HTC codename Bolt (Next flagship) leaked with no Audio jack!

AlTech
8 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Then again, this is WCCF talking...

Hey if they shotgun enough things something is bound to hit.

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

USB-c for audio has the advantage of having a DAC inline for better sound quality. 

doesnt always help

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

6 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

doesnt always help

In fact id argue it will probably almost always hurt.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

8 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

USB-c for audio has the advantage of having a DAC inline for better sound quality. 

wat?  regardless where the DAC ends up, the quality of it is going to determine your sound... putting it in the phone or in the cable doesn't really make a difference; using a good one vs a crap one does.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I love the design, mm chamfers. But really don't like the lack of 3.5mm I watch twitch at work on my phone and have it charging while my headphones are plugged in.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I highly doubt this is their next flagship. It looks a lot more like a Desire range phone.

That said, even if it does ditch the 3.5mm jack I don't see it as a huge issue. They include an adapter in the box (generally).

It is however a shame there aren't more USB-C headphones on the market, though as more phones adopt this, more will be produced. It's the chicken and the egg. One has to come before the other.

I think with the way things are going Bluetooth headphones will take over before USB-C headphones do.

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

TRIGGERED

[Insert massive rant here]

FFS. Please Jesus. I have $150 USD Sennheiser Headphones. Not cheap garbage. It's not easy for me to buy new $150 USB-C headphones and why should I?

BUT WHY SHOULD I? There is no justifiable reason why I can't use my nice headphones without an Adapter.

Same. Not that I was tremendously interested but this definitely is a big no no.

It's a small adapter, I really don't see what the huge deal is.

Not only that, why complain about it? Just don't buy the device. There's tons of other options out there.

You don't have to buy new headphones. They include an adapter in the box. Don't like the adapter? Buy USB-C headphones.

A lot of higher end headphones have detachable cables. The upgrade to USB-C will be a piece of cake.

You keep saying "why should I" and "I shouldn't have to" when, realistically, you don't. Buy something else.

If they choose to go USB-C with their future products, that's entirely their decision. Vote with your wallet.

If they continue with USB-C, then clearly it wasn't enough and the future is going in a different direction than you.

I shouldn't need to buy an adapter since I have choice to buy phones with a headphone jack.

Usually they're included with the phone anyway.

But, as you said. Buy another device. If everyone switches over, then clearly you're in the minority and SOL.

7 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Just use them with an audiophile quality music player.  They're mostly wasted on a mere phone. 

So much of this.

4 hours ago, Daring said:

But that'd be another thing to carry around. Besides, who wants to use an adapter with their phone?!

If it's connected to the headphones, is it really like carrying around something else? Not really.

You're just plugging it into a different port. Why not just ignore the adapter once it's attached?

3 hours ago, Sampsy said:

I'm all up for moving audio to UCB-C - but a much better way of doing it than suddenly dropping the existing audio jack is to begin supporting audio over usb-c now, phasing out the old connector over a few years to give people time to upgrade. 

I don't think that'd make much sense, since I imagine most people use headphones under $50, or the included ones in the box. The cost is small compared to the cost of the phone, so if it's something they really want to use then they can use the adapter.

Plus it pushes companies to make USB-C headphones. If there's no demand, why make the product?

1 hour ago, Copuis said:

*eye twitch*

i hope it is a matter of the jack being on the top of the phone or something

also, whats with all the mic holes on the back?

Noise cancellation.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

So... what's the deal with it? :P

I didn't do the article since it was WCCFTECH and sounded highly improbable.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Looks  pretty nice tho

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Great more phones where people can drill holes to get their 3.5mm jack in.

As someone with an iPhone 7 who uses headphones everyday (for 2-6 hours per day) I have no problem with the included adapter. I keep it attached to my headphones. 

Yes, it sucks that the market is slowly moving away from the 3.5mm jack, but I'm ok as long as it is justified. If I understand correctly Apple did it to improve the water resistance. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

2 hours ago, Sampsy said:

Because frankly it is a bad connector by today's standards. Sure it carries an audio signal just fine but it is larger than it needs to be, isn't very well suited for a plethora of other audio-related functions and it's completely unnecessary in a world where a high-bandwidth usb connector can do pretty much anything.  

