HTC codename Bolt (Next flagship) leaked with no Audio jack!

AlTech
23 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Because the 1/8" TRS & TRRS connector is an old and outdated analog connector - removing it from the chasis will provide lower cost, less build time, less issues regarding sealent from foreign materials like dust or water an will facilitate the change to a new generation of technology.

Also with regards to using expensive quality headphones on a mobile phone, the majority of phones have terrible audio quality. Apple is generally the exception to this rule though but I can give you first hand experience that my HTC M7 had perhaps the worst 3.5mm audio quality of any device I've ever used, mobile or otherwise.

Oh come on...

Old? Yes (old does not mean bad)

Outdated? No

Analog? Yes, which is why it is great (I still don't understand why people seem to think that analog is inherently bad).

Removing it will not reduce cost or build time in any meaningful way. It might save off like 10 cents from the cost of a phone (which obviously won't get passed along to consumers). It will however increase the cost of headphones by a significant amount, especially lower end ones.

Why do you think old is bad?

Why do you think 3.5mm is outdated?

Why do you think analog is bad?

On 10/16/2016 at 8:49 AM, AluminiumTech said:

FFS. Please Jesus. I have $150 USD Sennheiser Headphones.

On 10/16/2016 at 8:53 AM, AluminiumTech said:

But what about my expensive audiophile quality headphones?

Are those sold at the same store as the $15,000 Honda Civic high performance sports car?

or the Nvidia GTX 1050 enthusiast grade GPU?

14 hours ago, dankmemes said:

Can companies stop copying iPhone features or lack thereof. If I wanted an iPhone I would buy one.

I thought I was the only one who dismissed the Pixel because of it's blatant shift towards the iPhone.  By this point most are willing to blow off their fan base to try and convert Apple users.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Oh come on...

Old? Yes (old does not mean bad)

Outdated? No

Analog? Yes, which is why it is great (I still don't understand why people seem to think that analog is inherently bad).

Removing it will not reduce cost or build time in any meaningful way. It might save off like 10 cents from the cost of a phone (which obviously won't get passed along to consumers). It will however increase the cost of headphones by a significant amount, especially lower end ones.

Why do you think old is bad?

Why do you think 3.5mm is outdated?

Why do you think analog is bad?

I'm looking at this purely from a business perspective

Removing it from the chassis means that waterproofing can be better and will reduce build time. If you're machining the 3.5mm socket out on a handset, say it takes 15 seconds to carve out. Approximately 70 million iPhone 7 handsets have been sold so far. Say they can CNC 1000 handsets at a time. Do the math and it works out to be about 12 days worth of production time saved.

Removing the headphone jack from a handset will also boost sales of wireless headsets. - if consumers don't have the option to use 3.5mm devices, they'll have to purchase new ones - simple economics of supply and demand. The only real reason it's taken this long is because no one was brave enough to see if this sort of bold move would work.

8 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

I'm looking at this purely from a business perspective

Removing it from the chassis means that waterproofing can be better and will reduce build time. If you're machining the 3.5mm socket out on a handset, say it takes 15 seconds to carve out. Approximately 70 million iPhone 7 handsets have been sold so far. Say they can CNC 1000 handsets at a time. Do the math and it works out to be about 12 days worth of production time saved.

Removing the headphone jack from a handset will also boost sales of wireless headsets. - if consumers don't have the option to use 3.5mm devices, they'll have to purchase new ones - simple economics of supply and demand. The only real reason it's taken this long is because no one was brave enough to see if this sort of bold move would work.

Well, I can't disagree that it allows the phone manufacturers to screw over customers for their own gains. I do not agree that the 3.5mm headphone jack is outdated and should be removed though, from a consumer perspective (which should be the number 1 priority for companies).

21 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Here's where I have a bit of an issue.  You can pretty much split the world into two groups on this:

1. Those who will just accept this change and will go out and buy wireless headphones.  They are the ones "supporting this argument"
  2. Those who will not and expect manufacturers to continue including something that is ubiquitous because they have no intention of changing their headphones just because one or two companies decided they weren't going to offer them anymore.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 18/10/2016 at 2:59 PM, Windspeed36 said:

Because the 1/8" TRS & TRRS connector is an old and outdated analog connector - removing it from the chasis will provide lower cost, less build time, less issues regarding sealent from foreign materials like dust or water an will facilitate the change to a new generation of technology.

Also with regards to using expensive quality headphones on a mobile phone, the majority of phones have terrible audio quality. Apple is generally the exception to this rule though but I can give you first hand experience that my HTC M7 had perhaps the worst 3.5mm audio quality of any device I've ever used, mobile or otherwise.

Yes, but you have to replace a standard with another equal or better standard, and I can't really thing of a better way of doing 3.5, except making it shorter/smaller.  Comprising device connectivity and convenience  for superfluous reasons is pretty stupid. The A7 has already demonstrated to be very water resistant, and that's with the audio jack. 

- snip-

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Here's where I have a bit of an issue.  You can pretty much split the world into two groups on this:

1. Those who will just accept this change and will go out and buy wireless headphones.  They are the ones "supporting this argument"
  2. Those who will not and expect manufacturers to continue including something that is ubiquitous because they have no intention of changing their headphones just because one or two companies decided they weren't going to offer them anymore.

The problem is when those one or two companies are the two biggest ones, i.e. Apple and supposedly Samsung, and now HTC (which is pretty small, but let's ignore them). Most people who buy their phones will just buy them without thinking what do they need the phone for and what the change brings them, and I do mean that in every way. And you can see the problem, it's the classical "jumping the train thing". Most arguments I have seen in every single debate on a social media or forums are "yeah, keep your standard from the stone age" and such, and that way of thinking spreads like fire. Sales are good, so smaller brands start doing the same thing. 

I am really thankful that some line of phones won't ditch it (no source, I'm just sure they won't), and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a V20 or even V30 next year which is one line I'm sure will carry the jack for as long is exists. 

EDIT: 2 people just from my department on work bought the 7S and it is just as I described. Mind you we only have 18 people. 

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I definitely fall into the 2nd camp.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 16.10.2016 at 2:49 PM, AluminiumTech said:

TRIGGERED

[Insert massive rant here]

FFS. Please Jesus. I have $150 USD Sennheiser Headphones. Not cheap garbage. It's not easy for me to buy new $150 USB-C headphones and why should I?

No one forces you to buy a phone from HTC.

As people always say, "vote with your wallet". 

I would simply buy an adapter. Charging my phone while listening to music is not something I do. Do you? 

28 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

No one forces you to buy a phone from HTC.

As people always say, "vote with your wallet". 

I would simply buy an adapter. Charging my phone while listening to music is not something I do. Do you? 

I watch twitch at work while I draft, and to keep my phones battery from dieing I charge it while I watch with headphones plugged in.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

47 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Charging my phone while listening to music is not something I do. Do you? 

No because I use a phone with awesomely amazing battery life. Like more than a day on a single charge. But most people I know would run into issues with this since they do charge and listen to music at the same time.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),