So, this guy on youtube said you can see more then 30fps (NSFW)

Mentalguy

Well something you did not take into account is how many frames per second you are actually getting. Rust is terribly optimized so you probably were getting sub 120 anyway.

That is an amazing video. Very well thought out explanation.

When I had my 8350 and 780, I was only getting 45 fps. Game would not play with that hardware combo.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

• 3 months later...
I'm pretty sick and tired of this insane debate especially when coming from big name companies that should do some homework and studying before throwing some dumb marketing at us consumers...

If you are one of those people that states that the human eye can't see past 30 FPS (Frames per second) well than you most likely don't know squat about what you're talking about, just repeating what some good friend of yours naively said or just following whatever marketing crap that was thrown at you.

Think about a single picture... take it a BMP (bitmap) and let's imagine it as being with the resolution of 1920x1080. This is NOT the size of it, as said it is only the dimension of it or the number of pixels (which are points spreaded in a matrix) that our BMP contains.

Therefore 1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels total or ≈2MP (Megapixels).

Being what it is, one single picture we can easily assume or state that that is a 1FPS because there's only one picture and no matter how many seconds have passed you will still only see one picture per second.

And that brings me to the video specially uncompressed video. Not because it works magically differently from any encoded video but because it's a linear way to understand and to test-proof it.

That said, let's imagine that our video has a resolution of 1920x1080, same as our picture from before.

Now the word 'VIDEO' is an actual merge of two words: Videre (from Latin which means 'to see') and Audio (from English).

By now pretty much everyone knows that a video file can contain audio and since the audio is irrelevant for our subject let's completely forget all about it and let us focus on the videre part.

Although new standards are appearing every other day most the video out there are around 24FPS (usually 23.976 FPS but let's not be picky about it...).

This effectively means that for each second (1 second or 1000 milliseconds) 24 pictures are shown, each with that exact same resolution of 2MP.

As most often said 24FPS are pretty much enough for video but terrible for gaming mostly because video is all about pre-existing picture sequence that shows stuff happening "fluently" enough for our brain to process it as "motion picture". (You probably already heard about it... if not you should search about the invention of motion picture.)

Now in gaming you Must have in account the human reaction time ( www.humanbenchmark.com ) which is almost around 1/4 of a second (~215 milliseconds) and after your input into the system, wherever is a PC or a console, it must be processed internally, all the game object recalculated accordingly to the new data inputed and finally renderer into your screen. So in order to be "playable" we need a bigger FPS count than the videos OK 24FPS.

But don't take my word for it... as being a software developer myself, I encourage you all to learn a bit of coding in whatever programming language that suits you and try it your self.

In addition to all this, take in mind that your eye (assuming it's a human eye, of course) with never see a full frame per second or as I call it earlier. That is the way our tech works but not our eyes\brain.

Also, you can watch the following youtube videos to understand better how the human eye actually sees things.

- Explains in down-to-earth language what is frame-rate (FPS) and how our eyes perceive it.

- Explains in down-to-earth language what is resolution and how our eyes perceive it.

I hope this helps to put a term to this discussion and illuminates some knowledge into the world... .. .

CPU: AMD PhenomII X5 965BE, CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Contact 16 CLP0598

MoBo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz,

Grf: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 3GB SLI, Case: NOX Hummer

We all know most of this already.

Fucking idiots, the human eye doesn't see in FPS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

this will immediately shut up any "30fps eye" dolts out there

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Yup. Surprise surprise. The human eye doesn't have a frame shutter.

You are preaching to the choir here, but I will refer stupids I encounter to your post.

But the brain shuts off your eyes when you move the eyeballs  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Please. No more of this shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

"Remember, 'Video' is just a number" - Ubisoft

remember, headaches are just a number. just like how eye strain is a number

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Now the word 'VIDEO' is an actual merge of two words: Videre (from Latin which means 'to see') and Audio (from English).

Now while your completly right with your statements this explanation is afaik wrong: Video is just the first person singular presence form fo videre and therefore just means "I see". When the term video was chosen there was no audio in moving pictures.

