NH-D15 close to graphics card

lacasuela

Hi, 

I start building a custom PC with an :

MSI X99A Gaming 7

Noctua NH-D15

MSI 1070 Gaming X

I realize that between the Noctua and the Graphic card there is only space for a piece of paper. 

Otherwise i can't see if they touch them in anyway.. 

I would like you to ask if this is safe or not ? 

I know that i can use the second PCI-E slot but i want to SLI in the future. 

Thanks

img_20161018_003209_30358536956_o.jpg

img_20161018_003221_30308584521_o.jpg

img_20161018_003240_30278162002_o.jpg

img_20161018_003417_30358576066_o.jpg

The metal clip that is used to secure the fans can cause a short on the back of the card but that isn't a problem with a backplate.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't see a problem as long as the fans have some airflow. 

You also have a back plate so you are fine from a short 

it's fine

since you have a backplate, you won't have any chance of a short

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The metal clip that is used to secure the fans can cause a short on the back of the card but that isn't a problem with a backplate.

Even so, the amount of space allowed changes depending on the voltage pumping through. The amount of space there should be fine, even without a back plate. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thanks a lot guys ! 

I like this D15, i'll try to increase a little the amount of space between with some plastic or rubber..  to avoid any possible short

thanks again

1 minute ago, lacasuela said:

Thanks a lot guys ! 

I like this D15, i'll try to increase a little the amount of space between with some plastic or rubber..  to avoid any possible short

thanks again

If you would like some reassurance about it not shorting, I work for a firm that builds military electronics, and we've had wires that were about as close to the chassis as your cooler and graphics card, and they haven't shorted yet, and those wires get 1200V put through. Your graphics card at most has 12V passing through.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you would like some reassurance about it not shorting, I work for a firm that builds military electronics, and we've had wires that were about as close to the chassis as your cooler and graphics card, and they haven't shorted yet, and those wires get 1200V put through. Your graphics card at most has 12V passing through.

Ok i got it !

thanks for your time.

I'm using the same motherboard and graphics card, and my Dark Rock Pro 3 is about 10mm from the card.  Your Noctua is a hell of a lot closer though, that's a good way to fill up a large case. 

The cooler usually hangs a little due to its weight.  If you are worried about the lack of space (which you shouldn't be), find some way to pull the cooler up just a little.  In my previous case I had 2 holes in the top of the chassis and had a bicycle gear cable run down from the top, through the fins, underneath the heatpipes and then up again through the other hole, where it was fixed by clamping the end of the cable. 

To find out if (or how much) you can pull the cooler up, just lay the case on its side (motherboard-side down, so that the cooler is pointing straight up) and check the position of the cooler in that orientation.

Whatever you do, don't put rubber or anything between the cooler and card, as you'll only be pushing the card down and putting pressure on the PCI-E slot.

EDIT : Hang on ... are those photos taken with the case laying flat already?  In that case the cooler might hit the card's backplate once it's upright.  Do look into methods to pull the cooler up just a little.

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

EDIT : Hang on ... are those photos taken with the case laying flat already?  In that case the cooler might hit the card's backplate once it's upright.  Do look into methods to pull the cooler up just a little.

Hi Captain Caos.... i took two new pictures with the case in normal position.

In this picture the graphic card it is not 100% plugged into the slot. I didn't clip it yet either because it's very very difficult to unleash the clip due to the sizes of the D15 & the graphic card even worse the PCI-E clip is in the middle of the D15

As you can see, the card hang a little, there is 2-3mm more room between them, and they dont touch it. 

This card it's very heavy.. the rear drop down a few millimeters.

I'll try tomorrow, power on.. i'm still waiting for my RAM

Thanks for your ideas

img_20161018_231938_29782987633_o.jpg

img_20161019_000437_30379281226_o.jpg

Ah, those photos paint a different picture, now I can see that there is a couple mm between them. 

From the earlier photos I gathered that the gap was about a quarter of what it actually is.

Nothing to worry about, although I would be careful when moving the PC about. 

As for the PCI-E clip, I'm afraid you'll need to resort to a piece of aluminium (apologies to the Americans for using the correct spelling) covered with some tape (to prevent scratching the motherboard if you do slide off the clip).  It's textured so you should be fine as long as you're careful.

I used a long flathead screwdriver (with the entire steel part covered in electrical tape) to un-clip my old 770s when I installed the 1070.  But I do have quite a bit more room.

DRP3_MSI1070_Gaming7.jpg 

Sorry about the dust, I haven't blown the dust out of it since ... April or May.

Out of curiosity, what CPU do you have in there and what OC are you aiming at?  Considering that the DRP3 keeps my 5930K below 75°C at 4.5GHz, that Noctua should be able to allow for some serious overclocks if you get somewhat lucky with the silicon lottery.

It's an i7-6800K. I wasn't thinking in OC actually, instead the fact is thats it's gonna be my personal machine for the next 3-5years. I make 3D rendering and thats consume a lot of CPU, i cant imagine 2y from now. 

There is althougth some fancy software like Lumion, that use the GPU based on gaming technology. So i'll do OC a little... Yes

thanks for the advice.. i'ill take care of that metal piece of aluminium cover with plastic.

And don't worry about the dust.. Mine still brand new

this is the 24h later noctua support reply to my initial post that i'd send them by mail before.

No comments

Dear (myname),
to be honest: What is the problem now? It fits, therefore we wrote it fits.
Kind regards,Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
(they)
Noctua support team

Noctua - geräuschoptimierte Premium Komponenten
Noctua - sound-optimised premium components
E: support@noctua.at
W: http://www.noctua.at

10 hours ago, lacasuela said:

It's an i7-6800K. I wasn't thinking in OC actually, instead the fact is thats it's gonna be my personal machine for the next 3-5years. I make 3D rendering and thats consume a lot of CPU, i cant imagine 2y from now. 

There is althougth some fancy software like Lumion, that use the GPU based on gaming technology. So i'll do OC a little... Yes

That seems like a good reason to oc--I don't see why you wouldn't.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It has a backplate, therefore you should be fine. Just watch for it sagging over time, if it starts touching then you might have to do something about it.

• 10 months later...

some time later.. the noctua blend it self by its weight it's a fact.

So with the GC that close when the deformation became visible

it cause somehow a short circuit because the pc begin to restart randomly .

the solution to the blend by noctua was to pull "manually' the hole thing to the original position. weird but it works.. next time i'll pick something smaller