS in settings but unsure what to do. There is

. QoS Queue

. QoS Policer

. QoS Classification

21 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

but why would you want to do that ?

I'm doing all this to hopefully get the kids to stop using their tablets so much. When I am streaming a movie, I don't need it to stream at 720 because they are watching crap on YouTube and downloading 10 games at once. Besides, they need to be playing. They are 7 years old. They are not my kids and no one but me is paying for the internet.

me

sounds like a discipline problem, not an internet problem. If you want them to STOP using the tablets, nuke them at the gate via MAC address filtering. Easy to spoof, i know, but they are 7 year olds for christ's sake. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to enable the parental controls on the tablets either. If they can figure out how to bypass them, maybe nurture that talent for their future in cyber security.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

sounds like a discipline problem

Exactly. Nothing I can do about that though.

me

1 minute ago, _SNOWMAN_ said:

Nothing I can do about that though.

Not that i want to get into it, but are you the acting father?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

Not that i want to get into it, but are you the acting father?

No. My kid earns any internet time...... but would rather play outside 

me

11 hours ago, _SNOWMAN_ said:

No. My kid earns any internet time...... but would rather play outside 

how about a different approach then: many routers can switch wifi on and off on a timed shedule - you could set it up so the router only enables kids wifi from 5 PM to 6 PM for example - and then all you would need to do is make it clear that thats their "internet time" and it's all they get.

21 hours ago, _SNOWMAN_ said:

I see QoS in settings but unsure what to do. There is

. QoS Queue

. QoS Policer

. QoS Classification

I've done a few things to stop my torrenting roommates from using up all of the bandwidth. One, I set their wifi to the step above 54 Gb/s, while mine was as fast as possible. Second, my QoS settings (Quality of service) were pretty simple. I typed in my mac address then selected "highest." I always get the bandwidth when I need it.

EDIT: For the record, those roommates have since moved out and I've removed all of the QoS settings.