To Tablet or Not To Tablet?

To Tablet or Not To Tablet  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To Tablet or Not To Tablet

• To Tablet
    • Not To Tablet

Hi All! Thank you for even opening my cheesy titled thread. :)

I'm very interested in getting an android tablet for years now. Considered Samsung, Nvidia Shield and China Brands when I was comparing specs, I want power on my tablet. I'll be using it mainly for games and netflix :P

I've been waiting since rumors of the new shield tablet came out around 2014? But I wasn't sold on the product when they released it. I felt it was a step down from the previous version. I'm guessing its the inner cheap in me that prevented me to get it as well :P Now I THINK I'm ready to get a tablet but is it still a good time to get one?

TL;DR: I WANT to buy a tablet, do you guys think its still a good investment at this time? If yes what tablet should I get?

Thanks!

if you are going tablet then consider the ipad pro 9.7 inch but it depends on your budget 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Windows Tablet? For ultimate PC gaming?

Not willing to know what people "not to tablet" suggest?

Anyways, I just added "what would you get if you voted not to tablet" somewhere, while reading.

My answer: good questi! I would go for a desktop! You can do way more with that, and it's upgradable!

I have the Shield K1 and think it is a great gaming tablet, if you're after something for mobile games. It does seem to have a lot of graphical power behind it. Don't think there is anything better in its price range, and don't know what might be higher up if you were to consider that.

Can't comment on Netflix as I don't use it for video.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I honestly can't recommend a tablet. I've just never had that positive of an experience with one. I find that if I want something more portable than a laptop that doesn't need a keyboard, I can just use my phone (given I have a phablet). And if I want a larger screen and a keyboard, I have a laptop for that. Tablets are the middle ground that don't work that well for either thing because they try and be both, IMO.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Well if you've been thinking about it since 2014 then yes probably just buy a tablet lol

Have a look on black friday and cyber monday sales in 6 weeks for a Nvidia Shield K1 or something else

O and I'm not 100% sure but I think the new Xbox one slim  controller hooks up to any device with bluetooth

Some convertibles out there are really nice. With Windows allowing you to have more programs to run. If you want some mobile gaming then an android or ipad will do

I've always been a desktop person, PC Master Race!!! I'm on a desktop right now :) but lately I can't stay in front of my computer than I want to. So I'm also planning to use the tablet to remote to my PC (local network).

I've used my phone Samsung S5 but I find myself wanting more

If the PRIMARY purpose is watching Netflix a LAPTOP with a larger screen would probably be the better option, if you do go tablet DO NOT BUY THOSE CHINA BRANDS, those things are GARBAGE and often times don't even have the proper Play Store on them and the screen resolution sucks so shitty picture for Netflix, just a waste of money all around, I personally am still rocking my Galaxy Tab 2 7", I use the headphone out to run music into the AUX in on my car stereo (and NOTHING ELSE) and thanks to the MASSIVE 4,000 milli-amp hour battery and my typical daily drive (of about an hour) I only have to charge it once every 30-45 DAYS, now if I used it for Netflix it would be constantly getting charged as the screen on it sucks power like crazy.

The thing with mobile gaming (android gaming) is 99.999% of games are designed to run on crappy phones, so while you might not experience stutter like those crap phones get you won't get better graphics then those phones get in android games, the Shield K1 tho can be used to stream over your home wifi games from an Nvidia equipped PC using the power of the PC to render the game and you also get Geforce Now which will give you a console grade experience (for a monthly subscription fee) and access to games specifically developed to take advantage of the BETTER hardware found in the Shield Tablet. So if you want to game on a tablet the Shield tablet is the best for it, but most of the time it still needs help from other sources, because it's still a tablet afterall.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:03 AM, Daniel644 said:

if you do go tablet DO NOT BUY THOSE CHINA BRANDS, those things are GARBAGE and often times don't even have the proper Play Store on them and the screen resolution sucks so shitty picture for Netflix, just a waste of money all around,

It strongly depends on what you buy. Some China ones are really nice. A friend of mine has some 10.1" China brand tablet off eBay that has the proper Play Store and a beautiful 1600p display.

"Rawr XD"

we'll I think I have the answer on why a new version for shield was not released anymore... its in nintendo's new switch!

I've decided(again) ^^ I'm going to wait more lol