LEDs or Nah?

byalexandr

What should I upgrade?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What should I upgrade (if at all)?

• White CableMod LED strips
    • White sleeved extensions (at least on the 24 pin and 8-pin PCI-E)
    • White fan on the 212 EVO (and probably paint the top heat fin black so it's not an eye sore)
    • Hey, that's pretty good (leave it alone)

I just finished building in my Define Nano S, and it looks like this right now:

DSC_0167.jpg

But idk if I want an LED strip or not. So I'll let you guys decide. I feel like I should get some sleeved extensions first, I mean the cable management isn't bad at all it's just that it's the stock black cables. If I do get LED strips then I will probably get some CableMod Wide Beam White LED strips, since they run on SATA and I hear they're pretty nice. But they are $20 a pop so I want to make sure I really want them, or if I should upgrade something else first.

I'm going for a black and white theme btw, that's why I want white extensions and white fan blades and LEDs and such.

If you have a window, I'd say why not? LED strips sip power and add a bit of cool factor to the case. But it also depends on where the case is going to live. You might not like having a light off to the side if you're doing stuff with the room lights out. Or in that case, make sure your LED strip has a switch.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I'm going for a black and white theme btw, that's why I want white extensions and white fan blades and LEDs and such.

NZXT Hue+ would look fantastic in there. As for your cables, what PSU do you have?

Also, why not go with the CRYORIG C7?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you have a window, I'd say why not? LED strips sip power and add a bit of cool factor to the case. But it also depends on where the case is going to live. You might not like having a light off to the side if you're doing stuff with the room lights out. Or in that case, make sure your LED strip has a switch.

I had some cheap ones in my previous case (N200) and it looked pretty nice, but it really highlighted the regular old PSU cables. I feel like it would look a lot nicer with individually sleeved extensions. Plus I have my PC in my room, and it's on while I sleep so it does get a bit annoying at times but at the same time it's like a nice ambient light.

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

NZXT Hue+ would look fantastic in there. As for your cables, what PSU do you have?

Also, why not go with the CRYORIG C7?

Hue+ is way too expensive. I was debating whether or not the CableMod Wide Beam strips were worth the $20 that they are. My PSU is an EVGA BQ 650W. I was thinking of just getting extensions instead of a full cable set. Just a 24-pin and the GPU's 8-pin are all that are really visible. The EPS 4-pin is hidden by the gigantic 212 EVO.

And I didn't get a C7 because it doesn't fit on my particular board (the caps and stuff are in the way of the socket). I was going to get the Cryorig H7 actually, but I figured the 212 EVO would look nice as well once I painted it and put a nicer fan on it.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Hue+ is way too expensive. I was debating whether or not the CableMod Wide Beam strips were worth the $20 that they are. My PSU is an EVGA BQ 650W. I was thinking of just getting extensions instead of a full cable set. Just a 24-pin and the GPU's 8-pin are all that are really visible. The EPS 4-pin is hidden by the gigantic 212 EVO.

And I didn't get a C7 because it doesn't fit on my particular board (the caps and stuff are in the way of the socket). I was going to get the Cryorig H7 actually, but I figured the 212 EVO would look nice as well once I painted it and put a nicer fan on it.

Ah, that would explain it. 

as for the Hue+, I think it is worth it, but my case is significantly larger. If you don't want RGB, then white LEDs would look great. 

Can I ask for the rest of your specs?

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

Ah, that would explain it. 

as for the Hue+, I think it is worth it, but my case is significantly larger. If you don't want RGB, then white LEDs would look great. 

Can I ask for the rest of your specs?

Yeah I don't want RGB, just white is plenty for me.

Specs:

i5 4570

Hyper 212 EVO

AsRock B85M-ITX

AData Premier Pro 16GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Define Nano S

EVGA BQ 650W

I was also thinking of either buying or just making some RAM heat spreaders since my RAM is just plain old green PCB stuff.

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah I don't want RGB, just white is plenty for me.

Specs:

i5 4570

Hyper 212 EVO

AsRock B85M-ITX

AData Premier Pro 16GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Define Nano S

EVGA BQ 650W

I was also thinking of either buying or just making some RAM heat spreaders since my RAM is just plain old green PCB stuff.

unfortunately, DDR3 did not have a whole lot of LED RAM. 

However, if you plan on making heat spreaders, there is no reason you could not get slim LED strips to go on top of the RAM PCB. (You'd need to get power from another source). 

As for lighting, you could just get white LED fans, rather than dealing with custom strips and controllers. 

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

unfortunately, DDR3 did not have a whole lot of LED RAM. 

However, if you plan on making heat spreaders, there is no reason you could not get slim LED strips to go on top of the RAM PCB. (You'd need to get power from another source). 

As for lighting, you could just get white LED fans, rather than dealing with custom strips and controllers. 

I don't like LED fans very much. As for the RAM, I would probably just make some simple black heat spreaders just to hide the green PCB.

I think LEDs are great, but you might start with some custom cable extensions. Plus when you add LEDs later, the white cables will light up nicely. I highly recommend Ensourced Customs because you can hand pick your cable mods. Check out their instagram, they have done some pretty cool patterns that you might not have considered. Again, I love this build. It's clean and i'm a sucker for a black and white build.

On 10/17/2016 at 11:25 PM, byalexandr said:

DSC_0167.jpg

But idk if I want an LED strip or not. So I'll let you guys decide. I feel like I should get some sleeved extensions first, I mean the cable management isn't bad at all it's just that it's the stock black cables. If I do get LED strips then I will probably get some CableMod Wide Beam White LED strips, since they run on SATA and I hear they're pretty nice. But they are $20 a pop so I want to make sure I really want them, or if I should upgrade something else first.

hit me up if you want both our LED Strips and Custom Extensions (https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/)

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:28 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

What activities do you think he will be doing " with the room lights out"? hmmmmm?

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:25 AM, byalexandr said:

From my personal experience I have found that neutral colors on rigs can be extremely flexible when it comes to appeal. The good thing about black/ white/ gray is there is no standard color code that you have to abide by, so you can run any color LED without throwing off the ambiance. I basically have a black and white setup also but have a red LED strip and Blue LED fans. If anything you can just get a little toggle switch or the kits that come with it, if not, what I did was I took a Fan to Molex adapter, stripped my LED wires, took the pins off the wires from the molex pins, pronged the LED wires into the molex pins and clicked it back in. if you don't want to spend a ton of money on LED's and just want something you can test out too see if it's cliche I suggest you try what I did. I think LED's are a compliment to a person's build, and you sir have a pretty impressive one.

17 minutes ago, CaptainSav916 said:

What activities do you think he will be doing " with the room lights out"? hmmmmm?

Sleeping perhaps?

7 hours ago, CaptainSav916 said:

Does the company sell cable combs?

we sure do sell cable combs - you can find them on our page.