Best Air CPU Cooler

mpsparrow

I am a few hours away from going into Ottawa to help a friend buy a PC. The PC is going to have a i7-6700K or i7-6800K. I am looking for a powerful air cooler that would be able to handle the CPU being overclocked. Also it would be helpful if it was available at Canada Computers as that is where we will be buying most of the parts from.

The price range is anything really. Try to keep it below $100. But work is buying it, so the price is flexible.

I was thinking of going with an Asus X99 motherboard. Then I would get 4 x 8GB of ram (Corsair probably) so that would be 32GB of ddr4.

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

The price range is anything really. Try to keep it below $100. But work is buying it, so the price is flexible.

I was thinking of going with an Asus X99 motherboard. Then I would get 4 x 8GB of ram (Corsair probably) so that would be 32GB of ddr4.

Ok but do you know the case as I don't want to tell you something then it ends up not fitting

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I have not decided the case really. I was leaning towards the Corsair Carbide Series 200R.

I just looked on the website, you could pick up a Noctua HD-D14 for $113.  The D15 is the newer one, but the 14 still performs really well.  The D15 is widely regarded as the best air cooler on the market.  You'll need a fairly large case for either of those though.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

I have not decided the case really. I was leaning towards the Corsair Carbide Series 200R.

Ok the only issue with picking the case after the cpu cooler is that a lot of the better coolers out their are quite large so you might not be able to fit the cooler in the case selected if you choose that after the fact, so your best bet is to check what the cases you are considering allow for cpu cooler dimensions and compare that to the coolers recommended.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

The Deepcool Gamer Storm cooler is the only one that is actually available in the store that I would be going to. I guess I could just get that one.

Pity, i would've preferred the phanteks one. But the gamer storm is also an excellent choice. Similar in performance(Only 1-2*C higher) for half the price of the other coolers.

Do check the dimensions, those coolers are all massive coolers. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Ok the only issue with picking the case after the cpu cooler is that a lot of the better coolers out their are quite large so you might not be able to fit the cooler in the case selected if you choose that after the fact, so your best bet is to check what the cases you are considering allow for cpu cooler dimensions and compare that to the coolers recommended.

Ok, well a quick check shows that the Corsair Carbide Series 200R is available in the Ottawa Merivale store, so I am happy to just go with that case. This build is not going to be too picky in looks. It is more a powerful work computer then a good looking computer.

Scythe Fuma, all the way. Just as good as the top Noctua's , with a better price. Done deal.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Pity, i would've preferred the phanteks one. But the gamer storm is also an excellent choice. Similar in performance(Only 1-2*C higher) for half the price of the other coolers.

Well, the NCIX store in Ottawa has the Phanteks one in stock. The NCIX store is only about 3-5km from Canada Computers. I could always pick it up there. But will it fit in the Corsair 200r case? I may need to go with a different cooler if it doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Scythe Fuma, all the way. Just as good as the top Noctua's , with a better price. Done deal.

Neither NCIX Ottawa or Canada Computers stock the Scythe Fuma, so that is out.

A Sytche Fuma. It out performs the Noctua D15, Cryorig R1, Dark Rock Pro 3, etc. While being smaller and cheaper and about just as quiet.

Just now, vagabond139 said:

A Sytche Fuma. It out performs the D15, R1, etc. While being smaller and cheaper and about just as quiet.

obviously didn't see my last post

3 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Neither NCIX Ottawa or Canada Computers stock the Scythe Fuma, so that is out.

3 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

obviously didn't see my last post

Oh. I would go for a Nocta D15 or a Cryorig R1 then, whichever is cheaper. Also you could try contacting Scythe to see if they will sell you one directly, its worth a shot.

I thank you for all the suggestions, but none of these are available in the NCIX Ottawa or Canada Computers Ottawa Merivale store. The plan is to buy all the parts today as he sort of needs to start using the computer for work.

3 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

What do you guys think of this cooler? It is available in the NCIX Nepean store. http://www.ncix.com/detail/noctua-nh-u14s-lga115x-2011-am2-am3-20-82802.htm

Its decent but not the best. The TC14PE or the D14 would be your best option with both getting similar performance and imo the Phanteks cooler looks better.

36 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

What do you guys think of this cooler? It is available in the NCIX Nepean store. http://www.ncix.com/detail/noctua-nh-u14s-lga115x-2011-am2-am3-20-82802.htm

That would be a very good choice aswell. Has similar performance as the Fuma sicne they trade blows, but cost a bit more. Unless maxing out extemely, in my opinion the better overall choice then a D15.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I think I have narrowed it down to a few. I will get my friend to make the final decisions though as it is his PC.

1 hour ago, vagabond139 said:

A Sytche Fuma. It out performs the Noctua D15, Cryorig R1, Dark Rock Pro 3, etc. While being smaller and cheaper and about just as quiet.

I'm not seeing how it performs better than the NH-D15 or R1 while being as quiet. It often has to ramp up fans to keep up with any of the large dual tower heatsinks.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2794&page=6

1 hour ago, vagabond139 said:

Its decent but not the best. The TC14PE or the D14 would be your best option with both getting similar performance and imo the Phanteks cooler looks better.

The NH-U14S isn't far behind the NH-D14 and is a lot more convenient to work with due to the form factor. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not seeing how it performs better than the NH-D15 or R1 while being as quiet. It often has to ramp up fans to keep up with any of the large dual tower heatsinks.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2794&page=6

The NH-U14S isn't far behind the NH-D14 and is a lot more convenient to work with due to the form factor. 

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/ 

According to this review its only about 2 dba louder than a D15 with both at full speed while the Fuma cooling about 4C better. In that review you linked two they didn't run the D15 at low speed. Also mounting pressure is key for its performance which is likely in the frostytech review its behind the D15 performance wise.

True but the D14 is still ahead.