Upon further research: S7 edge vs. LG V20 vs. Pixel XL vs. Iphone 7+

EternalSeeker
Go to solution Solved by flackjack4,

the one plus 3 is a good option that isn't crazy expensive. also, getting a pixel xl wouldn't be a horrible idea as they have gotten stellar reviews so far.

So after doing some much needed research on possible phone replacements (for the Note 7) that were suggested by some people on the forum I have basically cut down the pool of possible device to 4!

So my device history is as followed: Acer Liquid --> Galaxy Nexus --> Galaxy Note 3 --> Galaxy Note 7.

My usage has evolved per device, I will list the recent usage from my Note 7 in a spoiler as an optional read (under spoilers):

Spoiler

-Used the phone for calling,texting,social media, etc.

-Media consumption using a 1440p screen for youtube, netflix, and some native HDR contant, music using lossless files with poweramp and music streaming with spotify

-Heavy 3D games, emulators, and pokemon Go, etc.

-Using hpc applications, loading compute payloads using otg, gnuroot to run workstation applications (programming, scripts, sensor data, machine vision, etc.); Use for on the go work but mostly a side/independant work

-Using drafting application on native andriod and linux (part of the previous point)

-Used fingerprint and iris scanner, SD card encryption, phone encryption during start up, secure folder, etc.

-Used all samsung features

-Listen to music using a 3.5mm jack at home and bt headphones on the go/gym

-Taking pictures, videos, using slow mo

-etc.

So, to summarize :

I love media consumption and media capture with the phone, I use every feature my Note 7 has and I would love to use newer features to. Battery life should be well and I love expandable storage. I use my phone for emulators, Pokemon Go, other high graphic (for a phone that is) game, spotify, data storage and transfer (for my work files and such), and I do use some "High Performance" application on the phone such as Autocad, Matlab , gnuroot Debian and other analysis software and even computing by uploading payloads via usb otg (as a hobby and sometimes to complete work on the go). I also love using root access (but if I can get most root features without rooting the phone it be great). With all that, I also use the phone like any other person such as for social media, phone calls (omg I know :P), test messaging etc. 

For the future: I would use Android wear/samsung gear s3, wireless charging, etc.

So as per what my usage is I have cut down possible devices to the following:

Galaxy Note 7 --> Galaxy S7 Edge

Reason:

Spoiler

All spec info found on GSMArena

Advantages;

-Samsung Ecosystem

-Exynos instead of SD 820 (possible better performance for intensive applications, proven battery life gains)

Disadvantages:

-Lack's Note 7 new features (unless samsung updates S7E with it, maybe a software for iris detection using only the front camera?) (Ex: palm rejection, grace UX, secure folder, multitasking,etc.)

-Smaller Screen

-Micro USB at only 2.0 speed

-Non removable battery (like the note 7)

Galaxy Note 7 ---> LG V20

Reasons:

Spoiler

Advantages:

-Removable battery

-Better DAC

-Millspec for drop

-Dual Camera

-IR blaster

-120fps slow mo 1080p video

Disadvantages:

-Lacks Samsung pay (or alternatives?)

-No IP68 water resistance

-Lacks O2, heartbeat, and baraometer 

-Type C might not be capable of 3.1 speeds?

Galaxy Note 7 --> Pixel XL

Reason:

Spoiler

Advantages:

-vanilla andriod

-unlimited picture/media storage

-Google Assistant

-SD821 soc for maybe faster performance

Disadvantages:

-Nonremovable battery

-No SD expansion

-NO IP68 rating or no milspec rating

-No O2 and heatbeat sensor

Galaxy Note 7 --> Iphone 7+

Reason:

Spoiler

Advantages:

-Dual camera

-A10 processor

-New ecosystem 

Disadvantages:

-nonremovable battery

-no sd expansion

-no current equivalent to the apps I use without jailbreak

-No O2 and hearbeat sensor

-Only 1080p screen

So which one would you get/are getting if you are switching your note 7?

Any other suggestion are welcome but have to somewhat be competitive spec wise/benchmark wise.

Thanks!

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

Why not get the note 5? I wanted to get the note 7 but seeing as how it was blowing up everywhere i decided to get the note 5 at a much much cheaper price

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

7 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

Why not get the note 5? I wanted to get the note 7 but seeing as how it was blowing up everywhere i decided to get the note 5 at a much much cheaper price

That might not be possible if on a plan since it is no longer available new (In the UK at least.) 

OP: Out of the 4, the iphone is an iphone and I wouldn't go there, LG V20 is unimpressive and overpriced at best, your best bet is the pixel, although if you like the samsung UI, the S7 edge would be a better choice, even though its well into its product cycle. 

If you have another phone, I would keep it and wait for the S8 edge, which is bound to be the note 7 - the SPen + some hardware upgrades. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

9 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

I tried to consider it but, lack of SD card, older SOC and its still 700 off contract.

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

That might not be possible if on a plan since it is no longer available new (In the UK at least.) 

OP: Out of the 4, the iphone is an iphone and I wouldn't go there, LG V20 is unimpressive and overpriced at best, your best bet is the pixel, although if you like the samsung UI, the S7 edge would be a better choice, even though its well into its product cycle. 