Just a heads up.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

fps is a weird thing. if you have never gamed above 30fps, than 30 feels just great. if you experience even 40 or 50 fps one day, 30 suddenly becomes horrible. obviously the cutoff point is different for each person (somewhere between 70 and 120 fps), and what kind of controls you are using makes a massive difference too (mouse/keyboard vs controller for ex.) but at this point those who are arguing that 30 fps is enough are either trolling, have something wrong with their optic nerves, are a PR rep for a game publisher, or have never experienced anything above 30fps.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Now while your completly right with your statements this explanation is afaik wrong: Video is just the first person singular presence form fo videre and therefore just means "I see". When the term video was chosen there was no audio in moving pictures.

Just a heads up.

I stand corrected.

Thanks! I wrote what I knew by heart from what I've learned some time ago...

CPU: AMD PhenomII X5 965BE, CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Contact 16 CLP0598

MoBo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz,

Grf: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 3GB SLI, Case: NOX Hummer

I stand corrected.

Thanks! I wrote what I knew by heart from what I've learned some time ago...

Honestly after I saw your explanation I looked it up myself again. It would perfectly make sense nowadays.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

fps is a weird thing. if you have never gamed above 30fps, than 30 feels just great. if you experience even 40 or 50 fps one day, 30 suddenly becomes horrible. obviously the cutoff point is different for each person (somewhere between 70 and 120 fps), and what kind of controls you are using makes a massive difference too (mouse/keyboard vs controller for ex.) but at this point those who are arguing that 30 fps is enough are either trolling, have something wrong with their optic nerves, are a PR rep for a game publisher, or have never experienced anything above 30fps.

I can agree to a degree. Back in 2006 when I played FlyFF on my potato machine I averaged about 8 ~ 10 FPS in just about any normal situation and about .5 FPS in guild sieges (literal slide show). I used to think that  was smooth. One day I did something and increased my FPS to about 17 and thought to myself, "WOW this is the smoothest shit ever!" Now anything under 60 FPS is shit.

The easiest way to stop these threads is simply challenge every to support their opinions/statements with links to peer reviewed articles published only in respected academic journals.

Good luck proving most of the shit people post.

EDIT: I'd even accept wikipedia seeing as some don't have access to good libraries.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 3 months later...

For the love of me I'd like to bash people who says that. But no I am too nice.

I have encountered a person who says 60FPS in games looks weird because of the "soap opera effect".  

I am like

Triple_facepalm.png

He goes on to say that "fortunately there is a choice so everyone can choose according to their taste"

But the problem with this is if people start to push for 30FPS then we will see more unoptimised garbage on the PC and consoles.

There is no choice here, it is either we get a really good port so we can run 60FPS. Or bad ports where TotalBiscuit's GTX 980 SLI couldn't even maintain 40FPS on low settings of Assassin's Creed Unity.

He further implied that 30/60FPS is SUBJECTIVE which is not true. 60 > 30, that is simple math. And no please don't tell me about the soap opera effect....Nevermind, HE DID.

He starts talking about movies, he says The Hobbit is a good example why we should not watch at 60FPS. This is wrong because because The Hobbit is 48FPS and games do not work the same way.

And I tell him the reason why we use 24FPS in the first place is because of storage and the limitation of films. But no he pretends that 24FPS is there because it is more cinematic. *deskpalm*

And finally another guy said this: "Ubisoft said this [that its more cinematic] because most movies are in 30 fps and it is more cinematic for more people". He believes in Ubisoft....let that thought sink in....

I am not trying to mean but it is very frustrating when I see people say stuff like these.

Do you have a similar tale?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I've NEVER heard someone say 30 fps > 60 fps. Not even on youtube

this

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

For the love of me I'd like to bash people who says that. But no I am too nice.

I have encountered a person who says 60FPS in games looks weird because of the "soa

Do you have a similar tale?

i use it as a joke

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Somewhat off subject the total biscuit thing is weird. He constantly has performance issues with games I don't. Not that unity isn't the worst port of the year but I manage around 50fps maxed with a 780ti and 4790k (there is no difference between low and max on my rig aside from AA)... Unity is not the first game that's happened. Dead rising 3 was another case where he had a titan can barely stayed above 30 yet I managed 60 most of the time.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

One of the reasons why i only hang out with fellow PC gamers.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Never heard someone say its better, only heard people like you talking about them. However, I actually wish many movies were 60fps, as the choppiness of camera panning is sometimes unbearable.

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I've NEVER heard someone say 30 fps > 60 fps. Not even on youtube

Check out the replies from DarkLiberatorZone's comment below at 

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU