60s Inspired PC case

Hi I'm building a new PC case for my A-level (Resistant materials) technology project, the case will unfortunately house a small BTX board (But will have dual compatibility with mATX). Anyways this case will be themed by the 60s era I have a few ideas and I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas? and feedback on my ideas?  I've put in a picture of a design idea ill put up some sketches and some 3D files if there is any interest.

Many thanks folks!

60sCase.jpg

looks pretty good, make sure to get a real nice shine to the wood, otherwise it will look strange

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Looked at g00gle images for some 1960's tv's...

dacf198ac0e6cceaaba82b41e599a262.jpg

cc11ec1d5cb3d3e32d1e416cca4e80cd.jpg

rca_21CT55.jpg

Maybe place the mobo sideways, place the case sideways, and get some kind of window on the side? Maybe build some audio (volume) controlls, copper/brass ofcourse? Maybe build in some speakers inside the case?

Found another funky design, which you might adapt... (and a good reason to start following your topic, because I forgot to check the "notify me of replies")

kuba-future.jpg

With the last one, me thinks of build-in curved monitor, with nice fitting windows wallpaper, modified front side 5,25" external fan controler, build in speakers, blue ray drive with removed casing (behind glass due to dust build up) and DVD player (again, removed case/custom mountings)

Thanks for the replies so far the volume knobs and such on the TVs is something I really want to incorporate into my design, I had thought about a fan controller being used already and I've got one in the post! I think i might end up 3D printing some knobs for it, but a brass coloured paint sounds good.

You might also want to google for "steampunk computer". That genre has also lots of (useless) knobs and brass coloured things.

I like the speaker grill on the TV as a fan grill, that's what I've found on my research previously but the first one posted is pretty much exactly what mesh style I want.

1 minute ago, Arobass said:

I like the speaker grill on the TV as a fan grill, that's what I've found on my research previously but the first one posted is pretty much exactly what mesh style I want.

If you are going to put fans behind a mesh screen like that, make sure your fans have enough push/pull power... A mesh like that will hinder your fans performance alot... Also, I used some filters on my (custom) air inlet ports... Like vacuüm cleaners >>> lots of dust buildup on the side. Make sure it will be easy to clean/replace.

Yeah that's true I think a more open mesh would probably be better despite maybe not looking as nice with a removable fan filter behind.

Just now, Arobass said:

Yeah that's true I think a more open mesh would probably be better despite maybe not looking as nice with a removable fan filter behind.

Or put speakers behind the mesh... :P That will work, it has worked in the 1960's. That way, you can go for looks and functionality. And some brass knobs to turn them on/off ofcourse.

The spec I'm writing requires 3 front fans  so provided there isn't too much obstruction the airflow should be fine. I may put some speakers, that would certainly be cool its just weather my budget can stretch to that, I'm running on a pretty tight budget! 

Just if you were wondering...

System spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo q6600 clocked@3ghz on a... Dell optiplex 775 BTX Mobo :'(

4(Possibly 8 in the future)gb DDR2 RAM

GTX 650 2gb

750w psu (All I had laying around I know its overkill)

80gb xD HDD

Your project isn't about the computer internals/speeds, but about the looks/build quality and materials used, right? Sooo...

Add some plastic foil to the mesh, so no air can get through. Place the fans +/- 3 cm's from the (blocked) mesh, and put a 3 cm wide "air slot" in front/below the fans. That way, you keep the looks, maintain the fan function, and keep it all dust free.

Seen a lot of old radio's been used for casemodding. Can look really cool, even seen a Fallout theme as well. Think space and weight wise the radio's are more suitable then the televisions. And the come in all sizes, and should be cheaper as well. Perhaps look at a local drift shop if they got some. But heat is going to be a serious problem if not adressed properly. Anyway good luck, im curious about the final result.

I'll post a design spec up soon its important that the cooling is optimal in this case as it is designed to be a quiet system that is still usable, as it is though it runs some modern games on medium settings its might run into thermal issues, this would be a problem because the fan speed on the CPU and GPU heat sink fans would increase and then it would be very loud, also a 3ghz over clock on a dell board needs to be nice and cool because the dell board is well.. dell. But the system cost like £30 ($37) so... 

The idea of side slots like fractal/corsair/inwin etc is a good idea but I'm not sure what design I'm going to go with just yet.

I did think of a radio type design, my research lead me to believe that people in my target audience (art and media folk) would prefer an under desk PC due to living in apartments or just wanting to save desk space for drawing.

The design needs to have elements of the 60s but must still be reasonably modern, I'd like any ideas for designs of logos or embellishments from the 60s that would really help me. Thanks for the input so far! xD 

I agree @ desk space. However... You are creating something which could be considered "art". Hiding art below a desk would be a shame. Maybe you can think about this.

Thermal problems: each computer era had it's own performance, and heat issues. A AMD K6 with 300 mhz (?) could also run very hot, but performance is considered 100% junk these days. If you keep usefull hardware mounting points for hardware, and if you keep a good airflow, you should not worry to much about the performance of the hardware. You are mainly building a case, it's up to the people who buy the case, to put things inside it. So I would only really be worried with thermal performance, and maybe radiator mounting points. You don't have to add radiators, but the option to mount them would be great.

Back to hiding the case below the desk... Think out of the box. What if your computer case could also function as a desk? Some of the older radios could also be used as a side table, or a liquor cabinet.

That's exactly the point! I'm glad we're on the same wavelength, the design at the top is designed to function as a side table type thing as well so it could go beside your desk or even beside a chair.

I was thinking about putting a veneer on the top and creating a pattern with it like an inlay pattern but just in veneer.

this i want to see done! FWIW 775 MOBOs are still fairly easy and cheap to find, it may be worth upgrading from the Dell board so you at least have options on coolers, i found out the hard way a 775 socket CPU cooler will NOT just slap onto a Dell mobo, if theres a chance the inside will ever be seen a giant passive cooler would match into the retro vibe well IMO

• 2 weeks later...

The cooler doesn't seem to be an issue and you won't see the internals of this PC, this is a long term project as its part of my qualification but I'll definitely post some pictures when the product is done, thanks for the support! (The dell heatsink is actually quite big!?! big copper plate aliminium block and then aluminium fins with copper heat pipes)

Trying to keep costs down too! (spent £35 so far -$44USD on components -I had some laying around though and some for free/favours!) 

Copper would sound like a nice colour, for when you open her up. Do you have some pics, of this Dell CPU cooler? Me is interested in Dell crap.

It's pretty ugly tbh but here it is, not my picture found it on the interet

1500Large-18.jpg