If you have another phone, I would keep it and wait for the S8 edge, which is bound to be the note 7 - the SPen + some hardware upgrades. 

I don't have another phone to use since my old GN3 was given to a family member. Why (in your opinion) is the V20 unimpressive? If samsung can confirm they are bringing note 7 software changes to the S7 Edge than I would definitely go with it (I usually upgrade every 2 to 3 years). 

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't understand why people complain about 1080p on a fucking phone. You will never need 1440p on a phone.

Cause for phones over $600 1440p should be given if its competitors have it. Also your right it's not a need, It's a want. Going from a 5.5 1080p to a 5.7 1440p there is a difference. 

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't understand why people complain about 1080p on a fucking phone. You will never need 1440p on a phone.

Its one of those little things again. 

Also, if Samsung offer it on their phones, it is in the market and its another spec, with more of a tangible difference to it than stepping from 4 to 6GB of ram on a bloody phone. 

4 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

I tried to consider it but, lack of SD card, older SOC and its still 700 off contract.

I don't have another phone to use since my old GN3 was given to a family member. Why (in your opinion) is the V20 unimpressive? If samsung can confirm they are bringing note 7 software changes to the S7 Edge than I would definitely go with it (I usually upgrade every 2 to 3 years). 

Because I regard the features they have put into it to differentiate it from the competition to be unnecessary and unintelligent, that 2nd screen is not something particularly useful, the audio features are also, not particularly useful, it has a smaller battery than the competition, and (if I'm not mistaken) isn't water resistant like the rest of the similarly priced phones. 

You can get more tangible perfromance and features on a phone half the price, which isn't the case with Samsung's phones across the board, or the Google pixel. 

I noticed I mentioned Samsung a lot, yes I love the note 7, but I'm not a diehard Samsung fan, it just seems as if they are the only ones making phones actually worth the extra money over the One Plus 3s and axon 7s out there. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

Its one of those little things again. 

Also, if Samsung offer it on their phones, it is in the market and its another spec, with more of a tangible difference to it than stepping from 4 to 6GB of ram on a bloody phone. 

Because I regard the features they have put into it to differentiate it from the competition to be unnecessary and unintelligent, that 2nd screen is not something particularly useful, the audio features are also, not particularly useful, it has a smaller battery than the competition, and (if I'm not mistaken) isn't water resistant like the rest of the similarly priced phones. 

You can get more tangible perfromance and features on a phone half the price, which isn't the case with Samsung's phones across the board, or the Google pixel. 

I noticed I mentioned Samsung a lot, yes I love the note 7, but I'm not a diehard Samsung fan, it just seems as if they are the only ones making phones actually worth the extra money over the One Plus 3s and axon 7s out there. 

One of the reason why I am hesitant on the s7 edge is because its almost a year old phone. 

44 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

One of the reason why I am hesitant on the s7 edge is because its almost a year old phone. 

I agree, and I am kind of on the same boat, difference being that I have my Sony Z3, whose screen I repaired after all to have as a backup after I bought the note, and found nothing is worth spending money on that's out there right now. 

Hopefully, they'll make a note 8 in August. 

However, if I were in your exact same position, I would either get some used nexus 6p or something like a cheaper hero 8, and maybe go for the note next year, so that I don't have an $ 800 paperweight if they decide to not kill the note line, because most people who buy notes I've noticed they rarely go for another phone afterwards. 

it's the OLED panel that makes the real difference for the samsung screens, not resolution. which is why i would recommend the s7 edge or the iphone 7+. the s7 is very similar to the note 7 and has all the benefits of android, not to mention the waterproofing. the iphone 7+ has an amazing SOC and good water resistance, and if you don't mind jail-breaking it is a fine choice 

13 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

I also thought that SD card slot was of upmost importance but honestly if you get the 64gb version (i got mine for 770sgd which is around 730cad) it shouldnt be a problem... Im a heavy media consumer so i'll probably eat up more space than a typical user...

If i recall the SOC for note 5 is still pretty much top of the line even by today's standards.

After heavy usage (like watching 3-4hours worth of 1080p anime) in a day i get back home never below 20% battery life

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

6 hours ago, cc143 said:

I agree, and I am kind of on the same boat, difference being that I have my Sony Z3, whose screen I repaired after all to have as a backup after I bought the note, and found nothing is worth spending money on that's out there right now. 

However, if I were in your exact same position, I would either get some used nexus 6p or something like a cheaper hero 8, and maybe go for the note next year, so that I don't have an $ 800 paperweight if they decide to not kill the note line, because most people who buy notes I've noticed they rarely go for another phone afterwards. 

YES after going from a LG g3 to a note 5 im never leaving the note line up again (5.7" screen FTW with that amazing s-pen for lecture notes)

On 10/14/2016 at 8:52 PM, cc143 said:

I wouldn't say a $800 dollar paperweight as I want a phone for the next 2 to 3 years (unless I really must upgrade). And truth to be told, even if a note 8 comes out I would hold out and not go for it unless its ground breaking. My dad as a 6p and won't be getting another one. 