There is the 2.5mm jack. And no USB connector. C or Lightning included, has better durability than the 3.5mm jack. I've always had USB connectors die on a device before the headphone jack.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Then again, this is WCCF talking...

Do you have anything that shows the information presented is wrong? WCCF may not be the best source, but they have gotten many things correct, and therefore it's not proper to dis them simply because you don't like the information being presented. Ditching the headphone jack is not all that unlikely, as horribly as it is.

Please judge the information on actual opposing evidence and logic, not "well, it comes from WCCF so it can't be true."

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Is this supposed to be a midranger? Because theres loads of phones with superior specs at a similar price...

Nope. It's probably gonna be a flagship.

4 hours ago, Sampsy said:

Because frankly it is a bad connector by today's standards. Sure it carries an audio signal just fine but it is larger than it needs to be, isn't very well suited for a plethora of other audio-related functions and it's completely unnecessary in a world where a high-bandwidth usb connector can do pretty much anything.  

But most people have headphones with 3.5mm jack............ Do you honestly want to piss off the majority of people just to use a new standard?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. It's probably gonna be a flagship.

But most people have headphones with 3.5mm jack............ Do you honestly want to piss off the majority of people just to use a new standard?

I just hope that the "no headphone jack" BS stays outside of the $100-$200 AUD price bracket. Because I don't want my next equivalent of the Moto G or ZTE 4G fitsmart to be lacking one.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I just hope that the "no headphone jack" BS stays outside of the $100-$200 AUD price bracket. Because I don't want my next equivalent of the Moto G or ZTE 4G fitsmart to be lacking one.

Same kinda story. I want the $200-300 phones to keep the headphone jack. because honestly, as great as $700 flagships are, they really kill your wallet.

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But what about my expensive audiophile quality headphones?

I mean.. Using an adapter is dumb yeah but realistically speaking $150 is pretty entry level for "expensive audiophile quality headphones"

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

I mean.. Using an adapter is dumb yeah but realistically speaking $150 is pretty entry level for "expensive audiophile quality headphones"

So you're trying to justify removing the second most ubiquitous port on a phone?

1 minute ago, Lays said:

And (not to side with the jack removal people but) any good headphones should have a detachable cable, allowing you to convert them from 3.5 mm to whatever you need with a new cable that has an inline DAC without having yo replace them outright.  But I digress...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And (not to side with the jack removal people but) any good headphones should have a detachable cable, allowing you to convert them from 3.5 mm to whatever you need with a new cable that has an inline DAC without having yo replace them outright.  But I digress...

I would agree with that statement. Except my headphones currently uses 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

And I doubt Sennheiser would make a 2.5mm to USB C cable with a DAC.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So you're trying to justify removing the second most ubiquitous port on a phone?

I'm not trying to justify it at all.  I don't think they should get rid of it, and nowhere did I say they should.

I'm just saying using an adapter is stupid yes, but it's not the end of the world.  I mainly commented because you kept making such a big deal out of your "expensive audiofeels headphones" as if it justifies never having to use an adapter

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

I'm not trying to justify it at all.  I don't think they should get rid of it, and nowhere did I say they should.

I'm just saying using an adapter is stupid yes, but it's not the end of the world.  I mainly commented because you kept making such a big deal out of your "expensive audiofeels headphones" as if it justifies never having to use an adapter

On a relatively expensive purchase, you expect it to function with most, if not all devices.

all rage at the removal of the port aside

by taking the port away, apple basically said, we are no longer a true business phone (and before someone gets on a fan boi soap box hear me out)

after not only working in a few fields that required many hours on the phone to clients, and being at the airport for hours and hours and hours, have a look at all the "important" people, those that truly use their phone as a work horse,
90% or so have tethered headsets, even myself when I travel rock a stereo set with one headphone cut off, it streamlines the amount of things to charge, it means that as long as the phone as power, you can talk hands free, and you dont have to be that dude using speaker phone in an airline club

This just shows how everyone else doesnt do shit until Apple does it first....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE