What linux version should i use

Im wondering what linux version is best for gaming yes ik it wont support all games but it will support dota wich i will use this pc for and it is not my daily driver pc just a low powered toaster

22 minutes ago, Twist3relelelele said:

Ok thank you alot now i can continue my build :D

Just some extra options:

Elementary OS is popular on the forum for it's beautiful look and feel.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Mint with the Cinnamon desktop enviroment is my fave

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Just some extra options:

Elementary OS is popular on the forum for it's beautiful look and feel.

i have a problem i have no idea how to open the bios on a pre bult tried f8 f12 enter etc

1 minute ago, Twist3relelelele said:

i have a problem i have no idea how to open the bios on a pre bult tried f8 f12 enter etc

Try one of these: F10, F11, F2, Delete

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

F1 maybe

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

4 minutes ago, Twist3relelelele said:

nope

F6, F7, F5,

IDEK......

Ubuntu with Gnome GUI or Debian with Gnome GUI are my go too's for linux
as for accessing the bios normal buttons are F1, F2 or Del Key. but it changes depending on the make and model of your computer.

Also if you have a modern pc you may need to turn off Secure Boot in the bios/uefi

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

3 minutes ago, GeekThief said:

Ubuntu with Gnome GUI or Debian with Gnome GUI are my go too's for linux
as for accessing the bios normal buttons are F1, F2 or Del Key. but it changes depending on the make and model of your computer.

Also if you have a modern pc you may need to turn off Secure Boot in the bios/uefi

its a compaq pre built from 2008

hp compaq will use F10 or Esc key.  (F9 or Esc Key for boot menu too)

it should flash up on the screen when you first power on :)

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Are you planning on running a gaming VM inside linux, or does DoTA 2 have native Linux support? (To enter BIOS on a laptop if it has windows 8/10 installed you need to go into config recovery and hit advanced options. Also maybe just reboot while holding down Shift , or power down with Shift then choose UEFI Firmware update from the windows recovery screen)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

i use ubuntu 16.04 for playing steam games. Ubuntu also works nicely with my new GTX 1060. You need to look at your graphics card driver, then match it to the kernel available in the distribution. Before i bought the GTX1060 i was using a 9800GTX+ with debian. debian is my preferred system but its kernel was too old and required back ports to use my new GPU. It can work with debian but i choose ubuntu LTS for its longterm support. 

I used arch years ago but stopped using it when a new X server version was release and Nvidia drivers weren't compatible so i had to spend time doing a bunch of rollbacks. i don't want to go through that again. I just want to play games when i want to play games.

I never saw any need to use mint, ill get some hate for this but debian & fedora are stable with gnome3 and i really enjoy gnome3 except its not so good with multi monitor when you want to play a full screen video on one monitor while working on the other. Ubuntu's unity is usable for me at the 16.04LTS release. I use to hate it but i think its no longer a beta product and handles multi monitor very well 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

- Linux Lite.

- Linux Mint.

- Ubuntu flavors like Mate.

- Peppermint OS7.

You cannot realy go wrong with any of those.

If you are a bit more tech savey, then you could also jump into an Arch based distro like Apricity OS, Manjaro, Antergos or vanilla Arch.

But keep in mind that Arch based distributions trend to breake them selfs from time to time, because they are very bleeding edge.

I have used Manjaro as a daily driver from a couple of months, and everything worked smoothly.

Untill a certain day that it started to trow all sorts of errors at me.

From errors with the update manager, to errors with the network manager, and ultimately errors with the display manager.

I decided to set Manjaro asside for a while.

Allthough i realy like what Manjaro is trying to do.

They basicly make Arch reachable for everyone.

And i think that is a good thing.

Arch basicly has one of the biggest software repositories out there.

On 17.10.2016 at 4:11 AM, VicBar said:

Are you planning on running a gaming VM inside linux, or does DoTA 2 have native Linux support? (To enter BIOS on a laptop if it has windows 8/10 installed you need to go into config recovery and hit advanced options. Also maybe just reboot while holding down Shift , or power down with Shift then choose UEFI Firmware update from the windows recovery screen)

Pretty much every valve/source game has linux support. 

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz