Filter set recommendations

cc143

I've recently been trying to capture landscapes, something I never intensively did before, so I have no filters, (apart from UV filters on my lenses.) 

I am familiar with what ND and circular polisers do, but have no idea what to buy and what sort of money I should be looking to drop on them. 

I require something that is made of glass, and preferably with a variable thread size for the ND filters, although my lens I mostly use for landscapes is the EF 17-40mm which has a 77mm thread, however it would be nice if I could get a set that would work on my 58mm threaded nifty fifty as well. 

Any recommendations? Anything in particular I should look for? 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

42 minutes ago, cc143 said:

For landscape photography it is better to get slot in ND filters rather then screw on.  This way you can adjust the level of the gradient point of ND grad filters.  There are CPL filters that can screw on the front of slot in filter holders.

120815_8985_dancarr.jpg

landscape-polariser-02.jpg

For the thread size of the primary adapter ring, get something like 77mm or 82mm.  And then use step up rings for lenses with smaller filter threads.  You can find step up rings on EBay for $1-2 each.  So if I have my primary adapter at 77mm size, I buy step up rings that are 52-77, 55-77, 62-77, 67-77, 72-77.  Avoid going 55-62 + 62+72 + 72-77, this is too many layers of step up rings.

You're looking to spend around $500 on a nice set.  Plastic filters are cheaper with glass being more expensive.  I recommend getting 2-stop and 3-stop ND hard edge grad and soft edge grad, perhaps a 2 or 3-stop reverse edge ND grad, a 5-stop and 10-stop full ND filter and a CPL.  I don't really find myself using 1-stop ND/Grads as much as I use the other 2, 3, 5, 10 stop filters.

The thickness of slot in filters are generally similar between various brands, and usually also the width and length.  So for example, you can buy a LEE or HiTech-Formatt filter holder kit and buy LEE, Singh-Ray, HiTech-Formatt, Hoya, etc. brand filters.

Alternatively, aside from using a physical CPL filter, instead of using ND filters you can consider bracketing exposures in your shot and in post merge the differently exposed frames using various HDR techniques.  However, there are times when nothing can substitute a physical filter.

For example, this scenario:

You want to take a long exposure shot in outdoors daylight.  You have two options available:

1. Use something like a 10-stop or more ND filter
  2. Step down the aperture to something like f/22

Both techniques will help you achieve long exposures, but the images that will have different looks.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

28 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

For landscape photography it is better to get slot in ND filters rather then screw on.  This way you can adjust the level of the gradient point of ND grad filters.  There are CPL filters that can screw on the front of slot in filter holders.

120815_8985_dancarr.jpg

landscape-polariser-02.jpg

For the thread size of the primary adapter ring, get something like 77mm or 82mm.  And then use step up rings for lenses with smaller filter threads.  You can find step up rings on EBay for $1-2 each.  So if I have my primary adapter at 77mm size, I buy step up rings that are 52-77, 55-77, 62-77, 67-77, 72-77.  Avoid going 55-62 + 62+72 + 72-77, this is too many layers of step up rings.

You're looking to spend around $500 on a nice set.  Plastic filters are cheaper with glass being more expensive.  I recommend getting 2-stop and 3-stop ND hard edge grad and soft edge grad, perhaps a 2 or 3-stop reverse edge ND grad, a 5-stop and 10-stop full ND filter and a CPL.  I don't really find myself using 1-stop ND/Grads as much as I use the other 2, 3, 5, 10 stop filters.

The thickness of slot in filters are generally similar between various brands, and usually also the width and length.  So for example, you can buy a LEE or HiTech-Formatt filter holder kit and buy LEE, Singh-Ray, HiTech-Formatt, Hoya, etc. brand filters.

Alternatively, aside from using a physical CPL filter, instead of using ND filters you can consider bracketing exposures in your shot and in post merge the differently exposed frames using various HDR techniques.  However, there are times when nothing can substitute a physical filter.

For example, this scenario:

You want to take a long exposure shot in outdoors daylight.  You have two options available:

1. Use something like a 10-stop or more ND filter
  2. Step down the aperture to something like f/22

Both techniques will help you achieve long exposures, but the images that will have different looks.

That is somewhat what I had in mind to begin with, although $500 is way too much above my budget, I'm looking for something that's bang for the buck so to speak, i.e. offers a good price to performance ratio. 

Those are the scenarios I am mostly considering, and there are cases where a f22 aperture will still not allow for a proper long exposure, which is why I am considering investing in some filters.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

Screw on ND filters are fine, as long as they are uniform NDs.  You wouldn't want to use a screw on gradient ND filter since the center of the gradient would be right in the middle and wouldn't allow you the flexibility to move it up or down to adjust for the landscape being photographed.  Hoya makes good filters and you can also check out Cokin as another brand for cheap slot in filters.  Just think about whether you would be using a 10-stop ND filter more often or gradient filters for landscape photography.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Have you seen the Cokin filter sets? They are very affordable. I have no idea on how they perform though but they seems to be quite affordable and maybe is a nice start to get into it before dropping 500-1000us for different filters. I have been considering getting one of those kits myself as now I only have a "Haida" filter which sounds kinda sketchy but I was surprised with the quality of it (since it only cost 20us). It works pretty good unless you get a lot of sun flares, then it isnt as nice to use. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

5 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Have you seen the Cokin filter sets? They are very affordable. I have no idea on how they perform though but they seems to be quite affordable and maybe is a nice start to get into it before dropping 500-1000us for different filters. I have been considering getting one of those kits myself as now I only have a "Haida" filter which sounds kinda sketchy but I was surprised with the quality of it (since it only cost 20us). It works pretty good unless you get a lot of sun flares, then it isnt as nice to use. 

