Question: More, Shorter Heat Pipes vs. Less, Longer Heat Pipes

Respawnuo

Hey there! I was wondering to anyone reading this (if anyone at all) knew what was better. More heatpipes that are shorter or less heatpipes that are longer.

7 minutes ago, Respawnuo said:

Hey there! I was wondering to anyone reading this (if anyone at all) knew what was better. More heatpipes that are shorter or less heatpipes that are longer.

In what context? CPU coolers, GPU coolers, what?

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

1 minute ago, Thorimus said:

In what context? CPU coolers, GPU coolers, what?

CPU coolers. To be more specific I game mostly and when I don't do that i'm doing some form of distributed computing.

I don't understand how longer heat pipes would ever be an advantage other than allowing easier ram clearance. More heat pipes, however, is pretty much always better assuming they are good quality heat pipes not some Chinese crap.

Thats a real difficult question where the theoretical answer is not always applying to the reality and also depends on size of area needed to cool. So sorry to say, but this an overall not usable question for you. You can better ask what is a decent aircooler for a decent price that fits by my requirements and needs. One of the very best coolers currently on the market is the Scythe Fuma: trading blows with the top air coolers like from Noctua, but at a very good pricepoint and also sillent operation at these results.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

6 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

I don't understand how longer heat pipes would ever be an advantage other than allowing easier ram clearance. More heat pipes, however, is pretty much always better assuming they are good quality heat pipes not some Chinese crap.

2 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Thats a real difficult question where the theoretical answer is not always applying to the reality and also depends on size of area needed to cool. So sorry to say, but this an overall not usable question for you. You can better ask what is a decent aircooler for a decent price that fits by my requirements and needs. One of the very best coolers currently on the market is the Scythe Fuma: trading blows with the top air coolers like from Noctua, but at a very good pricepoint and also sillent operation at these results.

So pretty much just quality matters and if applicable more heat pipes. Thanks for the help guys!

1 minute ago, Respawnuo said:

So pretty much just quality matters and if applicable more heat pipes. Thanks for the help guys!

Yep. That's about right. What's your price range?

1 minute ago, ryan27968 said:

Yep. That's about right. What's your price range?

About $50 USD but i'm willing to go a little higher or lower depending on value/performance. Probably going to get one on Cyber Monday or Black Friday for the holidays.

About $50 USD but i'm willing to go a little higher or lower depending on value/performance. Probably going to get one on Cyber Monday or Black Friday for the holidays.

In that case the Scythe Fuma at a bit over $50 is a good bet. Otherwise the good old Hyper 212 EVO.

3 hours ago, Respawnuo said:

A Sytche Fuma. Also the amount of heatpipes doesn't always equal performance. The Fuma is a great example. Its capable of beating a Noctua D15 which is taller and has more heatpipes.

Thanks for the info guys! If it's not much more trouble, how would something like this  Cooler Master fan compare to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ?

Those high-end cooler master heatsinks are generally all flash with not amazing cooling or silence. Take for example the V8, it looks really cool but is louder than the stock intel cooler and cools about the same as the Hyper 212 EVO. Generally, CM's cheaper units are excellent value though. Want sex appeal and amazing cooling and quiet performance? BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is the sexiest unit in existence IMHO and cools pretty close to the Noctua's and is similar is noise too. It's just a pain to install unfortunately.

3 hours ago, ryan27968 said:

Those high-end cooler master heatsinks are generally all flash with not amazing cooling or silence. Take for example the V8, it looks really cool but is louder than the stock intel cooler and cools about the same as the Hyper 212 EVO. Generally, CM's cheaper units are excellent value though. Want sex appeal and amazing cooling and quiet performance? BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is the sexiest unit in existence IMHO and cools pretty close to the Noctua's and is similar is noise too. It's just a pain to install unfortunately.

Although the MasterAir closely resembles the V8 in aesthetics, it isn't nearly as loud but instead pretty quiet due to the included Silencio FP fans. 

In terms of performance, the MasterAir is pretty similar to the NH-D14 but I'm not seeing how it's retaiing at $50 or less anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Respawnuo said:

Prices change pretty frequently and there are many similar coolers with shifting prices. 

It would be best to ask for recommendations when you're ready to buy. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.