22 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

I also thought that SD card slot was of upmost importance but honestly if you get the 64gb version (i got mine for 770sgd which is around 730cad) it shouldnt be a problem... Im a heavy media consumer so i'll probably eat up more space than a typical user...

If i recall the SOC for note 5 is still pretty much top of the line even by today's standards.

After heavy usage (like watching 3-4hours worth of 1080p anime) in a day i get back home never below 20% battery life

Yeah the exynos (We canadians get it) soc on the 5 is great but not cutting edge at the moment. 

22 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

YES after going from a LG g3 to a note 5 im never leaving the note line up again (5.7" screen FTW with that amazing s-pen for lecture notes)

I have come to terms that I am going to have to forgo the Spen for now as any other iteration is also a frail comparison unfortunately.

On 10/15/2016 at 0:05 AM, flackjack4 said:

it's the OLED panel that makes the real difference for the samsung screens, not resolution. which is why i would recommend the s7 edge or the iphone 7+. the s7 is very similar to the note 7 and has all the benefits of android, not to mention the waterproofing. the iphone 7+ has an amazing SOC and good water resistance, and if you don't mind jail-breaking it is a fine choice 

I hear jailbreaking causes support issues and instabilities, where i could easily just run them on android now without requiring root for most of them. Also so its not the higher 1440p resolution and higher ppi which gives these screen's the wow factor?

even if the iphone had the same resolution as the note 7, and the S7, they would look better due to the OLED screens. the OLED screens produce better colors, like deep true blacks and crisp whites. as far as jailbreaking, it seems that everyone's millage may vary. many of my friends do it and have no issues, but you will always be behind on updates, which is an unfortunate side effect. honestly if you want to stay with a big phone, the iphone 7+ is probably the best choice, otherwise i would take the s7 as it is definitely the most similar to the note 7, as they both run the same SOC and have the same screen type as well as the same android skin minus the s pen

8 hours ago, flackjack4 said:

even if the iphone had the same resolution as the note 7, and the S7, they would look better due to the OLED screens. the OLED screens produce better colors, like deep true blacks and crisp whites. as far as jailbreaking, it seems that everyone's millage may vary. many of my friends do it and have no issues, but you will always be behind on updates, which is an unfortunate side effect. honestly if you want to stay with a big phone, the iphone 7+ is probably the best choice, otherwise i would take the s7 as it is definitely the most similar to the note 7, as they both run the same SOC and have the same screen type as well as the same android skin minus the s pen

The canadian s7e has an exynos over the SD 820!

16 hours ago, flackjack4 said:

Also since it has an Exynos, its cpu would be way better but for 3d games would it lag? That is the question!

I might get this one if i do go S7E

the iphone 7+'s 1080p screen actually comes in handy for gaming on the go, as its SOC only has to push half the pixels of the s7. pound for pound in gaming, the iphone will most likely always win but if you can get an s7 with the exynos then i'd say you're good to go on that one. here in the states we are still stuck with qualcoms infinitely worse SOC.

On 10/17/2016 at 3:55 AM, flackjack4 said:

the iphone 7+'s 1080p screen actually comes in handy for gaming on the go, as its SOC only has to push half the pixels of the s7. pound for pound in gaming, the iphone will most likely always win but if you can get an s7 with the exynos then i'd say you're good to go on that one. here in the states we are still stuck with qualcoms infinitely worse SOC.

Went to the samsung experience store to see the S7 Edges, They are a bit shorter and skinnier then the note, and its back is flat, so the edges to feel "sharp". Being there doesn't make me want to leave the ecosystem but I am waiting to see the reviews for the v20 and pixel, and other phones. I hear sammy is killing the note via update on december so I guess I can hold out (to bad s8 won't be out during holidays)

you will have tons of choices for a high end phone. it's a shame the note 7 had to explode. i also hear that huawei is coming out with a high end phone with a really good SOC of their own. the pixel is good if nothing else to put pressure on the others to make better phones. so far reviewers have been loving the pixel, but is SOC is the same qualcomm in the s7 here in the states

15 hours ago, flackjack4 said:

you will have tons of choices for a high end phone. it's a shame the note 7 had to explode. i also hear that huawei is coming out with a high end phone with a really good SOC of their own. the pixel is good if nothing else to put pressure on the others to make better phones. so far reviewers have been loving the pixel, but is SOC is the same qualcomm in the s7 here in the states

True!!

I only spent 570.00 CDN on the note 7 because of wind tab upfront. I was paying $25.00 a month untill my tab cleared out. 
So for my options I have this:

1). Get the S7 Edge now at full retail price with the 100 discount now. Maybe upgrade to the S8 edge or note 8 and give the s7e away.
2). Get Pixel XL and hope to get it soon from google play store.
3). Get LG V20 and hope no issues arise.

Or are there any devices that cost less but has really good specs for my use case? Most of the so called mid range devices cost upwards of 600 to 700 in cdn dollars. O.oO.o

the one plus 3 is a good option that isn't crazy expensive. also, getting a pixel xl wouldn't be a horrible idea as they have gotten stellar reviews so far.