what happens if i dont use thermal paste?

lolzisgoodforu

i have a h100i v2 cpu cooler and no thermal paste, what will happen if i turn on my pc without thermal paste? will my cpu just cook?

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

No it will melt..
kidding..
the cpu will trigger the overheating protection and shut down the pc.

oh...... k

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

have you cooked eggs on a CPU IHS before? because that's how you cook eggs xD

Have you cooked pasta on your CPU yet?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

DO you mean a NEW unit that would already have paste applied to the cooler?  They all ship like that, so if it's NEW, the cooler has a square of paste already applied.  Just stick it on and you're fine.

If it's a USED unit and that one time use paste is gone and done... Yeah, don't do that.

Its heat transfer will be significantly less than optimal, and the thermal protection will probably kick in prematurely.  But it should still boot and everything, and not destroy itself.  The whole point of thermal paste isn't to provide broad heat conduction, but is rather just to fill in the discontinuities between the two surfaces, ie: the CPU and the heatsink. 

20 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

i have a h100i v2 cpu cooler and no thermal paste, what will happen if i turn on my pc without thermal paste? will my cpu just cook?

If your CPU doesn't have any overheat protection, then it might cook.

Or it'll just run very hot and slow.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

DO you mean a NEW unit that would already have paste applied to the cooler?  They all ship like that, so if it's NEW, the cooler has a square of paste already applied.  Just stick it on and you're fine.

If it's a USED unit and that one time use paste is gone and done... Yeah, don't do that.

yeah ive used it, it doesnt have any paste on it

1 minute ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

the cpu god will kill you if you dont add the paste

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

If the CPU overheats it will throttle and undervolt the CPU to produce less heat and if it isn't enough at certain temperature it will shut down. You'd have to get really olds CPUs/MBs to not have overtemperature protection.

Thermal paste fills the gaps between the CPU and cooler to improve heat transfer. If you don't put thermal paste you're just making it less efficient, it might be on safe temps or not but it could be way better with thermal paste.

This is a signature.

Thermal paste (either pre-applied or aftermarket) is necessary to bridge the minute gaps between the lid of the CPU and the base of the heat sink. Without it, you have far less contact between the two surfaces, which will result in a loss of performance of the cooler. This could in turn result in anything from a moderately higher CPU temp, right up to CPU throttling (due to overheating) or the thermal trip being triggered (CPU shutdown).

TL;DR You're unlikely to damage anything, but there's no reason not to use thermal paste.

15 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

Then for gods sake don't do that.  Just buy new thermal paste.

14 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

You can buy tubes of it for like a $1, or use mayonnaise, not recommended though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, bob51zhang said:

Have you cooked pasta on your CPU yet?

toothpaste counts?^_^

23 minutes ago, zMeul said:

toothpaste counts?^_^

I think he really meant pasta. Not paste...

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B