How to limit FPS in Half Life

TubsAlwaysWins

So I know what you are thinking: Why would you even need to lower the FPS in Half Life? I will explain my scenario.

I will be going on a ~9 hour flight to Hawaii soon and figured it would be a good time to play Half Life. I will be playing on a 2012 Macbook Pro with windows on it (It was given to me and is better than my old laptop so please don't bring it up). I would like to know how just in case the plane doesn't have power outlets so I can play longer. It will also keep it cooler. So how do I do it? Thanks

Breaking things 1 day at a time

4 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

So I know what you are thinking: Why would you even need to lower the FPS in Half Life? I will explain my scenario.

I will be going on a ~9 hour flight to Hawaii soon and figured it would be a good time to play Half Life. I will be playing on a 2012 Macbook Pro with windows on it (It was given to me and is better than my old laptop so please don't bring it up). I would like to know how just in case the plane doesn't have power outlets so I can play longer. It will also keep it cooler. So how do I do it? Thanks

Just enable power saving options on the PC or something.

If it has AMD or NVidia graphics, you can use Rivertuner/MSI Afterburner and if its Intel graphics you can use Dxtory.  Just google how to limit the FPS using these programs. It's fairly simple.

I use Afterburner on my desktop and Dxtory on my laptop.  Both of them will do the job.

1 minute ago, KingKeith55 said:

Just enable power saving options on the PC or something.

^This^. Though TBH my 2006 Toshiba Tecra M5 was able to get over 4 hours out of its 12cell (needs repacking however-if I decided to resurrect the laptop) playing Halflife 1-it is a rather old game.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, BallisticPeanut said:

If it has AMD or NVidia graphics, you can use Rivertuner/MSI Afterburner and if its Intel graphics you can use Dxtory.  

I use Afterburner on my desktop and Dxtory on my laptop.  Both of them will do the job.

Sadly, its just a iGPU

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Sadly, its just a iGPU

Dxtory should work with the iGPU.

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Sadly, its just a iGPU

It will use very little power. Just play at minimum settings. The iGPU would practically idle playing HL1. However with HL2 things might be different-at minimum settings it maxed out on an Intel 915GML (2006 Asus A3H) at close to 60fps, so the load will be higher, but still light as far as iGPU are concerned.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

edit: I was wrong, the console command is "fps_max ##". And set "fps_override 1". Make sure you do this in the main menu. One thing to note, though, is that changing the FPS can screw with various things in the engine. I believe that most of these things occur when you uncap the fps (ie: allow it to be > 100), so you probably don't need to be concerned. 

I'm pretty sure that game has a vsync option. Are you looking for an alternative for some reason?

Half_Life_Video.png