Fostex T50RP Modded - MayflowerElectronics Version 3

ShearMe

When I was young, my dad worked at a BlockBuster retail outlet (what's that?). As some old timers may recall, many stores even used to have CD sections. My dad's store happened to also have listening stations where you could try out music. Being a little kid, the headphones they had were gargantuan, so they always felt like a leather pillow on my head.

When I first put on the @MayflowerElectronics modded Fostex T50RP, I immediately fell into memories of the past. 

AEKHkBB-2-600x600.jpg

Comfort

The oval cups fit around all of the ear without involving your jaw or cheek bones, and the thick, deep, soft, plush pads conform to the shape of your head in a way that tells your brain, "Hey, it's time to do some serious listening." For a semi-open headphone, isolation is pretty nice, and when music is playing I can't hear anything around me at all. They don't seem to get too stuffy over many-hour long usages, but I do keep my room quite cold. The pleather does stick to your skin a bit after warming it up, but I quite enjoy the feel of the particular pleather of these pads ("Like a boobie on your head" even more so than those J88's I reviewed). I'd like too talk more about how freaking comfy these things are, but I think a picture might suffice.

Sound

I have never heard an orthodynamic headphone before this. Listening for the first few hours was... disorienting. If a song wasn't muddy and boomy, it was harsh and crackly. Maybe it was because I was tired, but my brain just couldn't wrap my head around what was going on. Before going off to bed early, I put on my go-to orchestral album, Halo: CE Anniversary OST, and laid down to have a listen. Next thing I know, I'm waking up a few hours later with the headphones over on the hanger by my bed! wacko.png Since I dozed off before truly having a good listen, I then loaded up Nine Inch Nails's album "Ghosts" and laid back down. Suddenly the music sounded great. Whether it was getting some sleep, or my brain figuring out how to process the information, I was finally able to enjoy this great pair of headphones, and finished the album before returning to sleep. I've since been using these almost non-stop with everything from loud electronic music to soft female vocals, and they perform very, very nicely.

Mr. Mayflower likes his headphones to sound 'fun' in the sense that he likes a 'V' in the frequency response curve. I can certainly see why with these, because the smile never left my face. Bass is tight, accurate, and loud, yet highs don't suffer in the slightest, courtesy of the orthodynamic drivers I presume. Comparing them with my recently-acquired Sony MDR-XB700's, everything in my music just sounds so much more clean.

Another benefit of orthodynamic drivers, they will go louder than your eardrums can bear - without clipping. I don't want to say I turned up my FiiO E10 all the way on high gain to test this......... but I did, which brings to mind another point. You need a decent amp to drive these. I did a little testing at work using my phone, and the sound is quite poor if you cannot drive these well.

Conclusion

If you're looking for a closed headphone for $200+ and have a good amp, give serious consideration to these (or mod your own if you're willing to source the parts). The comfort is outstanding, and the sound is great in it's own right. I will be quite sad to ship these out to the next reviewer.

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-version-3/

Nice review  :)

Who wouldn't know what a retail blockbuster is like? They only started vanishing when netflix became popular.

Will probably due my AD700x review this week/weekend.

Great review, plenty of info. Just wondering though, did you take that picture or is it from a website. If you took it then NICEEEE.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Who wouldn't know what a retail blockbuster is like? They only started vanishing when netflix became popular.

Haven't seen one in years, maybe I should've waited another decade before making that joke...

Will probably due my AD700x review this week/weekend.

Maybe I'll reference it - I'll be comparing the 500X and Pioneer SE-A1000 soonish.

Great review, plenty of info. Just wondering though, did you take that picture or is it from a website. If you took it then NICEEEE.

From his website - I wish I had a camera capable of that. :)

Nice review  :)

In England they died out years ago, but I still remember them of course!!!! :o

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

In England they died out years ago, but I still remember them of course!!!! :o

Up in aberdeen there is still the corpse of a fallen blockbuster, sad to see them go. I used them for game rentals and there really isn't a good alternative right now. (Gamefly sucks and digital downloads take too long on my connection.)

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Nice review, I got the modded version of the Fostex T50RP by Mr Speakers they sound great too

Nice review, @MayflowerElectronics would be proud :)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

That copper adjusting pipes look nice, kinda outlandish but nice

We were thinking of painting them white, but it wasn't in the budget. It also might rub off over time if you frequently adjust them.

We were thinking of painting them white, but it wasn't in the budget. It also might rub off over time if you frequently adjust them.

Possibly, maybe advertise them as heatpipes to help keep ears cool :P But since the cans are mostly black the copper gives it a nice accent imo

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Possibly, maybe advertise them as heatpipes to help keep ears cool :P But since the cans are mostly black the copper gives it a nice accent imo

Lol, yeah heat pipes could work. Love the beardie picture by the way :).

Lol, yeah heat pipes could work. Love the beardie picture by the way :).

I must admit it's quite cute maybe I ought to call it the WizardLizard(it rhymes yay)

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum