HTC codename Bolt (Next flagship) leaked with no Audio jack!

AlTech
2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

On a relatively expensive purchase, you expect it to function with most, if not all devices.

Actually, that is not how things work. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 hours ago, Notional said:

What am I missing here? There are no pictures to support this?

There are in the source of front, back and bottom, no clear pic of top. 

15 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

meanwhile the V20 can drive high impedance headphones

I know where i'm going after my V10 

It does have 4 DAC after all, as well as few other gimmicks. 

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

On a relatively expensive purchase, you expect it to function with most, if not all devices.

Windows 10 is relatively expensive too(not counting the free upgrade ofc), and yet it doesn't always function well with all PCs..lol

Just pulling your leg btw.. ;p

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

There are in the source of front, back and bottom, no clear pic of top. 

It does have 4 DAC after all, as well as few other gimmicks. 

of curse it's a gimmick (not made used by apple, therefore gimmick),, still gives more value to this phone and more bang per buck compared to others

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Overall I like it just wish they ditched capacitive buttons and home button for on screen ones.
About 3.5mm jack I don't care too much really. Having something like ~$100 ear buds can get by with adapter for start, until later in future everything is with Type-C I guess.

Though I wouldn't carry expensive headphones with a phone anyway so. Or if I would be such an audiophile and being on bleeding edge all the time with tech, I'd just get some expensive Type-C headphones/earbuds and be whatever.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 16/10/2016 at 1:49 PM, AluminiumTech said:

TRIGGERED

[Insert massive rant here]

FFS. Please Jesus. I have $150 USD Sennheiser Headphones. Not cheap garbage. It's not easy for me to buy new $150 USB-C headphones and why should I?

then dont buy the phone problem solved

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

7 hours ago, Thony said:

This just shows how everyone else doesnt do shit until Apple does it first....

they didnt the moto z ditched it first and some chinese phone also, apple was third

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But most people have headphones with 3.5mm jack............ Do you honestly want to piss off the majority of people just to use a new standard?

When usb can do the same job, I am all up for it. its smaller, make the phone more water resistance and provide same audio quality. The thing I dont like is only one usb port on the phone so u cant charge and use headphone the same time, this is dumb, like the apple laptop.

if usb can do the same thing as the 3.5 jack, I would say its fine to move this way given that phone still have two ports instead of one. Sorry for your 150 dollar investment, but u can still use a adapter. its the same as removing the CD reader, yes someone still use discs, but the benefit the alternative brings makes it acceptable.

Yeah cause HTC is doing so good they can easily take a risk like this.

/s

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

of curse it's a gimmick (not made used by apple, therefore gimmick),, still gives more value to this phone and more bang per buck compared to others

I just read an in depth analysis of the DAC on AA and it's really something else. I've read on number of trustworthy sources that the camera recording and proper headphones give outstanding sound, except the speaker that is horrible. Mind you in many regions you get B&O earphones with it which sound much better than your usual ones. It appears it actually works. 

1 hour ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

they didnt the moto z ditched it first and some chinese phone also, apple was third

Havent heard anyone mention it. Gotta go and look it up.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

16 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It appears it actually works. 

why would anyone think otherwise? Don't think LG is in the business to just lie to it's consumer and live to the tell the tale

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

40 minutes ago, Thony said:

Havent heard anyone mention it. Gotta go and look it up.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11900992/moto-z-specs-no-headphone-jack

i knew it.  i fucking knew it.  Ever since the rumors about apple removing the audio jack started, i always had that dreaded feeling of "Great, because apple is doing this, everyone else is going to copy apple and remove the headphone jack out of their phones as well.  This is just going to further limit my choices in which smartphone I will buy once my Nexus 6 dies.  Even if the only phones that will have headphone jacks are the cheap shitty ones that cost about 100$, I will buy that over a 700$ phone without a headphone jack.  All in the pursuit of creating a phone that is as goddamn thin as a sheet of paper.  

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

why would anyone think otherwise? Don't think LG is in the business to just lie to it's consumer and live to the tell the tale

I misunderstood your ststement about it being a gimkick. Thought you meant it like snake oil :P my bad

Most of you are clearly ignoring the fact that the 3.5mm jack isn't being replaced but removed. If another type-C port was added then we wouldn't have an issue at all. I took apart many phones in my life and the 3.5mm jack doesn't take up nearly as much room as to justify removing it. That's like if car manufacturers started removing the back seats in sedans just for the sake of it. Stupid, pointless and hopefully their profit margins will suffer. But who am I kidding, people will just blindly believe that this is some sort if improvement while cursing the fact that they can't listen to music while charging.

Looking at the article on wccftech, I don't see an image of the top of the phone, are they jumping the gun and just presuming HTC are dropping the 3.5mm jack?

Edit: I guess given the similarity to the HTC 10, you'd be able to see the 3.5mm (if it were at the top) due to the chamfer.

Oh well, I guess I'll stop buying HTC phones. GG WP, NO RE.

can you patent the concept of a case that adds the headphone port alongside the charging/data port? Could be the next selfie stick market hit

On 10/16/2016 at 5:49 AM, AluminiumTech said:

TRIGGERED

[Insert massive rant here]

FFS. Please Jesus. I have $150 USD Sennheiser Headphones. Not cheap garbage. It's not easy for me to buy new $150 USB-C headphones and why should I?

To be blunt, you're not doing the headphones proper justice by plugging it into a phone audio jack. Headphone sounds are only as good as your source provides. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

7 minutes ago, rashdanml said:

To be blunt, you're not doing the headphones proper justice by plugging it into a phone audio jack. Headphone sounds are only as good as your source provides. 

Which is why my phone+iPod Nano+laptop+tablet+dekstop sound like shit when used with my headphones, unlike my old Intel SE 440 BX-2 motherboard, which sounds beautiful due to its Yamaha XG audio chip (Realtek HD Audio still sucks , and the Soundblaster Live Value from 2000-2001 isn't too far behind the XG in sound quality).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Can companies stop copying iPhone features or lack thereof. If I wanted an iPhone I would buy one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MOBO: MSI B350 Gaming Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz (2x 8GB)

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RX 480 8GB

Storage: Crucial MX 500 250GB, Crucial BX 200 240GB, 1TB WD Blue, 1TB Toshiba P300

PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W

On 10/16/2016 at 7:53 AM, AluminiumTech said:

But what about my expensive audiophile quality headphones?

Get an adapter. Simple as that.

Love how the article says everyone is following Apple with removing the headphone jack, when Motorola were several months "ahead" of Apple on it.

It's always fascinating to see how Apple rewrites history. They are somehow always first despite often doing what other companies has done long before them.

On 2016-10-16 at 2:53 PM, AluminiumTech said:

But what about my expensive audiophile quality headphones?

150 dollar headphones are not exactly "expensive audiophile quality headphones" territory.

It's more like midrange.

On 2016-10-16 at 2:55 PM, vorticalbox said:

USB-c for audio has the advantage of having a DAC inline for better sound quality. 

Or they could just put a good DAC inside the phone. Kind of like what LG is supposedly doing.

On 2016-10-16 at 6:45 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

My hope is that people will simply ignore any device stupid enough to not have the port (assuming they are someone who ever used it, which admittedly isn't everyone, but, come on) but I fear that will not happen.  @themctipers can attest to what I've seen going on in pro-apple circles where person after person have been "upgrading" to the iPhone 7, seemingly for no reason... it's like their just mindless drones buying it and not even knowing why or really wanting to.  I suspect that behaviour will spread, and my dream of the forces of evolution and capitalism making stupid phones like this die out will die out instead.

If there is one thing I have learned about technology over the years, it's that people have no idea what is good/bad and why it is good/bad when it comes to technology. Most people, even on this forum, understands nothing.

On 2016-10-17 at 4:06 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Do you have anything that shows the information presented is wrong? WCCF may not be the best source, but they have gotten many things correct, and therefore it's not proper to dis them simply because you don't like the information being presented. Ditching the headphone jack is not all that unlikely, as horribly as it is.

Please judge the information on actual opposing evidence and logic, not "well, it comes from WCCF so it can't be true."

That's not how logic works. It is up to the one making the claim to prove that it is correct. So far, the only thing WCCF has proven is that the headphone jack on this supposedly leaked prototype is not located on the bottom of the phone. It might be located on the top for all we know.

On 2016-10-17 at 5:04 AM, AluminiumTech said:

But most people have headphones with 3.5mm jack............ Do you honestly want to piss off the majority of people just to use a new standard?

I would be OK with pissing people off in order to use a new standard, if the new standard was better than what we already had. Sadly, the current replacements for 3.5mm are garbage with a huge list of drawbacks. New standards shouldn't be "it is better at these two things, but worse at these 15 other things". Upgrades should be "it has all these benefits, and no drawbacks".

On 16/10/2016 at 11:54 PM, AluminiumTech said:

BUT WHY SHOULD I? There is no justifiable reason why I can't use my nice headphones without an Adapter.

Same. Not that I was tremendously interested but this definitely is a big no no.

Because the 1/8" TRS & TRRS connector is an old and outdated analog connector - removing it from the chasis will provide lower cost, less build time, less issues regarding sealent from foreign materials like dust or water an will facilitate the change to a new generation of technology.

Also with regards to using expensive quality headphones on a mobile phone, the majority of phones have terrible audio quality. Apple is generally the exception to this rule though but I can give you first hand experience that my HTC M7 had perhaps the worst 3.5mm audio quality of any device I've ever used, mobile or otherwise.