Is a blue setup harmful?

Crypt1c

So its well known that the blue light from screens are more harmful to your eyes than others. Does the same thing applies to lights from things like your keyboard? 

@dexxterlab97 are you blind yet?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

not more then your monitor, or your phone, or the sun or almost anything blue

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You must be trolling or something.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Nope. If anything, dim-ish blue lighting is good when you use monitor in dark environment. It stresses eyes much less than other colored lights, except warm white or pale yellow.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you use your computer at night/in the dark, avoid blue light. its not dangerous to your eyes, but it messes with your melatonin levels and can cause sleep issues.

https://justgetflux.com can help  with reducing blue light from your monitor. you can also get glasses that block blue light.

What is this topic??

6 hours ago, Crypt1c said:

So its well known that the blue light from screens are more harmful to your eyes than others. Does the same thing applies to lights from things like your keyboard? 

Blue light in general is bad for sleep, but computer screens in general are the worst offender. Blue keyboard lighting isn't quite as bad ( there just isn't as much light), and you also aren't constantly looking at it. Generally it is best to avoid computers from 2 hours before you go to sleep (but I can't say I do that personaly). However, using a utility like f.lux will remove most of that blue light for you. Anyway, if you can change or lower the blue of the keyboard it will probably help, but probably won't make a huge difference

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

6 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

@dexxterlab97 are you blind yet?

No

11 minutes ago, Quinnbeast said:

Citation needed.

I'll give you a citation Ms. English Teacher :P

"Really? Using a Computer Before Bed Can Disrupt Sleep." The New York Times, New York Times, 12

Sept. 2012, well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/

really-using-a-computer-before-bed-can-disrupt-sleep/?_r=0. Accessed 17 Oct. 2016.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/really-using-a-computer-before-bed-can-disrupt-sleep/?_r=0

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

34 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Thanks.

I've previously read a fair bit (mostly via New Scientist) on the subject of external factors that can interrupt natural sleep patterns, but the OP merely said they were "harmful to your eyes" which is a bit vague. Hence my confusion.

The first link mentions artificial light in the general context of interrupting the circadian cycle, with blue light being the worst offender. But it also mentions simply working night shifts or being a night owl in the same way, and that exposure to light of any sort is disruptive to your sleep (and overall well-being) if used at the wrong times. It also neglects to link any sort of reference despite their being "study after study", which is a bit of shame.

The second link appears to be an advert for Gunnar eyewear. Also devoid of any original references.

TL;DR I'm unsure is "harmful" is the same thing as more likely to be disruptive to sleeping patterns if used late at night.

Well, there is a lot of concern about actual damage being done to the eyes, but that's still not proven.  Eye fatigue and pain is a well known effect of too much blue light exposure though.

As for the second link, it is true that Gunnar is being mentioned twice, but they also mention (and link to) 2 apps that filter out blue light.  Also, it's still an article from the Washington State University so they'd have to mention if it is in fact paid for by Gunnar. 

The single most potent source of blue light is the sun, so I assume you mean artificial blue light (when used extensively). I'm pretty sure being outside all day doesn't give eye fatigue and pain (unless you're looking at the sun - lolz). So, this pretty much comes back to excessive use of electronic screens in general.

If blue light negatively impacts your sleeping cycle at night, it's fair to assume it's just as important to promote wakefulness and positive mood during the day. Also, I didn't mean that your link WSU was literally an advert, but without any medical/scientific reference the information cannot be confirmed. So, all that's left is a recommendation for some apps and glasses.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19822-feeling-blue-try-a-dose-of-blue-light/

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/blue-light.htm

The 2nd link does of course highlight some of the concerns you mention, but also points out that research isn't conclusive; and it quite rightly highlights why blue light is also vital for your health at the the correct time of day.

It's well documented that some blue light exposure is essential for good health. Research has shown that high-energy visible light boosts alertness, helps memory and cognitive function and elevates mood.

In fact, something called light therapy is used to treat seasonal affective disorder (SAD) — a type of depression that's related to changes in seasons, with symptoms usually beginning in the fall and continuing through winter. The light sources for this therapy emit bright white light that contains a significant amount of HEV blue light rays.

Also, blue light is very important in regulating circadian rhythm — the body's natural wakefulness and sleep cycle. Exposure to blue light during daytime hours helps maintain a healthful circadian rhythm. But too much blue light late at night (reading a novel on a tablet computer or e-reader at bedtime, for example) can disrupt this cycle, potentially causing sleepless nights and daytime fatigue.

Still, the OP was asking about keyboard LEDS. So, getting back to the topic at hand - I'm fairly sure blue keyboard lights aren't going to screw up your eyes, unless your keyboard is tied to your face all night every night. This of course will also obstruct your vision somewhat anyway.

Keyboard lights are not very bright and should not affect you eyes that much, Things like monitors or phones with brighter screens or are closer to your face will.

Blue light isn't harmful, it just is what we recognise as daylight. 

If you're not getting enough sleep, turning off bluelight or removing it from the visible spectrum on show from your monitor can help, but it isn't "harmful."

the harm from blue light isn't "harming your eyes"
its more that blue wavelengths can throw the chemicals in the body/brain meaning that sleep can be disrupted

it's why they use things like blue lights in places close to the poles, to combat S.A.D. (seasonal affected depression) where in the winter months the lack of sunshine leads to depression

and the reverse is true, too much blue light gets the body all geared up (because it thinks there is sunshine) to not sleep, because it thinks the sun is up

if it is eye strain harm you want to reduce, soft lighting filling the space behind a monitor
it your worried about the lights on your keyboard, dont, unless you have trouble sleeping, and the computer is in your room, kill the blue lights, it can affect more than you might think,)

also dont listen to people that post things like this

"Nope. If anything, dim-ish blue lighting is good when you use monitor in dark environment. It stresses eyes much less than other colored lights, except warm white or pale yellow." 

because it isn't true, and is laughable 
(fyi, warm white/pale yellow is obtained by REMOVING the blue spectrum, and the best light to reduce eye strain is red (not for reading etc, but for giving vision to thing without causes eye strain) that's part of the reason it is used in many darkened environments (that and you dont ruin your night vision going from dark, to a red light lit room, where green or blue (and mixes of all three) will 

So it's well known that cats are efficient predators. Does that mean that if I adopt a kitten my life will be in danger? 

It's also well known that overreacting causes paranoia. Does that mean that if I make a mountain out of a molehill, I'll end up in a mental institution? 

no not that I know of. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Dexxterlab97 Where are you?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

What is wrong with everybody? Why blue?

Do you constantly stare at your keyboard, if not then no, heck even staring at blue light from modern leds won't do anything worse than eye strain

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Jonh Same said:

Shouldn't be.

And as far as I know, the blue light just keeps you awake, I don't remember hearing that it causes any actual damage. If it does, I'm screwed, my keyboard is blue, my usb hub has a blue led on it, my taskbar is blue, my gpu glows blue, and plenty more xD

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W