Cokin makes nice filter kits, the Cokin A series is like the "introduction to slot in filters" and designed for lenses with filter sizes max 62mm, the P series are better suited for wide angle lenses and larger lenses.  Then there is the Z series for more serious work and the width of the filter holder is compatible with other 100mm x 100mm-150mm-200mm slot in filters from other brands.

@cc143

You can get starter kits from Lee, Cokin, etc.  Here's something I found on CVP.  A Lee starter kit which includes 1x 0.6 (2-stop) ND filter and 1x 0.6 (2-stop hard edge ND grad) filter, the holder system and filter bag.

https://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/lee_filters_dslrsk_slr_starter_kit&sourceRef=int%3Asuggest&userInput=Lee kit

Once you get the starter kit like this, you can expand your collection of filters.  The Lee filter holder system is compatible with other 100mm wide filters from various brands, just like how the Cokin Z system filter holder would be compatible with other filters or the Formatt HiTech holder would be compatible with other filters.

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/filters/

I'd get a 100m x 100mm ND and for the grads I'd invest in 100mm x 150mm sizes minimum.

4 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

@cc143

You can get starter kits from Lee, Cokin, etc.  Here's something I found on CVP.  A Lee starter kit which includes 1x 0.6 (2-stop) ND filter and 1x 0.6 (2-stop hard edge ND grad) filter, the holder system and filter bag.

https://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/lee_filters_dslrsk_slr_starter_kit&sourceRef=int%3Asuggest&userInput=Lee kit

Once you get the starter kit like this, you can expand your collection of filters.  The Lee filter holder system is compatible with other 100mm wide filters from various brands, just like how the Cokin Z system filter holder would be compatible with other filters or the Formatt HiTech holder would be compatible with other filters.

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/filters/

I'd get a 100m x 100mm ND and for the grads I'd invest in 100mm x 150mm sizes minimum.

Can that be done with the same holder, or do you need a different one for both dimensions. 

Do you think it would be a waste to buy a cheap £15 set to check it out or should I just skip that and go for a good kit from the start? 

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

Can that be done with the same holder, or do you need a different one for both dimensions. 

Do you think it would be a waste to buy a cheap £15 set to check it out or should I just skip that and go for a good kit from the start? 

The filter holders are only gripping the filters on the sides, the top and bottom are open so that you can slide the filters up and down as necessary.  Or left to write if you rotate the filter holder 90 degrees, the filter holder can rotate about the adapter ring.

Cokin Z, Lee and Formatt-Holders for the 100mm system will accept any filter as long as they are 100mm wide and 2-3mm thick.  The length of the filter doesn't matter, pure ND filters for these systems are usually 100mm x 100mm, while grad filters range from 100mm x 150mm to 200mm in length.

Apart from the specific Nikon model, this guy has the same gear I have.  The tripod head, the L bracket, lens...

It is my understanding then that I shouldn't skimp out on the filter holders since they are the component likely to have the most longevity. 

Are there any permanent £50-60 solutions that are not exceedingly crap I could get for the time being until I get hooked and shell out £400 for a proper set? I would prefer glass, but if that's not a possibility then...

41 minutes ago, cc143 said:

It is my understanding then that I shouldn't skimp out on the filter holders since they are the component likely to have the most longevity. 

Are there any permanent £50-60 solutions that are not exceedingly crap I could get for the time being until I get hooked and shell out £400 for a proper set? I would prefer glass, but if that's not a possibility then...

You can get the Formatt-HiTech resin filters, they are cheaper than glass and perform reasonably well.  The Formatt-Hitech filter holder is just as good as the Lee holder though I think the Lee holder might be a bit more secure attaching to the adapter ring.  I didn't see them listed on CVP but they are listed on their site.  I recommend getting the 100mm system because it will be easier to evolve.

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/nd-starter-kit

47 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You can get the Formatt-HiTech resin filters, they are cheaper than glass and perform reasonably well.  The Formatt-Hitech filter holder is just as good as the Lee holder though I think the Lee holder might be a bit more secure attaching to the adapter ring.  I didn't see them listed on CVP but they are listed on their site.  I recommend getting the 100mm system because it will be easier to evolve.

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/nd-starter-kit

That seems like a more approachable solution. Thanks for your input. 

Is it possible to get 2mm glass filters in the future i.e. is there a possibility that I will have to upgrade to a more expensive holder for compatibility reasons?

12 minutes ago, cc143 said:

That seems like a more approachable solution. Thanks for your input. 

Is it possible to get 2mm glass filters in the future i.e. is there a possibility that I will have to upgrade to a more expensive holder for compatibility reasons?

I have the Lee holder and am using both HiTech and Lee filters on them.  The 2-3mm thick filters will fit on their holders as long as the width is 100mm.  If you buy the HiTech holder, you won't need to upgrade to a more expensive system to mount 2mm thick filters.

The only filters that will not fit are the cinematography filters which are going to be a bit thicker and much wider, for matte box use.